• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Popeye212
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2018

Atn x-sight anybody have time on one

Looking at this for my Grendel build and do they work?

Last edited by Popeye212; 03-08-2018, 06:04 PM.
  • bigdaddyflo
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2016

I have one and it works great - but not in fog, and immediately after taking a shot (until the gun smoke clears). When hunting and fog rolls in, you may as well go home - it's hard to hunt in. Imagine driving with your high beams on in the fog - you can't see through the fog - same concept here since the illuminator (Infrared light needed to see with this scope) is basically a light shining into the fog/gunsmoke and the scope is picking up this excess reflected light! You just have to pick your days/nights to go hunt.

Personally, If I had to get another chance to buy it again, I would go with the 3-14. Any hogs that are closer than 50 yards get lost in the small field of view with the 5-20.

Kentlii rechargeable batteries or a good external pack for extended hunting are the only way to go (unless you like buying batteries). Alkaline batteries don't last long.

Comment

• Popeye212
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2018

Originally posted by bigdaddyflo View Post
      I have one and it works great - but not in fog, and immediately after taking a shot (until the gun smoke clears). When hunting and fog rolls in, you may as well go home - it's hard to hunt in. Imagine driving with your high beams on in the fog - you can't see through the fog - same concept here since the illuminator (Infrared light needed to see with this scope) is basically a light shining into the fog/gunsmoke and the scope is picking up this excess reflected light! You just have to pick your days/nights to go hunt.

Personally, If I had to get another chance to buy it again, I would go with the 3-14. Any hogs that are closer than 50 yards get lost in the small field of view with the 5-20.

Kentlii rechargeable batteries or a good external pack for extended hunting are the only way to go (unless you like buying batteries). Alkaline batteries don't last long.
      At what range are you comfortable shooting at a hog which I am sure you know where I am going with this.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

With a good external illuminator, you should be able to see 200 yards or more with an X-Sight II, but you are going to want the external illuminator which will be more powerful than what comes on board with the scope. This would also go for other digital night vision such as the Sightmark Photon.

Digital night vision is really going to require an IR illuminator, much like a Gen I+ traditional night vision scope, when being used after dark. You will need IR illumination on all but the brightest of nights. That is the reality of digital night vision.

As biddaddyflo said, you may be blinded after a shot. On windy days, this may go unnoticed as the smoke will be gone before you/your rifle recover from recoil. On calm nights, the smoke particles (aerosols) can linger in the air for 1-3 seconds and potentially for more. The beam from the IR illuminator will light them up and hide everything behind them from view. Here is an example from one of my early vids and my first twofer. Had the smoke lasted any longer, I would have lost the entire sounder, LOL. This is with a Pulsar Digisight, but is a good example of the issue. The same happens with the X-Sight scopes as well.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 03-08-2018, 10:28 PM.
        Kill a hog. Save the planet.
        My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

A similar problem of reflectivity can come from vegetation. A hog that actually should be visible in high grass may be lost due to the amount of light reflected off of the closer vegetation, or can just be very difficult to see.

Another early video with me trying to see over the top of a vegetation covered ridge and the sounder of hogs behind it behind hidden from view until I raised up high enough over the vegetation for the light not to be reflected back...

Comment

• Popeye212
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2018

Thanks Double Naught however I am offended by disgracing Popeye and Olive by naming hogs after us. Please remove names from said video. Don't make jus sic Diane and Nancy on ya...

Thanks for the videos that cleared up a lot of questions think I will give it a shot. Found a deal on the illuminator on Amazon think I will give it a shot. External battery is a must I have gathered.

Comment

• Popeye212
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2018

Thanks Double Naught however I am offended by disgracing Popeye and Olive by naming hogs after us. Please remove names from said video. Don't make jus sic Diane and Nancy on ya...

Thanks for the videos that cleared up a lot of questions think I will give it a shot. Found a deal on the illuminator on Amazon think I will give it a shot. External battery is a must I have gathered.
              Thanks to Bigdaddy also

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2013

Um, yeah, sorry 'bout that. I did find it amusing that I had a video that would compliment you so well, LOL.

Comment

• Sputnik
                  Warrior
                  • May 2013

ATN announced at the Shot show of an upgrade coming out in Mar-Apr called the Pro with a 4K sensor, better battery life, better clarity, better eye relief, and more money. On their website, they are 699.00

Comment

• mdram
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2016

the 4k are on the website already,
                    just some targets for printing
                    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• Popeye212
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                      Um, yeah, sorry 'bout that. I did find it amusing that I had a video that would compliment you so well, LOL.
                      Thought it was funny also. However Olive? Not so much. LOL

Comment

Working...
                      X