Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 scope.... thoughts and owner review.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mdewitt71
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 scope.... thoughts and owner review.

I have had the 1-8x Strike Eagle scope from Vortex when they first came out... I think I was one of the very first few owners.
    Anyways, I ended up getting it for my daughters first AR and wrote up a review on it when I first got on another forum and thought I would share here.

It is shorter in length than I would of thought... over an inch over all from my GEN II Primary Arms 1-6x scope.

i know the new PA 1-8 is out but, I do not have one. This Vortex model seems to be .5 oz heavier but, a half inch shorter in length .... but, that is written specs of the PA 1-8 and I have heard they are both basically the same with different reticles.

The illumination is very bright... almost too bright when you crank it up in daylight.
    This pis is from a dark room with it 2 clicks from highest setting. Its nice and bright but, clear.

I need to get some daylight photos of it but, it was really windy today and I was in a hurry to go eat some Mexican for Cinco de Mayo too.

This was for my daughters Radical Arms AR that I got for her ($499 rifle not bad for the $$).
    I wish I had got one for me now.... might have to order another one.
    First thing I noticed was how sharp and crisp it was compared to my Vortex Crossfire 1-4, Primary Arms 1-6X, and my Bushnell 1-4 AR scope.
    Really impressive and the reticle is very nice and alot larger than the Bushnell 1-4AR which is what my daughter was having a hard time with.

So far, I am glad I got it and can't wait to take it out again this weekend.... I stretched it only to 150 yards today but will go further later this week.
    Vortex warranty is best in industry IMHO so if I do have issues, I know they will take care of it.

Now the present,
    The scope is holding up fine, she has been banging it around for almost a year now... no issues.
    A friend has verified it as the BDC graduations same as the Razor II 1-6x.
    He used that with 55grn and 75grn .223 for 3 gun comps.
    The 55 grn are right on with a 200 yard zero and then 300-600 holds.
    With the 75grn and the 200 yard zero but the next lines are 275, 375, 475 and 575... as least that is what he came out with.

I am a HUGE Vortex fan and have actually owned almost every model that have made.... I think the Golden Eagle and a couple Razors are the only things I have not owned and have a UH-1 coming this week.

It is less than 3/8" longer than my Vortex Crossfire II 1-4 so, I am sure it would fit.

I was tempted to mount it on the AK; almost did but, this was purchased for my daughter's AR so I let her have it haha.
    ― George Orwell
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Good review mdewitt71! I’d be real interested in a review of the Vortex UH1 holographic red dot sight. I was at Whittaker’s today and they had a UH1, kind of wished I’d asked to look at it.

Thanks for posting.

Comment

• Drillboss
      Warrior
      • Jan 2015

Hmmmm...

1-8x may be just what I need for my pistol build.

My 1-4x isn't doing much for me.

Comment

• mdewitt71
        Warrior
        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
        Good review mdewitt71! I’d be real interested in a review of the Vortex UH1 holographic red dot sight. I was at Whittaker’s today and they had a UH1, kind of wished I’d asked to look at it.

Thanks for posting.
        Will do.... I should have it Friday hopefully.
        ― George Orwell

Comment

• kpswihart
          Warrior
          • Dec 2016

I have the Vortex SE 1-8, but only two trips to the range with it so far. This is the first reticle of this type I've used so there has been some adjustment for me. One of the things I discovered was the ease of using the SFP as an advantage with Strelok. Fairly easy to use the BDC at different ranges by adjusting the magnification. For example, our range is maxed out at 440. I plugged my ammo info into Strelok and played with the reticle portion of the ap. The ap will give you ranges for holdovers as you adjust magnification. I discovered that if I set the magnification on 6x, the next to last holdover corresponded with 443 yards for me allowing me to bang the gong at will. Obviously not precision work, but manipulating the bdc may be handy for static hunting stands or blinds.
          Last edited by kpswihart; 04-20-2018, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• Taz575
            Warrior
            • Jul 2018

How is the clarity on 8x?

Comment

• mdewitt71
              Warrior
              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Taz575 View Post
              I have only shot it out to 200 yards so far and I didn't really put it up against anything else at that time.
              This is on my daughter's rifle and she has been so busy with Soccer camps and prepping for school to start up that she has not shot for a bit.
              I will try to remember and post more about it down the road.
              ― George Orwell

Comment

• StoneHendge
                Chieftain
                • May 2016

I had absolutely no problems seeing a 10" round at 550. Thought my issue was the reticle simply not having any correlation to my altitude (6600 ASL) so I replaced it. Problem ended up being massive amounts of thermal drift (2-7 MOA) from my erstwhile BSF barrel. Sight picture was a little "flat" out there, but it was workable given the price point.
                Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Taz575
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2018

Thanks guys! I had read some reviews of it clouding up above 6x; I have the 1-6 Strike Eagle on my .223 Wylde upper currently and am looking for a scope for my Howa 1500 Mini HB setup. Debating a 1-6/8 or a 2.5-15 Athlon Midas. Deer/Coyote hunting and target out to 200 yds or so, maybe 400yds on plates.

Comment

• mdewitt71
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2016

Thanks guys! I had read some reviews of it clouding up above 6x; I have the 1-6 Strike Eagle on my .223 Wylde upper currently and am looking for a scope for my Howa 1500 Mini HB setup. Debating a 1-6/8 or a 2.5-15 Athlon Midas. Deer/Coyote hunting and target out to 200 yds or so, maybe 400yds on plates.
                    Athlon Midas 2.5- 15 all the way over the Strike Eagle for sure.
                    ― George Orwell

Comment

• Taz575
                      Warrior
                      • Jul 2018

Ok, just ordered the midas with the mil lr reticle for $340. It will go well with my midas 4.5-27 mil lr that is on my 6.5 creedmoor!

Comment

• Popeye212
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2018

My Midas 4.5-27 gets here today it will go well also with my 2.5-15 got it for $339 can't beat that deal for quality and price.

Comment

• mdewitt71
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2016

I ordered the Midas TAC 6-24x50 yesterday, should be here Saturday I am hoping.....
                          It will go on my 18" Grendel and the Argos 6-24X that is on it will replace the Talos 4-14X on my 20" Wylde.
                          ― George Orwell

Comment

• AZHTfreak
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by kpswihart View Post
                            I have the Vortex SE 1-8, but only two trips to the range with it so far. This is the first reticle of this type I've used so there has been some adjustment for me. One of the things I discovered was the ease of using the SFP as an advantage with Strelok. Fairly easy to use the BDC at different ranges by adjusting the magnification. For example, our range is maxed out at 440. I plugged my ammo info into Strelok and played with the reticle portion of the ap. The ap will give you ranges for holdovers as you adjust magnification. I discovered that if I set the magnification on 6x, the next to last holdover corresponded with 443 yards for me allowing me to bang the gong at will. Obviously not precision work, but manipulating the bdc may be handy for static hunting stands or blinds.
                            +1 Wat he sed. About 500 rds thru my 12" and I agree - a really, really nice optic for a Grrr pistol. Chromatic aberration (fringing) above 6x is just not there on my copy, got lucky, I guess. Eye box/relief however is tight... MAKE SURE you can create a repeatable cheek weld with this scope at high mag, else it will frustrate.
                            DOJ+FBI+IRS+AFT=NKVD. Joe Stalin and Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria are tap dancing in hell right now...

Comment

Working...
                            X