• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • golfer
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2018

Best sling for hunting 6.5G AR

What is the best sling for an AR style hunting rifle? I mostly have open field walks with little brush to contend with. Thank you in advance.
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

I like my strike industries s3.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

I have had good luck with the cheap midway brand of slings with quick connect's that go into the handguards and the now stocks I use.

Works well doesn't get hung up on much and Carey's the rifle across my chest in a manner I can shoulder it quickly if needed.

Comment

• Melglass
        Bloodstained
        • May 2016

I have been using a Vickers on the AR that I hog hunt with and like it a lot. Picked up a Magpul for my new Grendel build that goes from two point to one.

Comment

• -Justin-
          Bloodstained
          • May 2017

I've tried a few.. I like the Vickers Blue Force Gear on my lighter rifles, tried the Magpul sling and didn't like it, seemed too thin and uncomfortable after awhile of hiking. I just bought the LaRue Tactical Padded sling for my grendel, it's comfortable and well built.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
            Warrior
            • Nov 2017

I've got a bunch of these for hunting rifles. They are cheap and work well. They stay put on your shoulder.
            Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

STI rifle sling, 2 point, adjustable "fast-loop" thumb loop, 1.25 inch.
              On Amazon. I like them for light or regular rifles...
              "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by golfer View Post
                What is the best sling for an AR style hunting rifle? I mostly have open field walks with little brush to contend with. Thank you in advance.
                Golfer:

Slings, like optics, are designed around your specific requirements.

Basically you will find two types of slings.

One fits the rifle on your back, either cross back or hanging from a shoulder or straight up the back using a yoke type of sling found in Biathlon. Of course if you are going to carry a ruck or camelback, you now become restricted to the one that hangs it over your shoulder. Of all of these styles, I prefer the yoke because it balances out the rifle straight up my back and is very easy to unharness and get the rifle into action. Also, it secures the rifle so it doesn't flop around if you got to clamber over obstacles. And both hands are truly free. That said, I also have some tactical styles you can sling over your back but also use a cuff for your non firing arm that easily clips into the sling for much steadier shots. Downside is you adjust the cuff device for one position so if you got to get into a different position, you also got to loosen or tighten the contraption. Nice in theory, PITA in practice.

The other types are military styles that use one or two point attachments that hold the carbine cross the front of the body. You can now carry a ruck and have your carbine ready for very fast engagements. The single point one is fine but the carbine dangles down and gets in the way if you have to move fast or over obstacles. The two point models hold the carbine more firmly into the body but still flops around a lot if you have to move and need both hands.

In non life threatening conditions where I am not using a camelback or ruck, I go with the yoke type of biathlon harness plus a simple M-1 Garand sling on the carbine. I use the webbed M-1 sling as a hasty or deliberate sling if I have time and need such support.

If I carry a ruck in non life threatening conditions, I use a ruck that has a pouch built in its back to carry the carbine.

If you think your life is at risk for some reason, then maybe one of the single or double point tactical slings.

Just remember that for years we carried M-16's and CAR-15's with a piece of para cord, a GI sling (we liked the M-60 MG sling), tied to the front sight and secured around the stock somewhere. Hung the carbine or rifle over the neck and we adjusted the length of the paracord or sling so the rifle or carbine hung down just the right amount so you did not have to move your hands much at all to get it into action. Frankly, I think this method is better than the single or double point devices.

LR55

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2016

Huh that's crazy about that paracord. Never thought about it. Im a little too young to have in depth veitnam trivia like that. Hard to imagine why they didnt have them. Slings have been a staple of the battlefield forever. For formal shooting do you like that cuff more than looping your sling around the support forearm?

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by The Profit Joseph Sith View Post
                    Slings have been a staple of the battlefield forever. For formal shooting do you like that cuff more than looping your sling around the support forearm?
                    Not exactly... When I first joined-up slings were not permitted to be on the weapon while patrolling. We carried them in our packs in case of wounded-man or helo extraction. The wisdom was that it encouraged guys to hold their rifle ready for combat and in thick scrub it was less of a snag hazard. On long patrols the gun would drift down to resting on the mag pouch. The only guy permitted to use a sling was the machine-gunner. Snipers used slings for various shooting positions and sewed a hook on the jacket shoulder to stop the loop drifting down with tension and gravity. When shooting at the Class range some of us used slings but just weren't allowed to have them on in the field. Strange I know by today's standards but that was the go. Sling design and policy has come a long way.

Comment

• LR1955
                      Super Moderator
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by The Profit Joseph Sith View Post
                      Huh that's crazy about that paracord. Never thought about it. Im a little too young to have in depth veitnam trivia like that. Hard to imagine why they didnt have them. Slings have been a staple of the battlefield forever. For formal shooting do you like that cuff more than looping your sling around the support forearm?
                      PJ:

Cuff slings are better than loop or hasty but since we use slings in competition, we also have to follow the rules concerning the type of sling and when it can be used. High Power does not allow slings for standing and if you shoot a service rifle, you have to use a loop sling -- either the leather Sling M-1906 or a clone or the M-1 Garand sling. Match Rifle allows cuff slings. Biathlon allows the use of the sling standing and prone. Cuff sling or hasty sling is allowed. I am sure a loop sling would be allowed too but it would take way too long to get into it so the cuff sling is used prone and the rifle is free standing.

Which one is better all around? Probably the cuff because you wear the cuff around your arm and hook or clip it into the sling when in position. Also, the cuff doesn't tend to slide down the arm like the other sling types.

If you are going to use a loop or cuff sling, remember that its length will differ between positions. Longer in prone and shorter seated or kneeling.

LR55

Comment

• Lastrites
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2017

I've used Blue Force Gear padded vickers for a long time, then was given a new padded Magpul and darn that Magpul is really nice but seems to be a bit pricey. For flat ground hunting either or a clone would serve well. I rigged up a Biathlon type sling when I was asked to do some mountain hunting as I figured I wanted my hands free and rifle controlled on my back instead of flopping. The Biathlon saved my bacon and likely prevented unnecessary wear on my rifle climbing the steep terrain, it was pretty awesome actually but I wouldn't want to use on generally flat land.

For me the type of conditions your going to encounter should set the stage of what type of sling you may want to utililize as they are really purpose driven.

Comment

• montana
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2011

I use the basic standard AR sling for hunting and hiking. https://www.amazon.com/Military-Poin...5JYCX37R0KVYVH

I keep it simple since the same adjustment for upright shooting with my sling is perfect for carrying and fast to deploy. I always carry my AR in Grendel, 300 BO, 7.62X40 Wilson and even an AK since most of my hiking haunts are Grizzly bear inhabited. I will try to up-load a video of one, "my nephew was fortunate to video" we came across last Friday while going to my road job on Morrel mountain.
                          Last edited by montana; 07-08-2018, 08:54 PM.

Comment

• Recondo
                            Bloodstained
                            • Mar 2018

Bought the nicest camo sling I liked then undid the uncle mikes and resewed on the quick detached button swivels.I like it a lot, it goes in the left side of the Midwest hanguard and Sts stock. Couldn’t find a standard sling with the new buttons anywhere. Personal taste is the mother of invention ��
                            Recondo

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

For carry-hunting and dual-use for a shooting sling, I like a 2-point quick adjust sling with padded section that goes over your superior trapezius muscle.

They're also nice if you need to go hands-off the rifle and carry things like when quartering or lifting.
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X