Opinions on these optics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on these optics

everytime i go to my range in north texas they advertise the crap out of these scopes
    "best scope for your money" blah blah blah.that sort of thing. Just wondering if anybody owns one. Im still purchasing a vortex but curious about these
  • mtn_shooter

I don't see anything too impressive. If people at your range have them, see if you can try one out, maybe try to run a box drill etc.

If it were me, Vortex wins over noname regardless.

Comment

• jwilson1985

u want a good and good priced scope get the konus pro m30 like on my rifle and quadfather runs the same the compare it with the mark4 its a second focal plane etched glass milldot illuminated blue or red locking sniper turetts ill take sum pics of mine and post for you they will be in the 350.-450. price range depending on size has same no falt no bs warrenty as vortex is it a vortex no but its also not 2400 bux for the same options...now ill have a vortex one day ill post pics up of mine in a few

Comment

Those explore optics scream of "made in China". Avoid them and put any money you would waste on a Made in China optic towards a quality scope mount, because the prices are about the same..

1 Made in USA quality scope mount = 1 Made in China POS, plastic or cast pot metal gear scope price point. The actual value is in the USA-made mount, with negative value in the China garbage...i.e. once it breaks, it's worthless to you, and what level of confidence will you have in the "new" one they send you...

China glass is ok for a .22 if you get the low-end Vortex Crossfire series, or for airsoft. The gears break, the tube will become dislodged in the scope body, gears slip, knobs fall off, lenses go off-center, glass yellows quickly with exposure to air, etc. They are basically a scam sold at gun shows, at 3x the money that is in them. They should be banned from importation into the US, in my opinion.

If you want decent-to-high quality Asian glass, go Korea, Philippines, and Japan, with Japan being the best of the three.

Comment

I figured they were. Haven't been to the range in a while. Next time i go ill ask if i can use one of their scopes for a session with my 300 wby mag to test out its recoil sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by YutYut View Post
            I figured they were. Haven't been to the range in a while. Next time i go ill ask if i can use one of their scopes for a session with my 300 wby mag to test out its recoil sensitivity.
            Tell 'em to get the box and shipping label ready for a return before you start shooting.

Comment

• jwilson1985

look at the konus its europeian glass and the company is out of florda like i said i will one day have a razor hd but intill i get 2400 bux ...you cant beat the company or the scope for the price i made a post about it...didnt wanna steal ur thread mabey quadfather can chime in how he likes his

Comment

I got rid of my MK IV for a Viper PST. I have never looked back. Talked one of my buddies into a Vortex, and he dropped his rifle off the back of his truck when we were out hunting coyotes one day (forgot it on the tailgate) and it made pretty good scrapes on it, but never lost zero, and still runs true today (a few years later). We are not nice to our equipment, and Vortex has never let me down... I'm trying to switch everything I have to them.

Comment

• jwilson1985

sniper ya i done the same thing with the scope i have oh i was butt hurt scratched it lol but then went shot it and held zero it lander rite on they goofy scope ....but i really do wand a razor hd -those of you that haven had a chance to look through one its undiscribable lol but its 2400 bux so it better be...yut ya those scopes u posted do scream china

Comment

I have a guy that I know that is a Vortex dealer, and he forgot to bring one to a swap meet we did, but he said he would almost put it OVER Nightforce. I have never personally seen a NF outside in the elements, only in the stores, but I think if you can do a side by side, a lot of people are super hardcore on Vortex. I know they have a pretty long wait for them on from the factory...

Comment

• jwilson1985

ya i know the guys that demo them at show personaly cause one of them shoots a loki rifle in 3 gun i think the are better then a NF i think that the name NF is bigger i would say the razor hd is better then anything i have seen ....for the exception of a scope bill alexander has that i seen a the rock castle shoot i cant even remember the name but i remember how positive the clicks were and how true it was to the box test but it was also $11,000.00 lol no that was not a typo

Comment

The Razor HD 5-20x50 is priced under $1999 retail. I'm not sure where you're seeing it for $2400, but that is way over MSRP. You can probably get a better deal from Liberty Optics, but that is a big scope for an AR15. I recently compared a NF NXS 5.5-22x56 and a Razor HD 5-20x50, and the NF had a very slight edge over the Razor for glass clarity, but it was indoors and ever-so-slight.

I am a huge fan of Vortex for people on an under $1k budget. The NF scopes are made with top-end components, and not made on a price-point scale, so they have some pretty extreme durability that is the current industry standard, probably followed by USO, Vortex, S&B, and Leupold in that order. I think the Viper PST's are the best value and size/capability match right now for Grendel AR15's in the 16"-26" barrel lengths. If you have the money, and demand superior glass, I would look at the NF, Premier, and USO tubes for a Grendel if you have a 20"-28" barrel and are really hopeful about long-range performance.

If you are on an under $500 budget, the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 and 6.5-20x50 scopes are hard to beat as well. The one I had, that a friend bought off me has been shot in extreme heat, down to extreme cold in well below sub-zero temps, and always returns to zero...passes box test, and has clear glass with a simple mil dot reticle.

Comment

• jwilson1985

well i was getting the price from their book that is in front of me but their website says 1599. so eather a misprint or they changed their minds...but i dont pay retail anyway . :-p

Comment

$1599 is for the 1-4x Razor HD.

Comment

When it comes to optics, be careful, especially in the realm of low priced stuff. Finding gems at a low price is the hardest thing to do. If the scope has only one design flaw, then it can render the whole optic useless. 1/8 moa adjustment for instance, and the whole 7.5 moa turret rotations. Things like that just defy logic. I've dropped money on a cheap BSA BOSS before, and it was the worst optics purchase I ever made. It wasn't because I wasn't happy with the reticle, optics, or anything like that. It was because it was designed by a dumb engineer that simply got paid to design a part. In this case, it was pull up finger adjustable "target turrets" that couldn't be reset to zero. Sure, it was 80 bucks, but it was 80 bucks completely wasted. and really, who in their right mind designs target turrets that can't be zeroed?

On the other hand, there are those unique curiosities or hidden gems out there. You just have to know the risk in looking for them. Me, I often seem to take the risk. It's a learning process, and I'm getting better at it.

When it comes to optics though, I think that "Optics Thoughts" is a great resource.

As for actual optics and such, I know nothing, except that decent optics sure do help the farther out you shoot.

Comment

Working...
                              X