• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Brass Catcher - Tactical Brass Recovery & their Customer Service

I have been using some very nice brass catchers on my AR15-style rifles for several years now. They are made by Tactical Brass Recovery. For those that haven't seen my work, I am out hunting 2-3 nights a week and so my rig is in out of the the rifle bag, in and out of the truck, and goes everywhere I go in the night in my pursuit of hogs. Eventually, I owned several from TBR. I tend to put each on a rifle and leave it on the rifle nearly all the time, the exception being when I am cleaning the rifle.

On Monday, April 9, I sent a note to Tactical Brass Recovery saying I had broken my brass catcher I had purchased 3 years prior and asked if it could be repaired. This was the brass catcher on the rifle I used most often. They replied on the same day saying to send it in and they would take care of it.

On Friday, April 13th, I received a 2nd note from them expressing concern as to why they had not received my broken brass catcher. It had been a busy week and I had not gotten around to sending it in to them. I replied with an apology and said I would send it on Monday, April 16, which I did. On Friday, April 20, I received notice that TBR was sending me back my brass catcher. I received it on Monday, April 23, fixed and ready to go!

I don't have enough good things to say about their customer service. I have NEVER had customer service from any business contact me when they had not received an item that I needed to return, EVER! I certainly can't complain about the quick turnaround time either.

TBR brass catchers are not cheap, but they are an outstanding product that works well and are made by a company that stands behind their products and that has OUTSTANDING customer service. I had owned four brass catchers before before getting one from TBR. I firmly feel that while well intended, money spend on those 4 brass catchers was a waste, especially when trying to take them in the field.

If your brass is valuable to you and you get tired of losing it in the field while hunting or at the range, I would highly recommend a brass catcher from TBR!!!!

Brass catchers with advanced features for Military, police, competition, and hunting for use in dynamic environments.

Brass Catcher.jpg
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • Kswhitetails
    Chieftain
    • Oct 2016

This is good stuff to hear, DNS. Thanks for sharing. I've been in the market myself, my cheapo - CHIN-o - needs to ... well, go. I'll give em a shot. Call it providence.
    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• StoneHendge
      Chieftain
      • May 2016

Wow - and I get grief for spending a few extra bucks on JP op system components
      Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Drillboss
        Warrior
        • Jan 2015

Love you and your work 00Spy, however, I think I'll stick with this one: https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Pic-...SIN=B00EB5OU0Q

Granted, my application is quite a bit less strenuous than yours.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

There is NOTHING wrong with using gear that makes you happy and that does what it needs to do for you. We all have different wants, needs, budgets, and perceptions of what is right for us. For those that have a need, TBR makes a very good product and stands behind it, which is a feature you want when you are paying that kind of money for a product. I would not suggest you spend that kind of money for a product you don't need, particularly when you have that application already satisfactorily covered.
          Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 04-24-2018, 05:20 AM.

Comment

• Drillboss
            Warrior
            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
            There is NOTHING wrong with using gear that makes you happy and that does what it needs to do for you. We all have different wants, needs, budgets, and perceptions of what is right for us. For those that have a need, TBR makes a very good product and stands behind it, which is a feature you want when you are paying that kind of money for a product. I would not suggest you spend that kind of money for a product you don't need, particular when you have that application already satisfactorily covered.
            +1
            I agree completely.

Comment

• Sticks
              Chieftain
              • Dec 2016

I want one, but not $200+ bad. Seen them in use and they are awesome - especially the hinged aspect which gives you immediate access to your chamber if needed. I currently use the Caldwell with the rail mount and it has not given me any issues (warned of high rate of malfunction inducing). Just not fast at all in removing in the event of need.
              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2013

LOL, the "cheap" ones are $125, but the hinged are expensive as you said.

Comment

• bj139
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2017

I only was willing to spend money on this one and it works fine for range use at the bench and half way to the target, standing or sitting.
                  I didn't feel a need to upgrade. It occasionally lets a piece of brass escape or causes a jam due to bounceback.

I suppose if I was using it in business or did not want a piece of brass to down my helicopter, I would spend $200 or much more.
                  Their customer service does sound top rate.
                  Last edited by bj139; 04-24-2018, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                    Chieftain
                    • Oct 2016

I've been swayed a time or two on this forum, probably because I'm fairly indecisive, especially when confronted with ideas that are better thought out than my own. (Wolf ammo, LFPs, etc...) I've got a Caldwell velcro version, and so far it has been a great tool. Until it hangs an empty in the ejection port. Then it's a total waste of the money. So, for me that has become what it is. I pick up my brass, and ONLY take my catcher out of the bag at the indoor range to prevent me from losing time chasing them all over the floor, and getting the guy next to me with the 308 any more angry than he already is.

I bought mine with outdoor shooting in mind, taking it to either the bench or the woods, and thought at first I'd be a happy camper. But here's the thing. I've had bench sessions where I spend more time trying to figure out how to strap it on in such a way that it wouldn't cause me issues than I did shooting. And still had malfs. So I thought, you know, I could make one of these with Kydex and some home-grown ingenuity, while at it, the box should be bigger to prevent impinging the EP. I could even add a spring action to it that would allow me to check and clear minor snags without disassembly.

And here comes DNS with this review. It looks EXACTLY like what I had in mind, and works EXACTLY like I thought it would. DNS reports good results in the woods, in the dark. Good enough for me. I like the $80 version.
                    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• mdewitt71
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2016

Good info... I am glad they took care of you, especially for the price of them.
                      I have two of the Caldwell ones and 4 picatinny mounts on several ARs so I can switch them from one to the other, they work for me, no issues.
                      Thanks for sharing though, I will book mark the website for sure.
                      ― George Orwell

Comment

• bj139
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2017

It looks like the model for $85 is discontinued and cannot be ordered.
                        There is a link to a replacement model for $140.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                          Chieftain
                          • May 2016

I use this for bench and prone shooting. Only takes a few minutes to set up and break down. Once it's set up, I just keep it next to me and rotate my rifles.

Obviously doesn't help in the field or in compromised positions, but makes things real quick and easy otherwise. And I never have to worry about it causing a jam. It is a Caldwell product, so after about a year the stitching that holds the loops together that hold the plastic rods in place are fraying, but for $40, I have gotten more than my money's worth out of mine.

And don't let the pictures fool you, it is worthless for pistol and if you put it on a tripod, it will blow over when the wind gets much stronger than a pig fart.
                          Let's go Brandon!

Comment

Working...
                          X