• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Lessons learned the hard way

Like the title says gents.

Went to a local gun shop today and wouldn't you believe it he had two nib 28 round c products defense mags.

He tells me he got them off a guy earlier today and if I buy one he will give me the other free.
    So I said heck yea.

Now for my high cap mags I been useing elander and asc and have yet to have a problem from them other then one of the asc mags needed a lil tweaked just a hair.

But for 10 bucks plus one free new in box I couldn't pass it up.

So I take one out and load up my home defense ammo 90 tnt rounds factory load also from a new box.

And over the next six hours I managed to destroy all 50 rounds of that ammo trying to make that one mag work.

Feed lips all jacked up had to tweak and retweak and then go back and double retweak but that didn't do much so my next step.

I took open the mag and dropped it's spring for a pmag spring that helped it out alot but still wouldn't reilable hand feed more then 2 or 3 rounds before a jam would happen, that's when I noticed the follower is so much a pill of junk that when it hits the heavy curved section of the mag it hangs up.

Also noticed the spring is not attached to the follower in anyway shape or form.

Ok so enough talk about the junk mag, now you ask what I mean I destroyed 50 rounds of ammo.

Well two rounds have the bullet smashed down double hard into the powder and the rest the bullets are so loss in the casings I can pull them out the case by hand and the reseat them by hand.

So yea a 10 dollar mag cost me bout 60 in ammo once you figure in cost of shipping on that box of ammo I destroyed.

Well lesson learned, stick to elander and asc high cap mags from now on.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Are they the new, exaggerated curve mags?
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
      Are they the new, exaggerated curve mags?
      Yes sir.

The new released mags by cproducts that list as 28 rounders.

Just for giggles I took the other one out the pack and same thing all the same problems only this time it was tearing up some eld-m ammo, after it smashed 2 rounds of that into my feed ramps I shut it down and put it in the pack.

Ohh and thanks for moving this didn't realize I had it in the wrong section.

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

Ouch.
        Yeah, learned the hard way.....
        Thanks for the head's up to the gang.
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

No problem that what we all here for.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Is there a way to clear the follower that would free it up to run smoothly?

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

Is there a way to clear the follower that would free it up to run smoothly?
              I'm not sure to be honest it really feels like the mag is to curved.

You can feel the follower bind on one end and the other end keeps moving till it binds as well and when it does it is very very stiff.

It can still be loaded bit when unloading by hand it jams bad enough you have to slap the mag to unstick it and get it moving again.

Will post some pics I took before we destroyed them by shooting broadheads through them today lmao.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

What y'all see wrong with the follower of the cpd on the left

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                  Chieftain
                  • Oct 2016

One thing comes to mind initially, if one was to round the upper corners of the follower to allow it more "ski" radius as it travels up and down within the radius section of the mag. Perhaps at the bottom of the follower as well. Those look suspiciously like my 5 round followers that are mediocre at best.
                  Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
                    One thing comes to mind initially, if one was to round the upper corners of the follower to allow it more "ski" radius as it travels up and down within the radius section of the mag. Perhaps at the bottom of the follower as well. Those look suspiciously like my 5 round followers that are mediocre at best.
                    Maybe so.

What it doesn't show is the spring is not attached to the follower at all, it just sits lose under it with pressure on the follower.

Now if the follower is to catch that means the spring tention is heavier on on side of the cartridge stack and makes the problem worse.

In that pic is the mag in question far left with asc center and gen 3 pmag on the right. I had thought of changing the follower from the asc but the design is so different I couldn't get it to work and changing the spring to the pmags spring didn't really help at all.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2015

Comparing it to the asc and elander mags I'm almost positive it's a mag for 7.62x39 designed for the ar15 and they just stamped 6.5 grendel on it.

The mag has way more curve then the asc and elander and the (not sure the correct term) ridge on top where you load the first round is on the wrong side dang near dead square and way shorter then the asc and elander mags.

I'm trying to download pics of this mag and cpd 7.62x39 ar15 mags to compare the top section if the follower better.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

We stopped by their booth at SHOT, and they said they put a lot of effort into making these mags work, with a lot of testing.

Has anyone else had these problems with the new CProducts Defense, high curve magazine?

I honestly have seen the old 25rd mags work just fine over the years, including during several 2 and 3-day courses.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2015

We stopped by their booth at SHOT, and they said they put a lot of effort into making these mags work, with a lot of testing.

Has anyone else had these problems with the new CProducts Defense, high curve magazine?

I honestly have seen the old 25rd mags work just fine over the years, including during several 2 and 3-day courses.
                          I don't know but from looking at pics of each mag they are twins except the x39 mags follower is black and the grendel is blue.

I understand it could have been just unluck of the draw and I got two turds but to be honest I just can't make myself believe it at this point.

So I'm going on joebobs and order another 28 rounder and a matching x39 mag to compare the two.

More money out my pocket but I'm determined to figure it out.
                          Last edited by A5BLASTER; 07-25-2018, 03:58 AM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2015

Well I was going to buy a x39 mag to compare but joebobs doesn't list a 28 round cpd x39 mag and everywhere I check online shows that size x39 cpd mag out of stock.

But the pics I find of these two mags they look like twins.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2015

Ok a lil more Intel on these mags.

I had wrote a very lengthy email to cpd last night about the two mags I had problems with and that I had ordered the same grendel mag from joebobs last night and was looking for a 28 round x39 mag to order to compare the two.

They asked that when I get the mag from joebobs in the mail to send it to them because they feel it was a missed labeled x39 mag joebobs was selling.

And believe that the mags I had got at the local gun shop was part of a batch that was missed labeled as 28 rounders that are infact 26 rounders and had also been miss labeled as grendel when they were intact x39 mags.

They said the two mags look almost identical but the geometry and follower in the mags were diffrent.

They said they want the mag I bought at joebobs last night and in return will send me two mags to replace it.

I told them ok and will follow through with it and see what happens, so look for more info in the coming days when I get the mags from cpd home office.

Comment

Working...
                              X