X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • texasgrunt

Basic Scope Question

Guys,

I am new to using a scoped rifle. All my previous experience with rifles has been with my grandaddy's pump .22 and my trusty M16A2.

I now have a rifle that is a million times more capable than I am, but I'm working on it. That being said, I have a simple question. I need to figure out the distance between centerlines of my bore and my scope. Should be easy, but I just can't figure out how. I have a Bobro lever mount and a Leupold MK4 ER/T 4.5-14x50 on a VLTOR MUR upper.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Grunt
    Last edited by Guest; 12-06-2011, 05:41 PM. Reason: grammar
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Most AR's with scopes are approx. 2.5 inches above the bore, unless tall rings are used.

I'm interested to hear if there is a tool people are using to measure that, beyond the good old MK I mod 0 eyeball!

Comment

• texasgrunt

How close is close enough? If I were to get within 1/8" or so will that be sufficient to run ballistics calculations?

Thanks for the quick response.

Grunt

Comment

You can use a micrometer from the center of the bolt, locked open, to the bottom of the scope tube, then measure scope tube & add Half that diameter to get you pretty close. Really, I'm sure within 1/8" is probably close enough. You always have to verify ballistic calculations anyway so do the best you can do with your measurement, then check it in reality.

What I found tricky was with my inclined base mount. HMMMM, I decided from the front of the chamber to the center of the scope was the best I could do & I had to guess at where the front of the chamber is & where the middle of the bore is up & down at that point. I could certainly be wrong though. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by texasgrunt View Post
          How close is close enough? If I were to get within 1/8" or so will that be sufficient to run ballistics calculations?

Thanks for the quick response.

Grunt

Comment

• texasgrunt

Thanks folks. Looks like I was over estimating the required precision in my measurement.

Grunt

Comment

• jwilson1985

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
              Most AR's with scopes are approx. 2.5 inches above the bore, unless tall rings are used.

I'm interested to hear if there is a tool people are using to measure that, beyond the good old MK I mod 0 eyeball!
              what he said

Comment

Grunt,

I had a similar question when I was building my rifle, and I searched ALL OVER trying to find an answer. Best I could come up with was that the height from the bore centerline to the top of the flat-top rail is very close to 1.2" (I actually had an exact number from a blueprint somewhere, but can't find it now). I would assume that most Mil-spec uppers will be the same dimension.

I found a useful chart that has lots of mounts listed, you can get it here:

For my combination with a Burris P.E.P.R. and a 1" scope, I came up with 2.7". That seems to work well with my set-up.

One cautionary note; when I was sighting-in, I started with my normal scoped rifle setting of "zeroed at 25 yards", then went to 100 yards, where I would have expected to be 3" to 4" high or so, pending final adjustment. I found that I didn't even hit the paper, until I dropped down a little, where I then had holes at the very top. The extra inch and some in the scope mounting for the AR puts the trajectory a LOT higher at 100 yards than I expected! I had thought that the Marines 37 meters battle sight zero would be close, but the scope mounts are substantially higher than the BUIS sight line.

Mack

Comment

• Royal Lancer

I return my scope to 0:0 then insert a laser bore sighter then measure the laser dot to cross hair center.

Comment

• texasgrunt

Thanks Mack, that's some good data.

Grunt

Comment

Eyeball it man. This measurement is considered in JBM ballistic calculator but the deviation is very minor. Don't sweat the measurement being exact.

Comment

• texasgrunt

Yeah, eyeball said 2.65 and math says 2.72. I figure .07" is pretty much good enough.

Thanks for the pointers. I'm putting this one to rest.

Grunt

Comment

Working...
                        X