Yet another "what optic" thread (3 gun)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another "what optic" thread (3 gun)

So I've pored over the existing threads, haven't found something _quite_ what I'm looking for (or so I think), so I'll just pop a question here (and, yes, this is my first post, I promise post #2 will be in the intro forums ).

I am looking at getting a Grendel upper for 3 gun shoots.. I usually shoot those matches at the Best of The West range (same place where LaRue hosts their Tactical Range Day). These matches sometimes have targets out to 500-600m, and my GRSC 1-4x (http://grscinc.com/) and my 5.56 doesn't really cut it (the shooter is pretty sucky too, but that's a different story).

What I'm looking for:
    • Something that lets me at least see enough of a LaRue TG1 target out to 600m that won't turn me into a hopeless dial-fiddler (Example: One stage we engaged had targets at 10m, 100m, 200m, then 500m - I'm fine to 200m, but if those 500m targets were an advancing horde of zombies, I'd have had to wait until they got to the 200m range). I'm thinking 9 or 10x would be fine out to that range.
    • Budget is under $1000. Please spare the "Buy once, cry once" quotes. I get it. $1000 is my budget, let's work within that. Something between a Millet and an IOR, but not either one of those (please, dear God, not a Millet ). I'm guessing folks will be talking Vortex, SWFA, Burris, etc. I'm really interested in hearing experience that folks have, rather than just rattling off specs. I haz googlez.
    • Would really prefer illiminated reticle
    • Reticle should be pretty basic mil-dot. My experience with the GRSC is that a busy reticle is pretty distracting to my old eyeballs
    • Not interested in a BDC feature at all
    • FFP would also be preferred
    • 30mm tube, cuz that's what my Burris PEPR mount fits
    • I will have offset iron sights, so I'm not worried about targets inside 100 yds
    • Oh, and since I don't intend to use this scope beyond 600m, I don't think adjustable parallax is necessary.

Not sure if I've forgotten other important criteria. Hopefully I gave a good description of how I will actually USE the scope.

ok...let the jabberjawing begin!
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Ideally, there would be a really cool 1-10X in that range, but no such luck.

So, for that use, I would mount a Doctor Red Dot on a side mount and shoot a Vortex 2.5-10X, http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...1-mrad-reticle. You can pull that off in your price range.

Heres a pic of my setup, except I'm using a Nikon Tactical scope. Their price has jumped a lot, so you can't pull it off in your price range, but the Vortex scopes are getting great reviews.

Comment

• jwilson1985

its going to be hard for quick target aquisition with at size scope at close range even on low power need to go to a 1-6 or so
      Last edited by Guest; 10-24-2011, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jwilson1985 View Post
        for 3 gun you will want a 1-4 or 1-6 look at the beowulf optic thread to see what im running
        I've run with a 1-4 before and couldn't engage targets at 500m I guess I'm looking for something to compensate for my suckiness My thinking is that 1-6 is just a little too shy as well, but 1-8 would work.

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
          Ideally, there would be a really cool 1-10X in that range, but no such luck.

Buy here http://www.kelbly.com/
          Last edited by Guest; 10-24-2011, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Um, aren't those scopes > $2500? I mean, they're March scopes. Pretty much the Bentley of the scope world. I'm really more in the VW category.

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by OldCannon View Post
              Um, aren't those scopes > $2500? I mean, they're March scopes. Pretty much the Bentley of the scope world. I'm really more in the VW category.
              Yep, I knew about those. Great scopes, but $$$$$$!!!!!!!!

The set up I mentioned was specifically thought through for the 3Gun situation with long range targets instead of the typical shorter range stuff. (Not by me, I bought the rig set up that way! I'm not that smart!)

You use the Doctor Red Dot for the short stuff, and then transition to the scope, set up however you prefer. I leave it at 10X and transition at about 50 yards. I have no problem doing that, but I have worked on shooting even the scope with both eyes open in that situation. (I don't shoot competitive 3 gun, so I can't promise you it will work, but I've seen plenty of guys do it)

Comment

• jwilson1985

ya most of our gus run main optic then a flip ups or dot at the 11 o=clock on the rail

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

So I've pored over the existing threads, haven't found something _quite_ what I'm looking for (or so I think), so I'll just pop a question here (and, yes, this is my first post, I promise post #2 will be in the intro forums ).

