• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

Burris XTR ii 4-20x50 / Sport Optics

I'm in the market for one scope this Spring and I really want an H59. I'm probably going to take the 4.5-30x50 Bushnell XRS with H59 off of my 22" JP barreled Grendel and put it on the in process 26" 6mm Grrrr upper, which leaves the JP Grendel naked.

The two "affordable" options are the Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21x50 which is about $1600 everywhere. The Burris Extreme XTR ii 4-20x50 generally runs $1400 but Sport Optics has them for $1,190 shipped. I love the glass and the turrets on my 3 Elite Tacticals (XRS, ERS and LRTS) but $410 is $410! Anyone have experience with the XTR ii and/or able to make a comparison with the Elite Tacitical line? Both have a 34mm tube. I don't need the illuminated reticle on the Burris, but the Burris is still about 2 oz lighter than the Bushie so I guess its gravy. There seemed to have been some QC issues with Burris when they were launched 2 years ago, but problems seemed to have subsided. The Bushnells are made in Japan vs. Philippines for Burris which is a plus for me, although I've never had an issue with Vortex's Phillippine glass. My only experience with Burris is their 2x7 Scout Scope on my Ruger GSR 308 which works fine for what it is.

Also, any experience with Sport Optics appreciated. Thanks!

Please see product detail page for a special note on reticle illumination for this XTR II model. Burris Specifications Quick Reviewmagnification range: 4X-20Xscope weight: 30.9 ouncesscope length: 14.1 incheseye relief: 3.5-4.25 inchesscope finish: matte black
    Let's go Brandon!
  • centerfire
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

The Burris glass isn't even close to the quality of the Bushnell. Most people comment how much they like the XTR features but wish the glass was better.

Comment

• Kilco
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2016

I have an XTR II 5-25 and it's an awesome optic. Great turrets, great reticle and a very easy eyebox.

I have no experience with the Bushnell, but only hear good things about them as well.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
        Chieftain
        • Oct 2016

They’re HUGE and HEAVY. Otherwise, good enough glass, but they are just so damned big. You can use one for an anchor for a flat bottom river bank boat, if you’re using a qd mount...

Really though, for my money, either a PST or NHV1 or the Bushnell was my market.

I wish I could recommend the Athlon Ares BTR, but I’m really disappointed in the turrets. Clicks are dang close, and not nearly as tactile as the others mentioned. I’ll be taking it out tomorrow afternoon to zero and run a box at 100, then 300. I just got a place to shoot out to 600 opened to me for this. I’ll report back.
        Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• kansas
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2017

I have xtr2 3-15x scr-mil and 5-25x scr-mil ... been using for 2 years ... rain, ice, snow, mud ... day ... night .. no issues ... can see holes in white paper at 500yds ...

Now compared to my ATACR 7-35x T3 ... the NF definitely has better glass. but then it cost 4x as much ...

For an entry level scope, I think the xtr2 are the best bang for the buck ...

==
          xtr2 3-15x scr-mil on 5.56(18)

==
          xtr2 5-25x scr-mil on .300WM(24)

==
          And just for giggles (in case you want to beef up your budget), the ATACR 7-35x Tremor-3 ... currently on the 6.5G(18) ... of course !!!

Comment

• StoneHendge
            Chieftain
            • May 2016

Thanks everyone! Let it marinate over night and was prepared to order the XTR ii today. Then I saw centerfire's link to the Bushnell 30% rebate forms that don't exclude Elite Tactical Scopes in his LRHS thread. The non excluding form is still up on Midway, but the only Elite Tactical scope they have in their site is a backorderable XRS II. Did a little websurfing and it appears the nonexcluding forms were only out there for a couple of days. There's an extensive thread on Snipers Hide about it and Bushnell is saying they will honor the non excluding forms, including up to today.

