X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

When you answer randy and my questions then i will give some feedback.

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Jcbuch View Post
      Guys paying to play is one thing but I don’t think I need a $3000 scope to shoot 600 yards. Understand I would want good glass but Don’t need to drop that coin just to play.
      JCB:

Well, you answered one question. How far you intend on shooting. Makes a gigantic difference in optics and prices.

Next question would be your intent for your target shooting.

If you intend on competing in formal marksmanship events like High Power, you need to read the rules governing optical sights first.

If you just intend on shooting paper or steel, you need to figure out just how well you want to perform.

You can get away with a tactical optic and reticle if all you care about is shooting a man size target at 600. You won't get away with the same optic if you intend on holding 1 or 2 minutes of angle at 600.

You can do decently at 600 with a very clear 10X optic and target cross hairs or a target dot. You will do better if it were 18 or 20 X with a target cross hair or target dot. And the difference will be very evident.

One thing for sure, if you compromise you will regret it so what ever your primary purpose may be, focus your search more on those requirements than a secondary requirement.

I am sure you will find something at around $1K that will be all right. It ought to take you about six months before you realize its detractors but who knows, maybe you will accept them and be happy.

LR55

Comment

• Randy99CL
        Warrior
        • Oct 2017

OP still hasn't given us any clues as to what he is looking for???

But right now, today, I am researching to buy a target/varmint scope. To be mounted on my .204 Ruger bolt gun or the AR Target .223 I just ordered.

I've been watching the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 PA for a while and planned to buy one at $375, but just today two others that deserve a close look also went on sale.
        The Sightron S-TAC 30MM 4-20x50 and the Burris Fullfield E1 6.5-20x50mm are $399 each.

All three reticles are MOA and usable but I like the Sightron best. More open with center dot.
        Reviews of all 3 are good with no problems anywhere.
        The size and weight are close to the same.
        The glass is reported to be "excellent" on all three. Wish I could find a true comparison review of the 3 with camera shots through the lenses.
        Warranty is lifetime on all three but Vortex and Burris are "no questions asked/no receipt" possibly better.

The reviews of the Sightron are exceptional with many users stating they own other top brands (Nightforce, etc.) and the glass in this scope is as good as those that cost 4x as much. Many state the glass is clearer and sharper than comparable Vortex.

I'm leaning toward the Sightron but hadn't considered that model until this morning so it deserves more research.
        Anyone with personal experience with these 3? Thanks
        "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• Arkhangel5
          Warrior
          • Apr 2016

JCB,
          Thought i would jump in since you are going thru what I did 2yrs ago. I too have an 18in grendel, shoot in AR Tactical matches, with the occasional hunting trip thrown in.

I have been running a Weaver kaspa tactical 3-12 on my rifle. Rifle has 1600 rounds thru it, no issues with scope. No tracking issues, no loss of zero etc.

This same scope was on rifle when I shot 2 deer back in '16 Thanksgiving. This was my first time using a Grendel to hunt. Will be my first choice going forward

My only issue with this scope is its weight. 26-27oz, my rifle porked up to 11lbs with a loaded 5round mag. For the type of competition it is used in, not an issue.

Now I will say that I only went with this scope because it was one of the few that was offered in 12x at the time, and i got it on clearance, but it has been surprisingly usable. I have shot this same model scope in a 1000yd f-class match on a 6.5creed gasser, that is 60+ rounds and I never missed the black.

Another thing I will say is, I have very good eyesight, so probably why I can get away using a lesser scope.

I just changed the 12x for a Grandslam Tactical 10x, I did this for the weight savings,not because the Kaspa wasn't clear, but wanted the weight down.

Have not shot the 10x past 200yds yet, but it is more than enough.

So after all that I would say take a look at the Weaver line of scopes, for the price point you stated.

My 2c
          SY

Comment

• Arkhangel5
            Warrior
            • Apr 2016

@randy99,

I have some experience with 2 of those mentioned scopes, the Viper and the Sightron. Closest experience with the Burris is a Black Diamond.

I have the 3-16x model of the Sightron, with the MOA reticle, not quite apples to apples with the Vortex, but much better sight picture vs the Vortex.

Only quibble with the MOA reticle is while it is fine for precision/target shooting, gets a little fine for hunting. Once the light goes away, wished for a thicker reticle because the fine lines disappeared against dark background. Would not be an issue if I knew hunting would only be daylight hrs.

Just my experience,
            SY

Comment

• Randy99CL
              Warrior
              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Randy99CL View Post
              But right now, today, I am researching to buy a target/varmint scope. To be mounted on my .204 Ruger bolt gun or the AR Target .223 I just ordered.

I've been watching the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 PA for a while and planned to buy one at $375, but just today two others that deserve a close look also went on sale.
              The Sightron S-TAC 30MM 4-20x50 and the Burris Fullfield E1 6.5-20x50mm are $399 each.

All three reticles are MOA and usable but I like the Sightron best. More open with center dot.
              Reviews of all 3 are good with no problems anywhere.
              The size and weight are close to the same.
              The glass is reported to be "excellent" on all three. Wish I could find a true comparison review of the 3 with camera shots through the lenses.
              Warranty is lifetime on all three but Vortex and Burris are "no questions asked/no receipt" possibly better.

The reviews of the Sightron are exceptional with many users stating they own other top brands (Nightforce, etc.) and the glass in this scope is as good as those that cost 4x as much. Many state the glass is clearer and sharper than comparable Vortex.

I'm leaning toward the Sightron but hadn't considered that model until this morning so it deserves more research.
              It's funny how things work out. Did more research and decided that I'd buy the Sightron S-TAC 30MM 4-20x50mm (MOA-2 reticle) from Dvor.com for $399.99.
              That night OpticsPlanet read my mind and offered it for $352.74 with free 2-day shipping, wow.

Showed up yesterday and I'm impressed. Most expensive scope I've owned (so far) and first 30mm so I don't have a lot to compare it to but I love it so far.
              Incredible glass (as the reviews stated). Super-Bright, sharp and clear with perfect color and clarity. Excellent, fine reticle. 20x is perfect with no imperfections I can see.
              Massive. Big tube, big W/E knobs, huge objective bell.
              I like the 4-20x zoom range better than 6.5-20x.
              Positive, precise click adjustments. Smooth and tight zoom and parallax adjustments.
              Overall looks and feels high quality. Ships with one of those padded wetsuit covers that protect but look ugly.

OP sent me a $20 off coupon with the scope and it's still on sale so I'm counting my pennies to see if I can afford another.
              "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

Working...
              X