• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gnumadic
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2017

Multi-caliber AR hunting scope

I just finished ordering all the parts for my first 6.5 Grendel, which is purpose built for hunting using the 18" group buy barrel. I'm now turning my attention to optics. I'd like to stay around $600 or less on the scope. The one I have in mind is the Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40.

I live in the south and most of my shots on deer have been under 200 yards, either early morning or at dusk. I can think of a couple times an illuminated reticle would have been nice, although I'm sure that among non-illuminated scopes there are better choices than the Sightron S1 3-9x40 sitting on my bolt gun.

While this Grendel is my first hunting specific AR, I am also planning down the road to build some uppers to go with it (e.g., 300 Blackout, 458 SOCOM). I was thinking a QD scope mount and zero-able tactical turrets would give me some versatility in switching the scope from one caliber to another. Given that I'm not doing any shooting beyond a few hundred yards (even less w/the bigger bore calibers), 3-9x seems like a good compromise of magnification and weight.

Could I do better than the Leupold without breaking the bank? Am I asking too much of one scope? Thanks!
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I think the Leupold VX-R are great scopes and Leupold stand behind their product. I suppose you could keep records on your different settings and switch between uppers. It all boils down to personal choice and it is a similar situation with having several uppers but one lower.

I much prefer having a complete AR-15 than one lower with multiple uppers. I feel the same way about optics and the task assigned for each rifle. I have red dot sights on some rifles, hunting type scopes on some rifles and target scopes on others.

You might find there is some loss of zero going from one upper to another due to manufacturing tolerances in the Pic rail. I’ve used the same scope for testing on different uppers but always rezeroed, some were closer than others. I’d suspect if everything is in spec you’d be within 1 MOA or less going from one upper/caliber to a different upper/caliber. You’d have to dial in your dope for that particular caliber.

If you decide on doing this I would not go cheap on the mount, no Nikon P223 or Burris PERP.

I have bought cheaper scopes that I have used on some of my rifles. These are basically range toys for plinking and target shooting. If the scope fails it doesn’t put me in a bind. I’ve bought a Leupold Mark AR plus a couple of Vortex Diamondback scopes and a Vortex Strike Eagle. They are cheaper but work plus have a life time warranty. I probably wouldn’t rely on these for duty use or an expensive hunt to Alaska.

Comment

• NightFisher
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2018

One thing to consider before getting tactical turrets (exposed knobs) versus capped turrets. You are sitting on your stand and you notice the windage knob is sitting on +3 instead of the 0 you left it on after your sight-in. Hmmm, must have bumped that thing, question is did you bump it 12 clicks or did you lift and rotate it and actually not move the adjustment at all? OR more likely some of both.... On my "crossover rifles that I use for range and hunting I get knob type turrets that have a cap.

Comment

• gnumadic
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2017

I had not thought about variances of pic rails between manufacturer, as well as even rail to rail from the same maker. I have Aero Precision and Stag Arms upper receivers already. The next builds may not be the same. I have an ADM mount currently for a Vortex Spitfire AR, so I was thinking either that or a Bobro mount.

I hear you on the complete vs multiple uppers thing. Eventually, each of these uppers will probably find their own dedicated lowers.

Originally posted by NightFisher View Post
        One thing to consider before getting tactical turrets (exposed knobs) versus capped turrets. You are sitting on your stand and you notice the windage knob is sitting on +3 instead of the 0 you left it on after your sight-in. Hmmm, must have bumped that thing, question is did you bump it 12 clicks or did you lift and rotate it and actually not move the adjustment at all? OR more likely some of both.... On my "crossover rifles that I use for range and hunting I get knob type turrets that have a cap.
        I've never had a scope with tactical turrets, although I do understand some lock and some don't. I did not realize you could accidentally move the knob without making any clicks. My Vortex prism scope can be zeroed but it takes an Allen wrench to loosen the screw. It seems that versatility has its added risks!

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
          Chieftain
          • May 2012

cabelas has the burris e1 on clearance right now i picked 2 of them up they are light build solid no question lifetime warranty, 30mm tube bdc floating reticle and if you catch this clearance deal $150
          Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 12.19.04 AM.png
          Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• gnumadic
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
            cabelas has the burris e1 on clearance right now i picked 2 of them up they are light build solid no question lifetime warranty, 30mm tube bdc floating reticle and if you catch this clearance deal $150
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]11252[/ATTACH]
            https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod...ref=prd1911875
            Seems like a good deal...maybe I'll stop at the store tomorrow and look through one. I am still thinking about something with some illumination. Cabela's has a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 on sale for $589, but it's a 1" tube. It's w/in budget so I can compare.

I know a lot of people swear by Vortex (and I have a Spitfire AR 1X and like it). Does anyone have experience with Hawke (UK company, made in China)? They seem huge in Europe. There are some models in the $300 range that have a 30mm tube and red/green illumination. I like their L4A reticle.

Capture4.JPG

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
              Chieftain
              • May 2012

i have 2 hawke scopes a 4-16x44mm 1" milldot and a 3-9x40 subsonic 22lr illuminated reticle they are etched glass scopes and there ballistic match stuff is really good my 22 scope is perfect to 150 and about 4" low at 200 yards of a 50Y zero they are great scopes for the money and have nice reticle selections

i also have a few vortex scopes and are also good

in the last few years glass has gotten alot better as long as you are not going crazy with magnification the low end stuff has gotten pretty good the repeatability of the turrets is another matter but you could also just get 2 scopes if you dont max out the 600 budget

Comment

• gnumadic
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2017

i have 2 hawke scopes a 4-16x44mm 1" milldot and a 3-9x40 subsonic 22lr illuminated reticle they are etched glass scopes and there ballistic match stuff is really good my 22 scope is perfect to 150 and about 4" low at 200 yards of a 50Y zero they are great scopes for the money and have nice reticle selections

i also have a few vortex scopes and are also good

in the last few years glass has gotten alot better as long as you are not going crazy with magnification the low end stuff has gotten pretty good the repeatability of the turrets is another matter but you could also just get 2 scopes if you dont max out the 600 budget
                How do the Hawke scopes compare to your Vortex scopes (of similar price point)?

