X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1Shot
    Warrior
    • Feb 2018

I went to Harbor Freight tools and got a 1/4" inch pound torque wrench for $19.99 and also got 20% off that with a coupon. It goes from 20 - 200 inch pounds. I also got a 3/4" foot pound torque wrench for the same price to do barrel nuts and stocks. They also had a whole big box set of hex, torque etc. bits with an adaptor to fit the 1/4" wrench for $9.00 .

Comment

• The Profit Joseph Sith
      Warrior
      • Nov 2016

65" lbs sounds really high to me. Maybe 50 max. But idk what size they are either. I read in a review NF reccomends 15 but i assume you know what your talking about. 25 is somewhat typical.
      I like my precision instruments torque wrench. It's only 10-50 in lbs but i have a 20-100 ft lb digital snap on. Those cover most bases for me. When i worked at boeing typically these dial type torque instruments were some the most accurate (can't beat the $20k strain guage type with laptop and cables but pretty good) i think they used sturtevent and another i cant remember. I think the wrench's are more universal than the screwdrivers as well.
      basically these:

btw any mechanical torque wrench (clicker type) you should "exercise" before actually torquing your fasteners
      We also used these screwdriver type for smaller screws:

These were ALOT better, finer adjustments and alot better quality all around than above although as the reviewer points out they use those for cranial screw torquing.

That "m" after http:// might need to be taken out for desktop computer users.

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

If you're buying a clicker torque wrench, be aware that most are only certified accurate at 20-100% of full scale. This means that with a 20 - 200 lb/in wrench, your accuracy band is between 40 and 200 lb/in. This essentially rules it out for any scope ring work. A cheap torque wrench from HF is nearly as good as my traditional "white knuckle" version.
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Bigs28
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2016

Nightforce mount is 68 inch lbs on the crossbolt screws. 25 inch lbs on the cap screws

Comment

• Redomen
            Warrior
            • Jun 2016

My fat wrench works well for me

Comment

• NugginFutz
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by The Profit Joseph Sith View Post
              65" lbs sounds really high to me. Maybe 50 max. But idk what size they are either. I read in a review NF reccomends 15 but i assume you know what your talking about. 25 is somewhat typical.
              I like my precision instruments torque wrench. It's only 10-50 in lbs but i have a 20-100 ft lb digital snap on. Those cover most bases for me. When i worked at boeing typically these dial type torque instruments were some the most accurate (can't beat the $20k strain guage type with laptop and cables but pretty good) i think they used sturtevent and another i cant remember. I think the wrench's are more universal than the screwdrivers as well.
              The 63 lb/in is for base screws (mount), not the rings.

I, too, worked at Boeing. Our take on most instrumentation was that their cost was directly proportional to their precision, which possessed a decaying accuracy curve based on the length of the warranty. The question of necessary precision was always weighed against the relative cost. I would consider 5% accuracy for a torque wrench more than adequate for any Scope Mounting or Armorer's work.
              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

I've been using the Wheeler FAT Wrench for years as well, simple mechanical model.

I Zero it out when finished with whatever I'm torquing.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• brian y
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2016

Wheeler FAT Wrench for me, I have the digital model and have had no problems with it. I do set it back to zero after use and i have tested it against a larger one i own and it is still reads spot on.
                  NRA Endowment Member, GOA Life Member, FPC Member, VDL Member

Comment

• Hansel&Grendel
                    Bloodstained
                    • Mar 2017

The Capri Tools (CP21075) Certified Torque Limiting Screwdriver Set 10 to 50 inch-pounds (1 inch-pound increments) has been very effective. It has a great reputation. It comes with two rows of screw heads for just about any task, including scope mounting.

Hans

Comment

Working...
                    X