• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Randy99CL
    Warrior
    • Oct 2017

Muzzle Devices and Accuracy

I know that many of us here are fans of Johnny and his Reloading Bench on youtube.

He's working on a new series where he tests muzzle devices (and weights) for accuracy; these things can make a huge difference. Spoiler Alert...he doesn't draw any meaningful conclusions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoBXTrngLxg

This is important to me because I've noticed how much his accuracy has changed when he tries different devices. I have thread protectors on my rifles, don't like hiders or brakes and don't want to spend the $$$ or time for a suppressor.

Have there been any other studies that you've seen with any usable conclusions?

I'm thinking of buying a couple of the limbsaver rubber donuts and try them. Any personal experiences?

TIA
    "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

Not a scientific study but i shoot allot better with my suppressor. It reduces recoil and sound which in turn reduces flinching and is much more enjoyable to shoot from my personal experience.

Comment

• Popeye212
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2018

From the videos I saw I drew different conclusions on certain devices but you could without doubt see the suppressors made the most consistent improvement. Was pleased to see the Gamma V65 did well. He ignored the third group with the weight which improved the group to .6 with the third weight. Limbsaver did however show a difference.

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

There are several mentions in the threads about muzzle brakes and the studies done on them. An MB improves "accuracy" chiefly by reducing recoil and rotational torque at the shot. Recoil reduction comes by redirecting most of the blast to the sides or somewhat to the rear, thus that deflection acts against the rearward impulse. Torque reduction is via the redirection plus any gasses directed upwards by small slots or holes strategically placed on top of the MB, that resulting downward thrust opposes the upward thrust against the rifle's ctr of gravity (which is below the barrel bore, thus an upward rotational force).

The PRS blog studied a lot of MB's and showed the reduction in both recoil and energy (graphically) (IIRC) and measured the effect of the MB on the POI. PRS did 308, 6.5 CM, and 6mm rifles. Lots of MB's.
        TTAG did similar studies of both 308 and 556 for AR style guns, and video'd each MB and shot. It measured the change in recoil by the reduction in rearward movement of the rifle in a standardized sled-type setup. Again, it was about 50-60 MB's if I recall.

What I liked about both of these is they present objective evidence not a subjective feel of several shooters. It gave me something to work with in picking MB's. The VG gamma's and Voodoo's did well and were reasonably priced. The APA Lil B*d is great but costs a lot more. The M4-72 is super but has a lot of backwash that was just "not-liked" by me... but it too worked really well.

I guess if I were a much better shooter I might not need an MB to help me, but I'm just run of the mill, so... MB's are in my specs.
        I have Voodoo, VG 6/65 gamma's, and a couple of the APA's. They definitely help.

Hopefully I'll have a TBAC in a few months, and that should also reduce recoil for me, like a MB but better b/c no sound blast.

I wear muffs (electronic) even when hunting, so for now I'm good with using my MB's.

disclaimer, I haven't seen Johnny's stuff on these topics.
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Popeye212
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2018

Grayfox you should watch some of his videos they can be at times...amusing. I would like to hear yours and others views on his "test"

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

Is Chuck Norris in them?.........

Or Eastwood??

Well................

ok, maybe someday!
            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Popeye212
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2018

Clints cooler than Chuck. But Chuck can rope dudes out of a helicopter. I witnessed it myself on TV

Comment

• Randy99CL
                Warrior
                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Popeye212 View Post
                Grayfox you should watch some of his videos they can be at times...amusing. I would like to hear yours and others views on his "test"
                Do I detect a superior attitude in your post?
                Amusing?

All he did was check accuracy of a lot of different muzzle devices on a few different rifles. He made no predictions, no promises. He drew no conclusions because the whole field is too complicated for his simple testing procedures.
                He picked one or two loads and didn't create any special workups for the tests.

I was disappointed to see how poorly the bare barrels shot when compared to how much improvement he got with some of the devices.
                "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Torque on the muzzle device will affect accuracy as well.

You can tune the muzzle device harmonic resonance with different torque.

A long-time smith from the AMU has a video on that.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Sticks
                    Chieftain
                    • Dec 2016

Thank you for posting that link to the video series again.
                    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

Working...
                    X