X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grendel's with Trijicon AGOGs

Gents,

I've purchased a Sabre Defence mid-length
    6.5 Grendel Upper, with a 16inch barrel.

I am interested in purchasing a Trijicon ACOG
    for this particular rifle.

I request any and all advice, pros-cons, and recommendations.

I'm an experienced TA01NSN user with 5.56 rifles.

Thank you!

It is OK for general purposes, but not great for hunting or precision work.

They are quite expensive for what you get, I understand it is what you are used to.

Try one of these instead.

SWFA is an optics manufacturing specializing in rifle scopes built for tactical, hunting, and long range shooting known for quality and precision optics.

They also have a 2.5-10x in that same series that is probably the ideal scope for your needs until you start getting into .338 Lapua ranges

Comment

I went to the 6x ACOG and love it........ use it in conjunction w/ PVs 14 and soon hopefully w/ thermal monocular. It is stricktly a hunting rifle we use for pigs and in the process of purchasing my second upper; devestating round on hogs.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Believer, glad to hear you like your ACOG 6.5 Grendel combo. I'm supposed to go hog hunting in Texas early next March and was curious what barrel length your using and what ammo. A buddy of mine doesn't like my idea of using the 16" 6.5 Grendel but he is a believer in bolt guns for hunting and the bigger cartridge the better. From what I read the 6.5 G is enough but I think he's afraid we'll run into hogzilla!

Comment

I have a hunting ministry in TX "Hogs for a Cause" Barrel is 18" and am shooting 129SSTs hand loaded w/ 30.3 grns 748 cci primers..... not a recomendation for you or your rifle.....just works in mine....... devastating on hogs....... had a complete severed spine........ got head and tail mixed up on a dark night shot one in the rump......went 30 yards and down......... tried running when I walked up but was quickly dispatched...... most are bang /flop or DRT dead right there.... I use the AR config because we run into sounders as big as 100+ animals and I want a lot of follow up shots/meat is used to feed struggling families.......

Comment

• Texas Grendel-ier

Another to consider is Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32,19 oz.wt., F.O.V. 44'-11',np-1 LV (or mv) reticle, (or "hollow" mil-dot).This is what I have on the way with LaRue LT-104 mount for an A.A. 19.5" Shilen I have on order. It is NVD compatible plus you will have the 10 x magnification available to take advantage of the Grendels extended range. Check out tacticalgunfan.com and view Fortiers artical "Points To Consider When Choosing A Tactical Scope". Also check : opticstalk.com/low-light-scope-test-2. This article is by Bill Wilson and he is a serious hog hunter.Another very interesting and impressive scope is the Valdada 2-12x32 SF Tactical Scope Illum. MP-8 . With this one take note of wt.(28oz.),requires 35mm mounts and that it is made in Romania-damn good quality but even with a lifetime warranty how do we know that import/export rules won't change and then your warranty is ?.Alexander Arms offers a Meopta ( I beleive 2-8 with quality mount) that is less money but an excellent choice-it should be considered.I have Trijicon for AR-15 & AR-10 but i want more range (and still have large FOV at close range)for the Grendel.Just my opinion and we all know what opinions are like....

Comment

• Texas Grendel-ier

Warped made a good call-also Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 Illum.EBR1,FOV is 47-10.9,18.4 oz.,30mm. Remember this-the most expensive scope you will ever buy is a cheap one that you will spend untold amounts of ammo and time trying to get it to hold a zero ,give up on it and THEN have to save up to get the scope you really wanted in the first place.

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

I run a Nikon on mine. This one:

This website is for sale! nikonhunting.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, nikonhunting.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Turned down to 2.5 it works fine for up close work, and I've shot it out to 700 yards with good success. The street price is closer to $800, and the glass is comparable to a Night Force. Comparable at a better price works for me! (I use a NF on my long range rifle, though, and would spend the money on a Nightforce if I didn't have this Nikon!)

Last edited by bwaites; 03-22-2011, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the enlightenment Gents!

