• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

GRSC 1-4x24 CRS

After many years of leaving my GRSC 1-4 CRS on top of one of my back-up SOPMOD Block II DMR carbines in .223 Wylde, I pulled it off and Quick Attached it to my 12" Faxon group buy barreled pistol just as a place-holder until I find an ideal optics solution for the little blaster.

Here are the goals I had specifically in mind for this little pistol format Grendel:

* AR15
    * Compact 27" or less
    * Reliable for Close Quarters defensive use
    * Supersonic reach to 1000yds with minimal wind drift, as close to 2 mils as possible for 10mph full value wind
    * Medium and Large game killer
    * 6lbs or less without optics for ease of portability

After my initial testing of this 12" system and using the GRSC reticle again, I was genuinely more than pleased at how easy it was to hit so close to POA every time from 400yds to 800yds. Impacts were all within 2 MOA of POA, usually within 1 MOA.

I field-zero'd it at what looked like around 100yds, but was probably more like 150yds, because all the drop data jives with that once I cam home and ran a bunch of variables.

Anyway, this reticle is so intuitive, you don't need any training to use it effectively. If you look at the 10" circles, they are proportional to the ranges, getting smaller as distance gets farther. Wind bars also are intuitive and once you see your first impact, you know where to hold right away.

This is the range we were on Saturday where I took it out to 800yds. You can't tell, but there's a steel buffalo target at 800yds where the red dot is.

They now have a 1-6 GRSC CRS with better glass, made in Japan by a high-end optics manufacturer.

Even with the Korean glass scopes I have, I'm able to resolve small targets at distance and quickly engage them. I can only imagine what the Japanese glass 1-6 is like.

I went ahead an ordered one, which should be here tomorrow. Can't wait to mount it up on here and do some more long range work with the little 12" Grendel.
    Last edited by LRRPF52; 05-24-2018, 09:47 PM.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
  • Crusty
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

Very cool LR.

I didn't think there was that much difference between good Asian glass and Japanese glass until I bolted up my first Nikon scope and wow! the difference in clarity is remarkable. I think you're gonna like it.

Is 1 MOA accuracy your cutoff for long range loads?
    I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Crusty View Post
      Very cool LR.

I didn't think there was that much difference between good Asian glass and Japanese glass until I bolted up my first Nikon scope and wow! the difference in clarity is remarkable. I think you're gonna like it.

Is 1 MOA accuracy your cutoff for long range loads?
      For hitting 18" steel at distances over 700yds, it's nice to have a rifle that will consistently pattern 1 MOA or less, but wind call is more important than accuracy unless there is no wind.

If I have a load that will shoot 10rds into a ragged hole at 100yds, I'm not too worried about it at distance, but I still confirm at distance.

What was surprising was how tight my elevation impacts were, as well as windage with this 1-4x CRS/12" Grendel combo even out to 800yds.

400yds and 500yds was literally boring with POA=POI using the stadia lines.

Seems like using a 150yd zero works really well for this scope and the stadia.

We'll see how the 1-6x24 CRS does with the better glass and a M118LR stadia reticle, because M118LR and 123gr 6.5 Grendel track very close to each other for trajectory.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

Can you dial the elevation with the turret cap removed? I need a scope for my lightweight 223 and was hoping to find something that can be dialed when there's time.. Not a lot of options out there.
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• Crusty
          Warrior
          • Dec 2017

I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
            Can you dial the elevation with the turret cap removed? I need a scope for my lightweight 223 and was hoping to find something that can be dialed when there's time.. Not a lot of options out there.
            Yes, but there's no reason to do so once zero'd.

It's so much faster to just use the reticle, which isn't as busy and easy to get lost in like with a Horus or other tree type designs.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

1.25 MOA is fine. The difference at 1000yds between a legit 1 MOA load and 1.25 MOA load is:

10"
              12.5"

Are you half-seating, rotating, then fully-seating to eliminate runout and do you have a VLD seating stem?

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                Chieftain
                • Oct 2016

Really interested in more reports when you get things lined out with the Japanese glass.
                Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Crusty
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2017

I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Just got the 1-6x24 Japanese scope in today.

Looks and feels great, illumination is really bright, not that I use it much.

Glass is clear. Looks like a NF or USO scope from the outside. Very solid and clean, quality fit/feel/finish.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Tex Nomex
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                      Just got the 1-6x24 Japanese scope in today.

Looks and feels great, illumination is really bright, not that I use it much.

Glass is clear. Looks like a NF or USO scope from the outside. Very solid and clean, quality fit/feel/finish.
                      I shot with an early 1-4x years ago. Good Korean glass, very easy to range and hit targets with the 5.56.
                      Almost bought the 1-6x when they first came out (~2012), but the warranty was less than stellar.
                      Ed still giving a good military discount?
                      "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
                      -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Comment

• Crusty
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2017

Found a better seating depth today at .140" off the lands and if I can eliminate fliers with careful attention to consistent neck tension my load could be 1 MOA or better.

What surprised me was that by annealing my cases I got back the ~100fps MV that I lost somewhere along the way as my brass aged.
                        I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• jonny rotton
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2015

what does the new scope weigh?????

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

The 1-6x24 Japanese GRSC Norden Performance CRS + LaRue SPR 1.5 VFZ mount + Switchview Cat Tail + Vortex Defender flip caps =

1 lb 12oz

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• bvague
                              Unwashed
                              • Oct 2018

Can you give us an update on your experience with the 1-6 Norden?

Comment

Working...
                              X