Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 FFP EBR-1 thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cuppednlocked
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2016

Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 FFP EBR-1 thoughts?

I am thinking about getting the Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 FFP EBR-1 scope for my Grendel build (16" barrel) and putting it in an ADM AD-Recon 30 cantilever mount.

Does anyone have experience with that scope? It will be mostly a hunting rifle so I don't want to put a large objective to save weight. Will the 32mm lens hinder me early/late or will the illuminated reticle overcome the issue?

I typically have 50mm objective lenses on my hunting rifles.
  • RicosRevenge
    Warrior
    • Jan 2016

I have hunted with a Vortex Razor 1-4x with a 24mm OL. Good glass can overcome a lot of OL size and granted, this is Razor glass vs. PST glass but I haven't had any issues with borderline dark shots.

An illuminated reticle won't overcome anything except to allow you to not lose the black crosshairs in the black background. Keep in mind that when you use an illuminated reticle; you want to keep the brightness as low as possible so that it does not create glare in the scope.

Also, as it gets darker - as you are probably aware - make sure you lower your power to help out.
    Last edited by RicosRevenge; 11-21-2016, 08:58 PM.

Comment

• Lightning8
      Warrior
      • Jun 2015

I have heard mixed reviews of using a FFP versus a SFP on a hunting scope. Vortex now has added another line of hunting scopes - the Vortex Razor LH in 1.5x8, 2x10, and 3x15 (I think). I have a Vortex LH in 1.5 x 8 on a hunting rifle and plan to add a 2x10 on another hunting rifle.

Comment

• Rickc
        Warrior
        • Aug 2016

I have the PST SFP 2.5-10 it has a 44 mm objective. I really like it

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

I have both the Viper PST 2.5-10x32 and 2.5-10x44. They are both nice little scopes that do a lot.

With a 2.5-10x, they found that anything over 32mm objective is a waste of lens, and can't provide any more light transmission.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Cuppednlocked
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2016

EP,
            That is what got me thinking about it.

Comment

• ScoutH57
              Bloodstained
              • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Cuppednlocked View Post
              EP,
              That is what got me thinking about it.
              I have the 2.5 -10x33 FFP EBR-1 MRAD in an American Defense mount. Love the scope, in my experience one of the best scopes in their price range, glass quality and build quality is excellent. I actually do a lot of low light hog hunting with it.

SFP vs is FFP for hunting is highly subjective. I prefer FFP myself.

Its on my all around hunting and target 18 inch 6.5 Grendel. 10x is plenty of magnification for a lot of things and it's handy that it goes down to 2.5x and the illuminated reticle make it pretty quick for blasting piggies if I'm in a densely wooded area.

Last edited by ScoutH57; 11-25-2016, 09:17 PM.

Comment

• Kilco
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2016

Wow that's a good looking rifle!
                LRRPF52 I couldn't agree more. I've mounted a few 50mm objectives on AR15 and I always found it makes them very top heavy and somewhat gorky. The 2.5-10x32 is IDEAL for a spr type AR of any caliber.

Comment

• 1075 tech
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2015

cameralandny.com has the Viper PST 2.5-10x44 EBR-1 MRAD for $449.99 While supplies last. http://cameralandny.com/spec-sheet.html?catalog[name]=Vortex-Viper-PST-2.5-10x44---EBR-1-MRAD-%23PST-210S1-M-viper-ps&catalog[product_guids][0]=1116726#category_1

Comment

Working...
                  X