Just paid the $$$ for a new Athlon Midas TAC....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mdewitt71
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

Just paid the $$$ for a new Athlon Midas TAC....

I have the Athlon Argos BTR and like it so I figured I would try the Midas Tac with HD glass for my 18" Grendel.

athlon-midas-tac-6-24x50-aprs2-ffp-mil-non-illuminated-11.jpg

Should be here Monday, can't wait to try it out.

- More to follow.
    Last edited by mdewitt71; 07-29-2018, 02:33 AM.
    ― George Orwell
  • Popeye212
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2018

Congrats

Comment

• Taz575
      Warrior
      • Jul 2018

Nice! I have the 4.5-27x50 older SFP and a 2.5-15 SFP coming in as well as a Helos 4-24. I like the scopes, but still like SFP better, reticle is more visible. My helos reticle is hard to see on 4x because it is so fine/small.

Comment

• mdewitt71
        Warrior
        • Dec 2016

OK, mail lady dropped it off.... 1st impressions outta the box, a real improvement on the turrets, very audible and precise; I am impressed. Glass is a def improvement over the Argos BTR, a lil brighter and crisp, I was thinking it reminds me of my Vortex Viper glass but, I will wait and put em side by side to see if it is even better......
        Turrets seem to track when I crank on em and spin around, they return to where they need to be; so far.
        Bad weather right now. I have a target set up at 150 yards in backyard and will play with the Argos, Midas, and Nikon Monarch 3, and Vortex Viper HS-T to compare them later this week.
        So far it is nice, just wish it had come with flip caps but, I can understand on the price point.
        I have my grendel broke down waiting my Larue trigger so not shooting but, will follow up when I can.
        ― George Orwell

Comment

• mdewitt71
          Warrior
          • Dec 2016

Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50 vs. Athlon Argos 6-24x50 vs. Athlon Midas TAC 6-24x50mm

1st the turrets are better than the Argos, great click and feel. I even think they have a more positive click than the HS-Ts...
          The Midas TAC glass labeled HD is a lil brighter and crisper than the Argos BTR glass; a very very close equal to the Viper ED glass.
          I put up an newer style Army silhouette at a hundred and fifty yards with a Archery Poker target. I could easily read the words and see the details of the soldier through the Midas and the Viper. The Viper was a little bit more sharper on the letters cuz I can read them a little easier but, the Midas was very very close and if I spent more time behind it and played with the side parallax; it might be the exact same. (More to follow).

Hand held Cell phone pics suck.... I need to invest in a mount one day. Storms were about to roll in so I was pressed for time.
          I did not get a pics of the Athlon Argos that came out very well. Thru the eye I was still able to read the letters on the paper but, just not as sharp as the HS-T or the Midas TAC. With the mirage thru the Argos, it seemed like it wasn't as focused in (sharp) as the other two scopes...
          Not that the Argos is junk, it still tracks very well when spinning the dials and so far has always returned to where it is supposed to.

HS-T (MOA) SFP on 24x at 150 yards:

Midas Tac (MIL) FFP on 24X at 150 yards:

Again cell phone pics do not really do it justice... the colors came out really nice.
          I have Steiner M5Xi and Night Force scopes to play with at work so, I have been behind more expensive glass and would never tell you these are better or rival them.

The Viper is running around $550- $575 now days..... The Midas TAC is coming in at $630; I think for the $$$ the FFP is a big plus for the LR game as long as the turrets hold up (time will tell).
          So far, I am excited to try it out the Midas TAC and not disappointed out of the box like I was with the Talos 4-14x44, Nikon Pro Staff, and Burris Fullfield E1.
          ― George Orwell

Comment

Working...
          X