• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rickc
    Warrior
    • Aug 2016

Optics Choice

Well I built this lightweight Grendel for hog hunting. The optic I picked was the vortex HS-T 4-14. I have plenty of range guns. this one's only visits to the range will be sight in and load development. Most shooting will be inside 200 yrds

This scope has tall target turrets. I wonder how they will handle brush popping in the thick swamps of S. Ga and N. Florida. Have any of you had problems with the elevation and windage knobs getting bumped.

Thinking about this I found the leupold VX-3i 4.5-14has capped turrets and is available with CDS. With CDS and the windplex reticle it might be a better choice

light weight is definitely a factor in this decision. vx-3i weighs 15.6 oz HS-T weighs 20.8 oz

Cost is about the same.

Thoughts?????
    Last edited by Rickc; 10-08-2016, 12:39 AM.
  • kmon
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2015

200 and in on hogs in possibly thick cover I would go with less magnification. Something more like 1-6 or 2-7 are in my favorites in shorter yardage guns and they are generally lighter weight. I want locking turrets on a hunting rifle that might be used hunting a lot. Have had one instance where I shot over the back of a bull elk due to one being moved, big oops.

Comment

• diddlyv
      Warrior
      • Aug 2016

I have the VX3I you mentioned in a 30 mm tube sitting on my Tikka 7 MM mag. The scope I put on my Grendel for hogs is the Leupold AR MOD 3-9 x with Firefly TMR reticle. If it is legal to bust hogs at night the lighted reticle is a great tool. Also the swamps can be pretty dark on overcast days or early morning / late afternoon and evening. Could not hurt to have a lighted reticle. Some like the Leupold AR Patrol as it has VX3 glass and is available with a lighted reticle.
      Queen of Battle
      Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• cory
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by kmon View Post
        200 and in on hogs in possibly thick cover I would go with less magnification. Something more like 1-6 or 2-7 are in my favorites in shorter yardage guns and they are generally lighter weight. I want locking turrets on a hunting rifle that might be used hunting a lot. Have had one instance where I shot over the back of a bull elk due to one being moved, big oops.
        This^! I'd want at the very least 2.5x on the low end, prefer a 1x.
        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

4-14x for hig hunting in those conditions is a bit much on magnification, more suited for target work.

The Vortex 1-6x Strike Eagle would be better.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Rickc
            Warrior
            • Aug 2016

Thanks for the input. I will be checking out lower magnification and lighter

Comment

• Frank45
              Warrior
              • Mar 2016

I have VX-R 2-7 that I am pretty happy with and I don't really think you can go wrong with Vortex stuff for the money.

Comment

• Maverick
                Unwashed
                • Jul 2016

I have the Primary Arms 1-6x with the ACSS reticle. It is a very good optic. Think of the Strike Eagle, and it is almost the exact same scope, but for less $. I am getting a bigger scope, so this will be for sale on here in a little bit. It is an excellent scope, just needed something that can reach out and get a little more distance.

Comment

• henschman
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jun 2016

The ACSS has a better reticle too... I don't know why the Strike Eagle is so much more popular. Still, for hunting, I would really try to get out of Chinese glass like those, and at least into a Philippine Burris TAC30/MTAC or American Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 or VX-R Patrol. You may not notice a huge difference between the glass looking through them in a store, but low light performance will make you a believer.

Yes, exposed turrets can be a problem in the field. I like to put a piece of electrician's tape over the turrets on my Mark AR Mod 1 3-9x I have on my 6.8 hunting rig.

Comment

Working...
                  X