Is anybody using a smartphone adapter for their scope?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mdewitt71
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

Is anybody using a smartphone adapter for their scope?

Looking at the Skopecam and other models of adapters that will connect a phone to a rifle scope for taking pictures or video.
    Does anyone have any reviews what models to stay away from or which ones to look at?
    ICM ranging anywhere from $20 to $70.
    ― George Orwell
  • JASmith
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2014

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

I have taken mine to the range once and learned that first, a silicone case does not hold the phone tight enough and second, the extension between the scope and the camera should be as short as possible.

So, I can’t make comments until I have learned how to use it or decided that it is beyond my skills.
    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• mdewitt71
      Warrior
      • Dec 2016

Another Army guy I know that is into Long Range shooting recommended this one-

He said he bought the cheap ones first but, they were always coming loose.
      It is $199 but, seems more solid and versatile than the others.
      I think I will ask for it for Fathers Day.
      ― George Orwell

Comment

• Zeus
        Bloodstained
        • Mar 2018

I am building two of them for our upcoming prairie dog safari.....actually one is already done. The basic design came from Youtube but I made a few changes that make it sturdier and more adjustable......I think each one was about 25 bucks or so for the materials. If there's any interest I'll post some details.
        Last edited by Zeus; 04-27-2018, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• mdewitt71
          Warrior
          • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Zeus View Post
          I am building two of them for our upcoming prairie dog safari.....actually one is already done. The basic design came from Youtube but I made a few changes that make it sturdier and more adjustable......I think each one was about 25 bucks or so for the materials. If there's any interest I'll post some details.
          Yea, post em up, I would like to hear about and see em.
          ― George Orwell

Comment

• Zeus
            Bloodstained
            • Mar 2018

Originally posted by mdewitt71 View Post
            Yea, post em up, I would like to hear about and see em.
            Lol...that was quick....Ok, I'll take some pics and give a few more details......it might not be exactly what some of you are looking for but it'll work for my needs.

Comment

• Zeus
              Bloodstained
              • Mar 2018

There ya go bud.....I started a new thread so anyone else interested can see the monstrosity that I made.....lol

Comment

• mdewitt71
                Warrior
                • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Zeus View Post
                There ya go bud.....I started a new thread so anyone else interested can see the monstrosity that I made.....lol
                Yep, just checked it out..... Not that is some gizmo that looks like what I would build in my shop ha-ha.
                You could always slap a good coat of PlastiDip on it.
                Pretty neat, thanks for sharing.
                ― George Orwell

Comment

• Sticks
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2016

I may have to get one of those as well to see what my GF and daughters are doing so I can try to help them a little.

ETA - There is another one out there that is more like a periscope that does not interfere all that much with normal shooting positions that you would still be looking through the optic and recording with the phone sideways on the rifle....https://www.side-shot.com/online-sto...ount-p78834419

I can't afford to send all four of us to a LR shooting training class - and we need it.
                  Last edited by Sticks; 04-28-2018, 12:48 PM.
                  Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• JASmith
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2014

In have this one too and am waiting to try it out:

shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                    -- Author Unknown

Comment

• mdewitt71
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                      In have this one too and am waiting to try it out:

https://www.opticsplanet.com/caldwel...or-iphone.html
                      I would venture to say that one only does Selfie Mode or Shooter mode and not Scope View mode (which might not be important to some).
                      If its all metal design it might be steady but, I think the phone holder is polymer.
                      ― George Orwell

Comment

• JASmith
                        Chieftain
                        • Sep 2014

Yes on the concerns.

My complaint with the Caldwell is that it views parallel to the scope but not through it.

That means it is useful for short range videography but target reactioh beyond about 50 yards will be difficult.

That offset by a rather stiff mount to the rail.
                        shootersnotes.com

-- Author Unknown

Comment

• LR1955
                          Super Moderator
                          • Mar 2011

Yep, just checked it out..... Not that is some gizmo that looks like what I would build in my shop ha-ha.
                          You could always slap a good coat of PlastiDip on it.
                          Pretty neat, thanks for sharing.
                          Md:

What was that prismatic thing that we used to use on the M-16 iron sights so a coach could somewhat see the sight picture of the shooter? It wasn't very good but was small and better than guessing. Too bad the Army never emphasized the shooter 'calling' their shots.

Who knows. Guys on the forum are pretty innovative and I bet if someone saw one, they would be able to make one to fit an optic.

LR55

Comment

• mdewitt71
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2016

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                            Md:

What was that prismatic thing that we used to use on the M-16 iron sights so a coach could somewhat see the sight picture of the shooter? It wasn't very good but was small and better than guessing. Too bad the Army never emphasized the shooter 'calling' their shots.

Who knows. Guys on the forum are pretty innovative and I bet if someone saw one, they would be able to make one to fit an optic.

LR55
                            oh we still got em hahaha.....
                            training aid.png

just not used much these days with the Close Combat Optic (CCO) M68.
                            ― George Orwell

Comment

• LR1955
                              Super Moderator
                              • Mar 2011

oh we still got em hahaha.....
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]11762[/ATTACH]

just not used much these days with the Close Combat Optic (CCO) M68.
                              MD:

Never would have imagined those things were still around. Am surprised the M-68 is still around. Must be fifteen years old by now.

Anyway, a better bet would be the bodging of the cell phone to the optic. Would be cool looking through a cell phone screen instead of the optic. Kind of like that Land Warrior gun camera thing that didn't take off as planned. Hip shooting at 200 was pretty neat once you figured out what you were looking at.

LR55

Comment

Working...
                              X