I am looking at getting a Grendel upper for 3 gun shoots.. I usually shoot those matches at the Best of The West range (same place where LaRue hosts their Tactical Range Day). These matches sometimes have targets out to 500-600m, and my GRSC 1-4x (http://grscinc.com/) and my 5.56 doesn't really cut it (the shooter is pretty sucky too, but that's a different story).

What I'm looking for:
                  • Something that lets me at least see enough of a LaRue TG1 target out to 600m that won't turn me into a hopeless dial-fiddler (Example: One stage we engaged had targets at 10m, 100m, 200m, then 500m - I'm fine to 200m, but if those 500m targets were an advancing horde of zombies, I'd have had to wait until they got to the 200m range). I'm thinking 9 or 10x would be fine out to that range.
                  • Budget is under $1000. Please spare the "Buy once, cry once" quotes. I get it. $1000 is my budget, let's work within that. Something between a Millet and an IOR, but not either one of those (please, dear God, not a Millet ). I'm guessing folks will be talking Vortex, SWFA, Burris, etc. I'm really interested in hearing experience that folks have, rather than just rattling off specs. I haz googlez.
                  • Would really prefer illiminated reticle
                  • Reticle should be pretty basic mil-dot. My experience with the GRSC is that a busy reticle is pretty distracting to my old eyeballs
                  • Not interested in a BDC feature at all
                  • FFP would also be preferred
                  • 30mm tube, cuz that's what my Burris PEPR mount fits
                  • I will have offset iron sights, so I'm not worried about targets inside 100 yds
                  • Oh, and since I don't intend to use this scope beyond 600m, I don't think adjustable parallax is necessary.

Not sure if I've forgotten other important criteria. Hopefully I gave a good description of how I will actually USE the scope.

ok...let the jabberjawing begin!
                  OC:

I have an illuminated Leupold MR-T with the TMR reticle I will sell to you if you are interested. It sounds much like what you want although the TMR reticle is not a MIL Dot.

I think it would fit what you want very well.

PM me if you are interested.

LR1955

Comment

yep 2500$ illuminated 1600$ non illuminated with tactical turrets

Or this one 599$ FFP Mil/Mil 3-9 http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tacti...pe-P41044.aspx
                    Last edited by Guest; 10-24-2011, 05:51 PM.

Comment

LR1955's Leupold MR/T w/TMR reticle would actually be one that fits the bill, since you have offset irons.

Comment

• Brian
                        Bloodstained
                        • Mar 2011

Swaro 1-6

Comment

Thanks for all the input, folks! I think I'm gong to go with a Vortex PST. The Leopold MR/T was sooo tempting, but I think the Vortex will suit my needs nicely. At least until I strike it rich and can get whatever I want

Comment

you know, I must admit and say that I've never shot 3gun before. So I don't know what my input is worth.

So, what are the average target sizes for the further distances of your course? Is it because you can't see the targets with as little magnification? Do you have to range them with a tiny reticle or something, and range estimation is off? Or how are you using your equipment? Do you take the time to actually adjust the scope, or are you trying to rely on the reticle for hold off? How much shooting have you done at these distances, and how consistent are your hand loads?

As for scopes, I would look at something in the realm of a 4 to 14x. I recently got myself the 6-24 PST FFP with the MOA reticle. I am really liking it. I've become fond of Vortex optics. Right now, I am intrigued by the Falcon Menace offerings. I'm really thinking about getting one of those. The question is, the 1.5 to 5, or the 4 to 14? Hmmm, I don't know.

Comment

I'm getting the 2.5-10x. I have a GRSC 1-4x already and it's great for stages that are within 200yds. For stages that drive out to 500-600yds, I need something more.

Comment

Working...
                              X