• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keef
    Warrior
    • Jun 2017

Shepard 1-8x USA made

Was looking around and saw this for the first time. Feom what I've read it's American made in FL 1-8x scope. I think it's reticle is a pretty close match to the Grendel. Anyone have experience with this company?

Screenshot_20180317-143938-843x1500.png

Retail at 545ish. Not bad.
  • mdewitt71
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

Very interesting... I have fielded and worked with the DOD stuff from their umbrella group.
    ― George Orwell

Comment

• mdewitt71
      Warrior
      • Dec 2016

Look at this dual reticle system.... Looks really neat just not sure how durable or track-able it is.

Last edited by mdewitt71; 03-17-2018, 11:48 PM.
      ― George Orwell

Comment

• Keef
        Warrior
        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by mdewitt71 View Post
        Very interesting... I have fielded and worked with the DOD stuff from their umbrella group.
        What did you think of it?

Comment

• rabiddawg
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2013

Is this the same company that use to advertise in the shotgun news the “one shot zero” or something like that? If so they have been around a long time but that's all I know.
          Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• mdewitt71
            Warrior
            • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Keef View Post
            What did you think of it?
            What we use in DOD is not what they are selling....
            But, they are solid and these scopes do have me interested especially this dual reticle.
            ― George Orwell

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

Was looking around and saw this for the first time. Feom what I've read it's American made in FL 1-8x scope. I think it's reticle is a pretty close match to the Grendel. Anyone have experience with this company?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11337[/ATTACH]

Retail at 545ish. Not bad.
              Keef:

I think I still have one of these. Mine must be about 35 years old. They were considered the heat in the 80's. They zero by firing a shot then adjusting the reticle to the hole in the paper.

I can't remember the size of the circles for range estimation. Maybe 18 inches? You estimate the range then either use a hold off or index elevation. Pretty much standard.

Is it good for the Grendel? I think it would be fine because the hold offs are for a 168 Match King at about 2550 fps which would be very close to most Grendel loads to about 600.

Solidly built thing. I may have sold mine but if you are interested, I will try to find it.

LR55

Comment

• Keef
                Warrior
                • Jun 2017

Very cool LR55, please let me know if you track it down.

Comment

• 204 AR
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2015

Wow they are coming out with some new products finally. I can tell you a lot about that company, and I've had as many as 6 of those scopes at one time. Before laser rangefinders made things easy, the 18" circles provided a pretty good way to determine range on an adult deer as they are roughly that tall from the brisket to top of back. Obviously as range increased, or the size of the deer changed it becomes less accurate, but a deer is a relatively big target with large vitals so it usually works fine.

Mine all held up except for one, it didn't really lose zero but it must have been moving as groups were larger with it than with a different scope on the same rifle. My biggest issue is the warranty is only good for the original purchaser. That, to me, is a problem as I like buying used a lot. They had 5 different reticle spacings to accommodate rounds with different ballistics. One was set up for 223 with 55 gr vmax, the other 4 were for bullets with a bc of approx .5 and speeds ranging from 3300 fps down to 2300 or 2400. So to get the most benefit you needed to match those ballistics. In fact a buddy and I picked our rifles and rounds based on what matched the scope reticle.

I still have 2, one 3-10 on a 270 wby that was my main hunting rifle until I dived into the AR's so heavily, and it's killed anything I've ever pointed it at almost. The other I bought new for a 243 and shot 105 amax's, a deadly combo. That rifle is gone and it sits on a 6.5 Creedmoor now. I haven't gotten it out at long range yet but expect it to do really well.

Glass is really very good IMO, not swarovski or zeiss, but think bausch and lomb glass. In fact they were made in Japan and resemble a Bushnell Elite 4200 very closely.

The company was founded by a neat guy named Dan Shepherd, he passed away several years ago and his wife was answering the phone a couple years ago when I called and I think a daughter and sil are running things now. That's where the new stuff is coming from and I'm glad to see some innovation and trying to catch back up to current state of the industry. I met Dan once, as a buddy bought a scope directly from him at his house in Waterloo NE. We went outside and zeroed it in right there on the property in town.

Comment

• LR1955
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2011

Very cool LR55, please let me know if you track it down.
                    Got it and a Mamba mount I used on an AR-10. It is a 3 - 10X made for the 168 Match King .308 loadings.

If you are interested, contact me back channel.

If not, I will put it on the Buy / Sell Forum.

LR55

Comment

Working...
                    X