So I ordered an HDMR from Euro Optic for $1600 which will come out at $1120 after the rebate. I know I'll be happy with the glass, but even if everything else was equal with the Burris, the Bushie turrets are downright dreamy PLUS I know my "old ass" eyes can come up off the scope and actually read the turrets

Screenshot_20180324-140143_crop_871x480-653x360.png

The same can't be said for any of my other Scopes including my Vortex's. Plus the Bushnell also has the throw lever. We all know what a PIA some magnification adjusters made in the Philippines can be.....

And for those of you who perhaps weren't paying close attention to the OP (), this is an H59:

Screenshot_20180324-140619_crop_480x451-360x338.png

If Midway had an XRS II with H59 in stock I would have gone that route. $1550 after rebate for that scope is a steal. Even though they are backordered and "overdue" that still doesn't help with the rebate terms if shipment is delayed since the UPC needs to be mailed in by 4/30.

And if anyone out there wants a screaming deal, Brownells has a few discontinued Gen 1 XRS's with G2 reticle for $1,800 which would be $1260 after rebate (!!!). And the beauty of getting it from Brownells would be you could send it back if Bushnell doesn't honor the rebate. I would have gone that route over the HDMR if I didn't want my overly busy reticle.
            Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• centerfire
              Warrior
              • Dec 2017

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
              Thanks everyone! Let it marinate over night and was prepared to order the XTR ii today. Then I saw centerfire's link to the Bushnell 30% rebate forms that don't exclude Elite Tactical Scopes in his LRHS thread. The non excluding form is still up on Midway, but the only Elite Tactical scope they have in their site is a backorderable XRS II. Did a little websurfing and it appears the nonexcluding forms were only out there for a couple of days. There's an extensive thread on Snipers Hide about it and Bushnell is saying they will honor the non excluding forms, including up to today.

So I ordered an HDMR from Euro Optic for $1600 which will come out at $1120 after the rebate. I know I'll be happy with the glass, but even if everything else was equal with the Burris, the Bushie turrets are downright dreamy PLUS I know my "old ass" eyes can come up off the scope and actually read the turrets

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11394[/ATTACH]

The same can't be said for any of my other Scopes including my Vortex's. Plus the Bushnell also has the throw lever. We all know what a PIA some magnification adjusters made in the Philippines can be.....

And for those of you who perhaps weren't paying close attention to the OP (), this is an H59:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11393[/ATTACH]

If Midway had an XRS II with H59 in stock I would have gone that route. $1550 after rebate for that scope is a steal. Even though they are backordered and "overdue" that still doesn't help with the rebate terms if shipment is delayed since the UPC needs to be mailed in by 4/30.

And if anyone out there wants a screaming deal, Brownells has a few discontinued Gen 1 XRS's with G2 reticle for $1,800 which would be $1260 after rebate (!!!). And the beauty of getting it from Brownells would be you could send it back if Bushnell doesn't honor the rebate. I would have gone that route over the HDMR if I didn't want my overly busy reticle.
              Make sure you keep an eye on the rebate process. Mine was denied last week and it took calling them to have them manually approve it. They put up a little resistance at first because I used the standard form with the Tactical Elite exclusion (apparently the LRHSi is actually a Tactical Elite scope).

Comment

• StoneHendge
                Chieftain
                • May 2016

My old ass eyes are psyched! And I thought I liked the gen1 XRS turrets.....

IMG_20180401_103842-1056x897.jpg

I think Mr. Magoo could come up off the HDMR II without his glasses on and read the elevation turret:

IMG_20180401_104015-1247x814.jpg

As a side note, they ended up shipping via USPS since my billing address is a PO Box (understandable for a 4 digit order). They sent it out on Monday via 2 day "Priority Mail". It wasn't available for pickup until Friday afternoon.
                Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Bearcatrp
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2018

You can’t go wrong with Burris XTR II. I have the 4-20 in moa and my brother has his in H59. Call Whitaker guns. We got ours under $1000. The zero stop is awesome. Glass is very good. Crisp turrets.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2016

Rebate approved! Had a chance to look through an XTR ii 4x20-50 with H59 last weekend. Not a bad scope but the glass isn't in the same league as the HDMR II. Even at normal street prices, I would say the Bushie is definitely worth the extra $$$.
                    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

Working...
                    X