• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unlucky7
    Unwashed
    • May 2018

New glass options

My new Grendel is about finished. Will a Nikon P 308 work or are the balistics that much different . I have a P223 on my AR and i really love it . The Grendel is on an AR platform. ????
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

What's your proposed usage? Casual targets, hunting, competition, long distance?
    And your Grendel, barrel length and model? AR-platform or bolt? Makes a lot of difference when thinking optics.

I have several Nikons with the BDC reticles (mostly the older Buckmasters model 4.5-14x40). Best thing to do is to use the Nikon spoton optics app online and go thru some load numbers with real world chrono MVs from your gun.

I like how the BDC's line up for me but I've been practicing with them for a while so I could be biased.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Reticles like this are only usable on days with no wind if you're relying on the BDC for trajectory.

I personally would not advocate them if you want to shoot at distance. Even if you dial for your elevation, you still don't have any real way of holding for wind due to the thickness of the duplex.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Unlucky7
        Unwashed
        • May 2018

options ??

Comment

• Unlucky7
          Unwashed
          • May 2018

Have a 20 in bbl . Looking mostly for hunting { varmints } but long distanse is not out of the question down the road

Comment

• Bigs28
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2016

What distances are you hunting?

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 06-19-2018, 01:36 AM.

Comment

• Redomen
                Warrior
                • Jun 2016

I just purchased the vortex strike eagle 4-24x50 with the EBR-4 reticle for my 18” group buy build. Probably will put it on the LaRue 20moa Mount. Same reticle as my PST without the expense. I’m thinking I will like it.

Comment

• AZBackcountry
                  Bloodstained
                  • Nov 2016

I'd throw the Nikon P 308 ($220) on for 300 yards and less if you're on a budget.

I just bought a Rem 700 LR with a Vortex Viper BDC ($600) and can't believe the poor quality of manufacturing, honing and coatings. There is a floater on the inside lens at 10:00, bright green sun glare off the rear lens is blinding and adjusting to higher magnifications causes loss of clarity.

For $440 I put a Leupold Mark AR MOD 1 4-12x40 Mil Dot on my Grendel years ago and really like it. It has finger adjustable exposed turrets. I emailed Leupold and ask them if I could get a mil-r elevation turret with larger numbers so I could see without putting reading glasses on. A couple weeks later and I got it in the mail for free.
                  Life is fun when your ammo budget is more than your house payment.

Comment

• cwlongshot
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2018

I like that Nikon Glass for the $$... BUT HATE the non locking "stand up" turrets... I sold three of them last fall because I was sick and tired of the ever changing settings.... It cost me a deer one trip.

I have a older Simmons 6.5x24 and Leupold 12X. Frankly not speaking of quality of the build here. Just reliability and accuracy. BOTH are serving as "Intermediate" or "accuracy proving" scopes for me. Meaning I throw them on a given rifle and go I use them cause I KNOW they are solid and being higher powdered I rule out sight issues and see what they rifle can do. I know what I can do, but I wanna see the build.

My Grendel AR wears the Simmons as the Leupold is still on a Hornet I am working up loads for. I have a VXIII 4.5x14 sitting on the shelf that probably will end up on the Grendel as I think its too much for the lil Hornet.

CW

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

The only exposed turrets I have right now are on a Vortex 4-16x44 HST, which is on my Creedmoor target rifle -- the heavy one.
                      All my Nikons are capped turrets, I typically zero them and build a range card using the bdc's. I don't really expect to take hunting shots over 300 however but I probably could go 350 or 400 if the conditions were right. Most of my variables come from shooter skill and steadiness of the rest in the field, not the scope. I want to know I have a good firing solution I can trust... I grant there are better scopes out there but these are the ones I have and they work for me... so I'm staying within my budget. Might change my mind someday but that's a story for then.
                      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• oldman
                        Unwashed
                        • Jul 2018

Has anyone ever tried the primary arms orion 308/223/30-06 acss, i would think that the bdc for 308 could be worked out

Comment

Working...
                        X