• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trident00
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2018

What scope to buy with a budget of +- 1K

Greetings Horde.

My group buy 18” Faxon is nearing completion and the budget has shifted to optics. I would like to be versatile and use the rifle for 100-300 yard hunting white tails and hogs, as well as pushing her further at the range.

I’ve had good luck with Leuopold, and Zeis scopes in these hunting ranges but have never owned any longer distance scopes. I have a few mid grade Nikon scopes on .22’s and big bore air rifles but really have never expected much from them.

I’m sure as I become more familiar with the Grendel, I will be interested in target shooting to 600yds or so. I already have my sights on a Proof carbon fiber barrel.

This build has mainly high end parts and I do not want to drop the ball on optics.

I am 50+ yrs old and prefer a generous field of view and eye relief.

I am not sold on any brand in particular and would love hearing your recommendations.

Many Thanks!!
    Walt
    Last edited by Trident00; 09-19-2018, 02:03 AM.
  • Jakal
    Warrior
    • May 2014

Shop a wide selection of hunting, tactical, and competition rifle scopes at unbeatable prices with expert advice and FREE shipping!

Zeiss Rifle Scopes for sale - get unbeatable prices, user reviews, expert advice and FREE shipping on the largest Zeiss scope inventory in the US!

Zeiss Rifle Scopes for sale - get unbeatable prices, user reviews, expert advice and FREE shipping on the largest Zeiss scope inventory in the US!
    Last edited by Jakal; 09-19-2018, 02:27 AM.
    ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• Sticks
      Chieftain
      • Dec 2016

Proof CF barrel, and you want to get the most of it? Double and then some on your optic budget.

Athlon Cronus and Vortex Razor HD on the low end in low to mid @2k.

For your Faxon at $1k, Same two brands just lower level models, Burris, Nikon, Lupold... Focal plane, reticle, zoom range....lot of options to choose from.
      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

Vortex vipers, Nikon 1000's, I'd say ffp with 16-20x, 44-50 mm lens...
        I took a viper 4-16x/44mm out to 1000 yds in my long distance course, it worked well...
        I'm more of an "economical yet good quality" type of guy, I've not done $1000 for a scope.
        I think the mkt has brought some prices down for given quality, just as it did for that "$2000 rifle" of yesteryear.
        My 2 cents'.
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Trident00
          Bloodstained
          • Apr 2018

I’m loving the responses. Exactly what I was hoping to hear. My first thought was that I could start looking at 1k, but from reading it appears the serious long range shooters are upwards of 3k.
          I don’t mind saving a bit longer and going with a pricier option if the added benefits are there.

What is spending more going to give me that the Zeis conquest HD5 for $800 can not do well enough?

What would serve me the best in the long run? Warranty, magnification, quality, etc.?

Thanks for all your time and knowledge.
          Walt

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

Trident..... were you SSBN?

Comment

• Trident00
              Bloodstained
              • Apr 2018

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
              Trident..... were you SSBN?
              No Sir, I was not.
              I did have the pleasure of working with some talented people years ago that were.

I have the utmost respect and gratitude to all that have or are serving.

One of my regrets is that I did not. My life took me another direction, and my hearing loss may not have allowed me the opportunity.

Respectably,
              Walt

Comment

• grayfox
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2017

No worries, just wondering from your screen name...
                My time under water was many moons ago.... many many moons ago...
                Welcome to the Forum by the way!

Comment

• Bigs28
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2016

You talk about serious long range shooters but they are also shooting past 600 yards/ meters with their 3k optics. For your application you can find what your looking for under 1k. You don't need ffp if your not using the reticles features under max power. If you do get ffp i recommend illuminated. At lower magnifications the reticle can be difficult to see without it.

Comment

• LR1955
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Trident00 View Post
                    Greetings Horde.

My group buy 18” Faxon is nearing completion and the budget has shifted to optics. I would like to be versatile and use the rifle for 100-300 yard hunting white tails and hogs, as well as pushing her further at the range.

I’ve had good luck with Leuopold, and Zeis scopes in these hunting ranges but have never owned any longer distance scopes. I have a few mid grade Nikon scopes on .22’s and big bore air rifles but really have never expected much from them.

I’m sure as I become more familiar with the Grendel, I will be interested in target shooting to 600yds or so. I already have my sights on a Proof carbon fiber barrel.

This build has mainly high end parts and I do not want to drop the ball on optics.

I am 50+ yrs old and prefer a generous field of view and eye relief.

I am not sold on any brand in particular and would love hearing your recommendations.

Many Thanks!!
                    Walt
                    Walt:

Suggestion. Put your favorite mid grade Nikon scope on your Grendel and shoot it at 300 or so yards. If the optic has a functional type of reticle like a mil dot or indexes for minutes of angle, use them while shooting to see how well they work and if you want them in a more expensive optic. Note the clarity of the optic too. After five or ten shooting sessions with the optic, you will have learned what you need to learn to make a decent decision. You will know what features you want and more importantly, why.

LR55

Comment

• mdewitt71
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                      Vortex vipers, Nikon 1000's, I'd say ffp with 16-20x, 44-50 mm lens...
                      I took a viper 4-16x/44mm out to 1000 yds in my long distance course, it worked well...
                      I'm more of an "economical yet good quality" type of guy, I've not done $1000 for a scope.
                      I think the mkt has brought some prices down for given quality, just as it did for that "$2000 rifle" of yesteryear.
                      My 2 cents'.
                      I agree Vortex Viper PST or HS-T and the Nikon Black 1000 are very nice scopes for the $$$.
                      I have the new Athlon Midas Tac 6-24x and can honestly say it is hanging with the Viper and FX1000 Black very well.
                      ― George Orwell

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                        Chieftain
                        • Oct 2016

Absolute best deal going right now for an optic in the thousand dollar price range.

Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• mdewitt71
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2016

I will throw this deal out there too for those that have not seen it-

SWFA is an optics manufacturing specializing in rifle scopes built for tactical, hunting, and long range shooting known for quality and precision optics.
                          ― George Orwell

Comment

• Thegrass13
                            Bloodstained
                            • Jul 2018

While the Vortex scopes are nice for target shooting they do get quite heavy on a hunting rifle. I would recommend a 4-16 Zeiss Conquest 4, or even a leupold VX5 HD. Both are great glass and right around 1k. The leupold weighs next to nothing and offers great performance.

Comment

• Hulsey1975
                              Unwashed
                              • Aug 2017

I strongly recommend vx5hd leupold 3x15x56 with firedot. Glass is awesome same as vx6hd. I have one on a grendel and I'm buying another one. It has a small dot in center or you can use regular crosshair. Go check one out. Comes with free laser etched knob from leupold

Comment

Working...
                              X