• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 41 apache
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2016

Scope mount height need help.

Just got a scope for a future 6.5 AA build my question is what height for the mount should i be looking at? The scope is 50mm 3x15 Steiner. The upper i have now is a 20"AA 5.56. Any advice would be great thanks.
  • ricsmall
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Any reflex style ar 15 mount should work. Is that a 34mm tube? If so you're choices will narrow some but they're still out there. I like the Leupold IMS Mark 2 mount. If it's 34mm the mark 4. There are others, I know these are good mounts.

Richard
    Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by 41 apache View Post
      Just got a scope for a future 6.5 AA build my question is what height for the mount should i be looking at? The scope is 50mm 3x15 Steiner. The upper i have now is a 20"AA 5.56. Any advice would be great thanks.
      41:

Of course the minimum height is that which the objective lens clears the forend.

The best height is that which allows your head to remain in a neutral position when you are shooting. Much greater precision when the rifle fits you.

Most likely you will be using a high mount.

LR55

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
        Chieftain
        • May 2012

high or extra high to comfortably mount on an ar but i would get a ar specific mount such as those made by larue or any other similar mount made by nearly every company now
        Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Slappy
          Warrior
          • Feb 2014

On all of mine I use extra high, and Burris mounts. It helps if you know someone that has a shop that sells rings and if he has a couple different ones you can try till you figure out what works for you.

Oh ya and BANG BANG!!
          Last edited by Slappy; 05-06-2016, 03:43 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

What stock do you have, and what will you be purposing this build for?

Everyone's cheek anatomy is different, so the zygomatic bone location in relation to your orbits and eye location really determine what the optimal scope height will be for you.

A 50mm objective is not hard to clear from the handguard, so extra high rings or mounts are not necessary.

I would look at the mid-height NightForce Unimount in 34mm and a handguard with clearance if necessary.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Slappy
              Warrior
              • Feb 2014

^^^ From above with bigger scopes you need height so the scope will not hit the hand guard too. There are some things to think about.

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

I doubt if you need a mount that is any higher than the standard 1.4-1.5" above the receiver. Even with a 20MOA forward cant that 50mm objective should still clear the handguard. 1.4-1.5" is also about right for most people's cheek weld on a normal non-height-adjustable stock.

I use a 42mm objective with a 1.46" high mount and 20MOA cant. There is a generous 10mm gap between the objective and the handguard. A 50mm would need about 5-6mm of that gap.
                Last edited by Klem; 05-06-2016, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X