• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tipsymutt
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2016

Leupold mark 4 vs Nightforce SHV

Hi all.
    I need a scope for my new build. Have narrowed it down to the Leupold Mark 4 4-15x50 and t he Nightforce SHV 4-14x50. Both are good scopes and are same magnification. I've heard the leupold has better knobs, but I like the zero stops on the SHV.

I'll be punching paper to 600 yards, most often between 100 and 300 yards, but occasionally I go with my buddy to his range that is 1000 yds. May use to hunt white tails (don't shoot at animals past 250 yds, give or take)

Which one would you buy and why (shv is $200 more) for 18" grendel (Satern cut rifled bbl)?

Thanks
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

I'd tell you the SHV F1 is better that the Mark 4 in every way, but it would come across as bias as I have an extra SHV F1 for sale right now in the classifieds =p

Regardless it's a phenominal scope with great tracking, great glass and great reliability. I run one on my R700 260 Rem, and had this one mounted on my wife's rifle. She has no need for such an optic and a 1-6 will suit her better.

Comment

• centerfire
      Warrior
      • Dec 2017

The MK4 is pretty dated in today's scope market. I have a 3.5-10 MK4 I bought 15 years ago and while I like it I would not pay what Leupold was asking when it was discontinued. The NF is a clearly better scope but, with that said, there are a lot of good scopes made in the same factory as NF to choose from.

Comment

• Tipsymutt
        Bloodstained
        • Apr 2016

[QUOTE=centerfire;188160]The MK4 is pretty dated in today's scope market. I have a 3.5-10 MK4 I bought 15 years ago and while I like it I would not pay what Leupold was asking when it was discontinued. The NF is a clearly better scope but, with that said, there are a lot of good scopes made in the same factory as NF to choose from.[/QUOTE

Please excuse my ignorance here, but what other scopes are made in the same factory as NF?

Thanks!

Comment

• AustinTom
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2018

I have the leupold VX3i LRP. Pretty sure it's the replacement for the mk4. Great scope. Has a giant elevation knob which has up and downsides. I don't have experience with the nightforce but would buy the leupold again.

Comment

• Kilco
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by AustinTom View Post
            I have the leupold VX3i LRP. Pretty sure it's the replacement for the mk4. Great scope. Has a giant elevation knob which has up and downsides. I don't have experience with the nightforce but would buy the leupold again.
            I've been looking at the LRP 4-14x50 SFP with the impact 32 reticle. I actually like the large knobs on the LRP, don't have to break cheek weld to see your rotation setting.

Another notch for Leupold for me is that besides the glass they are made in Oregon. More than I can say for my SHV which is made in Japan. Doesn't mean anything to most, but I've always valued that about Leupold

Comment

• centerfire
              Warrior
              • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
              I've been looking at the LRP 4-14x50 SFP with the impact 32 reticle. I actually like the large knobs on the LRP, don't have to break cheek weld to see your rotation setting.

Another notch for Leupold for me is that besides the glass they are made in Oregon. More than I can say for my SHV which is made in Japan. Doesn't mean anything to most, but I've always valued that about Leupold
              Originally when I bought my 3.5-10x44 MK4 M1 it had a Mil reticle and MOA knobs. A few years ago Leupold introduced a MK4 M5 Mil/Mil scope and quietly offered M5 conversions in the custom shop for certain older M1 models. I had to be in Portland so I dropped the scope off for the conversion. The secretary at the front desk gave me a bunch of swag and the engineer came upstairs and shook my hand. They shipped the scope back to my house free of charge. I like that MK4 quite a bit and find its magnification range and the overall size of the scope perfect for a lightweight AR10.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                Chieftain
                • May 2016

Sorry to hijack but Kilco, i find the LRP 4-14x50 FFP with CCH reticle intriguing given its weight (20.3 oz) and price point, but what's the deal with "Side Focus" and "Parallax: None"?
                Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• AustinTom
                  Bloodstained
                  • Mar 2018

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
                  Sorry to hijack but Kilco, i find the LRP 4-14x50 FFP with CCH reticle intriguing given its weight (20.3 oz) and price point, but what's the deal with "Side Focus" and "Parallax: None"?
                  Mine definitely has a side parallax adjustment.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2016

Mine definitely has a side parallax adjustment.
                    Doesn't appear to have a focus by the ocular and says "Side Focus"

Screenshot_20180325-185605_crop_687x480-673x470.png

Says "Parallax: None" in the box next to the festival.

Screenshot_20180325-180719-900x1440-675x1080.png
                    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• AustinTom
                      Bloodstained
                      • Mar 2018

IMG_0861.jpg

The side focus is the parallax adjustment. It doesn't have a fast focus on the ocular for the reticle focus. It the old style where you turn the whole ocular housing then use the lock ring to keep that setting. Hope that helps.

Comment

• AustinTom
                        Bloodstained
                        • Mar 2018

Leupold's website is also off for the elevation range. It says 23.3 mils but that's for the higher power versions. This on actually gets 34.1 mils of adjustment.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                          Chieftain
                          • May 2016

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11415[/ATTACH]

The side focus is the parallax adjustment. It doesn't have a fast focus on the ocular for the reticle focus. It the old style where you turn the whole ocular housing then use the lock ring to keep that setting. Hope that helps.
                          That it does! That's actually a plus for me because of my old ass eyes. I'm constantly yelling at buddies to stop messing with the focus and screwing up my zero. Thanks!
                          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

Working...
                          X