• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drillbit
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2015

Primary Arms 1-6X ACSS

I have a new Grendel on the way(about 2 months out, yet), and I've heard good things about the Primary Arms 1-6X ACSS scope, and was wondering if anyone here had tried it out on their Grendel yet. It sounds like a great value-priced scope, but wonder how the ACSS works with the Grendel, seeing as how it was designed for 5.56/.308 rounds.
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by drillbit View Post
    I have a new Grendel on the way(about 2 months out, yet), and I've heard good things about the Primary Arms 1-6X ACSS scope, and was wondering if anyone here had tried it out on their Grendel yet. It sounds like a great value-priced scope, but wonder how the ACSS works with the Grendel, seeing as how it was designed for 5.56/.308 rounds.
    DB:

I have a lot of experience with low powered optics that use reticles like this ACSS -- which is nothing new.

Basically, it is intended for combat where a hit anywhere is good enough and shots past about 300 are problematic.

What do you want it for?

LR55

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

I wanted to try a variable low power optic as they seem to be getting pretty popular. As I get older my eye sight is not what it used to be and I caught a Vortex Strike Eagle on sale at Primary Arms for a great price. Rumor has it the Strike Eagle and Primary Arms 1-6 ACSS are probably manufactured in the same factory in China.

The glass on my Strike Eagle is pretty good but there is a very slight distortion around the outer edge of the glass when viewed on 6 power. The scope is bigger once mounted than I expected but it has not proven to be so heavy that I wouldn't use it. I bought the Vortex CM-202 mount which gives lower 1/3 co witness. This mount gives plenty of clearence for use with fixed front sights on AR-15's and still works with a good cheek weld on my Tavor.

I first mounted the SE scope on a couple different 22 LR AR-15's and used it in close in snap shooting. It is currently mounted on a 16" mid length 1:7 twist 5.56 AR-15. I was shooting this rifle Friday and had no trouble hitting a 6" steel plate at 200 yards. Unfortunately the rain/lightening moved in and had to quit shooting.

I still haven't decided if I like the 1-6 better than a 3-9 or 2.5-10 scope. The Strike Eagle is not as quick as a red dot sight and I definitely notice the tube during snap shooting. On 1X the target appears smaller at 50 yards than when looking through through a red dot sight. The Strike Eagle has equivlent bulk to my Leupold Mark AR 3-9 scope. I'll need a timer to tell the difference between shooting the Strike Eagle against a red dot sight, 3-9 or 2.5-10 scope. My guess is the Strike Eagle will be slower than a red dot but very close to acquisition time using a 2.5-10 scope.

The Strike Eagle works pretty good in low light. I've taken it out a couple of times at sunset and with the lighted reticle could be used effectively for hunting deer in low light situations. The SE worked really well with a tactical light at night with no moon and very little ambient light. I had no issues using the SE with varied lighting where dust to dawn lights were present.

The zoom ring on my Strike Eagle is stiff and if I were to use this scope in competition I'd have to add a throw lever. I really believe the 1-6 powered scopes are aimed at the three gun market. I can see why shooters are using the off set 45 degree mount RDS or irons even with a LPV scope.

I have noticed an occassional fish eye with the SE but adjusting the diopter mitigates this effect. The lighted reticle looks brownish bronze to me at the lower intensity settings in normal light. I prefer the black etched reticle during daylight in all but very shaded conditions. For me shooting the Strike Eagle is more like a traditional rifle scope even with lighted reticle illuminated at it's highest setting. I normally shoot red dots and scopes with both eyes open at close range but I notice the tube more on a SE than a red dot sight like a Aimpoint Pro or Vortex Strikefire. I like the etched reticle which is very intuitive and will always be available even with a dead battery or if the electronics fail.

I used a Ballistic Calculator to compare the use of different cartridges to the reticle of the Strike Eagle. I think the ACSS reticle would provide adequate ranging for 300 yards and in with the 6.5 Grendel cartridge. Unless you have a good memory or acess to the drop chart in relation to hash marks I don't think the hold overs would be sufficient at longer range hunting. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking a shot at an antelope at 425 yards with a 1-6 variable. I wouldn't hesitate to use the ACSS 1-6 for deer at 250 yards.

For a 16"-18" 6.5 Grendel I think I would buy a 2.5-10 X 32, 2.5-10 X 40-44 or 3-9 scope before a 1-6. I really don't notice a significant difference in field of view with the SE but I like the extra magnification of the 9-10 power optics. I don't normally use a 6.5 Grendel for CQB and I like at least 9-10 power for shooting targets. My judgement is reflected by my terrain in the midwest. I have wooded areas as well as open fields during most of the year. For a truck gun where the rifle might be used for CQB or targets of opportunity in various lighting conditions the SE might be viable.

For now my SE will stay mounted on my 5.56 AR-15.

Sorry I got long winded but since the PA 1-6 is so similar to the SE I thought my observations might help you decide. I don't regret buying the SE but it is not quite as versatile as I expected. It is hard to design a product that covers every precieved need. The SE 1-6 appears to be targeted at the CQB or 2-3 gun games.
      Last edited by VASCAR2; 09-18-2016, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• newb
        Warrior
        • Feb 2015

Old thread but I have some info to add in case anyone stumbles upon this.

PA has a 1-8x for the price of the SE now.

SE vs PA.... pretty darn close as far as the glass goes. Vortex has a smoother zoom adjustment.

SWFA is another option. Friend of mine uses the HD model for 3 gun with great results (although far pricier than either the PA or the SE).

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
          Warrior
          • Aug 2015

VASCAR - that's a great writeup. Thanks for that. I've been looking at the PA 1-6 and the SE 1-6 for awhile now and this is good information to know. I think I'll stick with a 2-7 in the lighter 1" tube for my lower magnification scope needs. 2x seems low enough power for me to shoot close-in targets quickly but the high end of 7 is really handy for 200+ yard shots.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Thanks, I was shooting my rifles Saturday under very good conditions. I shot several rifles at a 6" circle AR-500 steel target at 300 yards. I tried the SE using the 300 yard hash mark with 55 grain FMJ hand load and was able to connect consistently. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to use the SE past 300 yards.

Comment

Working...
            X