I stopped at a Cabela's today and looked at a few 3-9x40 scopes (Burris E1, Trijicon Accupoint, and Leupold VX-R).

The Burris seemed well built and a good value (particularly for being on sale at half off or $150). However, I felt like the etched reticle would get lost in the woods, as it was small/thin and lacked the low light bracketing features of a nice thick duplex reticle. The E1 1" tube models have an illuminated reticle but not this 30mm one.

The tritium and fiber optic illumination on the Trijiocon scope was a nice feature, but the glass was not as clear and bright as I expected (note, it was also a 1" tube).

The Leupold was light and about the same or a little better than the Burris in terms of brightness. I liked the illuminated fire-dot reticle, although I'd rather have a dial than a button in order to adjust it.

I told the sales guy what I was looking for and what he sold the most. He said Vortex...because of the quality and the warranty for the price. I looked at some of the lower end models (e.g., Crossfire, Diamondback), which seemed OK. Then he handed me a Viper and I was blown away at the clarity and brightness. That is, I could see a marked difference compared to what I'd been looking through previously. And maybe, I thought, an illuminated reticle wasn't as important anymore.

So, the Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 is where I'm leaning currently. There's still the Hawke Vantage WA 30mm 2.5-10x50 that interests me, because it's half the price of the Viper and does have an illuminated red/green dot. The Vortex is about 5 oz lighter (not surprising given the objective lens difference). I'll have to see if any of Hawke's listed dealers in a 50 mile radius carry them in stock, or if I'd be left ordering sight unseen. And then there's that Vortex warranty...

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                  Chieftain
                  • Oct 2016

Athlon are worth a look. Their BTR options are actually really good for the money.
                  Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• gnumadic
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
                    Athlon are worth a look. Their BTR options are actually really good for the money.
                    I used their scope finder and came up with the MIDAS HMR 2.5-15X50 AHMR MOA as a recommendation. It seems like a BTR with capped turrets. A little heavier than the Hawke, but a little more magnification in addition to the larger obj. lens (i.e., more versatility). Price seems right in line w/budget. And an illuminated reticle!

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                      Chieftain
                      • May 2012

you are not going to go wrong with the vortex, i have not handled the hawke vantage line but of my two hawkes compaired to my cheap vortex i would say the glass is a little better but you will be buying sight unseen, the warranty is idk but i have never had an issue had my mil dot one for 10+ years bought it when ea brown was the only place you could order them fro now there are all over amazon which is convenient you can just order one via prime and return it if you dont like it

if you are wanting the scope primarily for woods hunting i would look at the vortex 1-6 strike eagle thats what i ran for deer hunting this year i leave it on 1-2 while walking or sitting and turn it up to 6 over bait i bought it for an AR ended up moving it to my 45-70 guide gun for hunting season

Comment

• Alcap
                        Unwashed
                        • Jan 2018

I'm currently doing this with a 5.56 top end and a Grendel top end. I'm using anAthlon Helps BTR and Warne mounts. It is not a big deal to write down the zero adjustment between them. When swapping mount/scope between uppers make sure you torque the base to recommended value and you should be good. Not to much different than changing ammo in one gun.

Comment

• Randy99CL
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2017

Do you hunt in the woods or more open spaces?

I ask because a great woods scope is something like the 1.75-5x Redfield I've owned for almost 40 years. I've seen times when 3x was too much.

I saw a great deal on the Vortex SE 1-8x but couldn't quite afford it. Great reviews.

I want to hunt pigs in Texas and am leaning toward this Weaver Grand Slam 2-8x at Natchez. https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-re-...cle-matte.html Reviews are good and price is unbeatable.
                          "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• gnumadic
                            Bloodstained
                            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
                            Do you hunt in the woods or more open spaces?
                            It's a little bit of both. Some along the edge of an open field and some deeper in the woods.

Originally posted by Alcap View Post
                            I'm currently doing this with a 5.56 top end and a Grendel top end. I'm using anAthlon Helps BTR and Warne mounts. It is not a big deal to write down the zero adjustment between them. When swapping mount/scope between uppers make sure you torque the base to recommended value and you should be good. Not to much different than changing ammo in one gun.
                            Good to hear it can be done. And of course, I would still do a few sight in shots when swapping just to make sure the scope was back on zero. I was thinking of an American Defense Recon mount. With a 3-9x40 or similar size scope do I need the regular model which extends the rear scope ring about 1.5" from the base, or would I go with the Recon-X model that extends it to almost 3"?

you are not going to go wrong with the vortex, i have not handled the hawke vantage line but of my two hawkes compaired to my cheap vortex i would say the glass is a little better but you will be buying sight unseen, the warranty is idk but i have never had an issue had my mil dot one for 10+ years bought it when ea brown was the only place you could order them fro now there are all over amazon which is convenient you can just order one via prime and return it if you dont like it
                            The Hawke warranty in Europe is 10 years, but lifetime in the USA (though it's non-transferable and is a warranty against defects...not even close to the Vortex VIP warranty). Their Endurance line is a little nicer, but the price is going to be about as much as the Vortex (and close to Leupold). At this point I'm likely to get either the Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 or the Leupold VX-R 3-9x50. The weight and magnification are just right for the platform and calibers I'll be running. I also want a simple duplex style reticle, too, as I will be using the MPBR method to sight in.

Comment

Working...
                            X