Comment

• LR1955
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by myitinaw View Post
                    Gents, I've purchased a Sabre Defence mid-length 6.5 Grendel Upper, with a 16inch barrel.
                    I am interested in purchasing a Trijicon ACOG for this particular rifle. I request any and all advice, pros-cons, and recommendations. I'm an experienced TA01NSN user with 5.56 rifles. Thank you!
                    MY:

Couldn't help it.

If you are an experienced user of the issued ACOG, what would possess you to want to spend a cent of your own money on one?

You have much better choices at the same or lower costs.

So, what purpose do you have in mind for the optic and rifle combination? Type of target, nature of the target, distances, and how much precision are you willing to give up for speed? Or, how much speed are you willing to give up for precision?

LR1955

Comment

Not looking to do any tack-driving, just a 300M or less battle rifle.

Comment

• Bob Duncan

I just had an experience with Vortex customer service. I sent them a scope for a reticle upgrade. They got it today at 9:48am. It was picked up by fedex for return shipment at 3:34pm. FWIW

Comment

Originally posted by myitinaw View Post
                          Gents,

I've purchased a Sabre Defence mid-length
                          6.5 Grendel Upper, with a 16inch barrel.

I am interested in purchasing a Trijicon ACOG
                          for this particular rifle.

I request any and all advice, pros-cons, and recommendations.

I'm an experienced TA01NSN user with 5.56 rifles.

Thank you!
                          I bought a TA11-308 because the trajectory of the 6.5G is close enough to the 7.62NATO that they'll be on target, particularly if you've sighted in with the scope and done a good job.

I chose the green reticle because it's the most visible (via tests) under all conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by fastpat View Post
                            I bought a TA11-308 because the trajectory of the 6.5G is close enough to the 7.62NATO that they'll be on target, particularly if you've sighted in with the scope and done a good job.

I chose the green reticle because it's the most visible (via tests) under all conditions.
                            I've been looking at the Ta11 and TA-31 models and trying to figure out which would be best match my 16" grendel. It seems like neither is perfect, but the .308 may be closer. I am only looking at the drops out to 400 yards...with a 200 yard zero.

From what I have read, most of the ACOGs want you to zero at 200...which gives you almost a zero at 50 yards, too.....and you be shooting about an inch or so high at 100. for those distances, it would seem that any of the ACOGs will work on a grendel, but after that it is hard to figure out which one has the closer bullet drop hash marks.

I have shot a ta-11 (red donut) on my grendel one day at the range, but I was only shooting at 100 yards. I loved the super clear glass and wide field of view on it. I wasn't a fan of the donut reticle and would likely end up getting a green horseshoe or a crosshair reticle. I think the .308 BDC aren't available in the smaller ta-31 though.

Comment

You don't have to worry about bullet drop compensators on ACOG's so much because the distances where trajectory will really come into play are well out of the TA01, TA11 and TA31 ACOGs' practical magnification range. A simple zero @ 100 will give you trajectories out to 300 and 400, where you are pushing the limitations of those optics for anything other than getting a hit on a silhouette.

My experience with the ACOG's is that the exit pupil is horrible, the eye relief is much too close, the scope features aren't all that suited for a well-trained marksman, and the price is way too high. For an entry-level soldier, maybe it makes an acceptable combat optic that can take some pretty serious abuse, but there clearly are much better options for half the price.

I would look at some of the Vortex, NF, and maybe even a Super Sniper 3-9x FFP MRAD/MRAD. If you have the budget for an ACOG, you can certainly get a great 1-4x or 2.5-10x optic in a compact package, and still afford a top-end mount, with about $300 in change to spare for ammo. The higher magnification optics will allow you to realize your carbine's true accuracy potential, as well as reach out further and dial elevation and wind conditions. A BDC reticle is not the preferred technique for using as an aiming reference, although some people do have success doing it.

I would personally recommend the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 scope, which is quite compact and lightweight for a rugged rifle optic. It has target turrets that match the reticle, great glass, tough gears that track back to zero every time, and very user-friendly features, including a zero-stop. It is half the price of an ACOG, but offers way more benefits to the user. The only advantage I see with the ACOG is its extremely low profile.

Comment

Working...
                              X