• Recondo
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2018

Linear compensator

Recondo
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I’ve only been around a couple linear comps in 5.56/223 on 16” barrel. Both produced a lot of flash in low light. It was really obviouse because we were testing a PVS 14. My 16” AR-15 6.5 Grendel with Phantom Flash Hider has hardly any visual flash and my 16” A-2 Flash Hider in 5.56/223 was way better than the Linear.

Since you mentioned hunting which usually is close to dawn or dusk I thought I’d mention the potential flash issue with Linear comps. The flash might be a non issue for you. I just use my Peltor electronic ear muffs when I hunt. Twin speaker design gives we situational awareness unless it’s real windy. I have enough hearing loss and don’t want to loose anymore so I try not to fire any guns without HP.

Comment

• Bigs28
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2016

If you hunt without hearing pro then i would suggest a suppressor.

Comment

• imaguy3
        Warrior
        • Mar 2018

I have used the kaw valley on a .223.. it was ok. It took away the piercing high pitch sound from a 16" .223 without ears and made it more comfortable but still hard on the hearing(I also predator hunt a lot without ears). It's hollow on the inside then the end cap is on it. Think of a pop can with a perforated bottom.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
          Warrior
          • Nov 2017

I use a flash hider, not a muzzle brake, on my hunting Grendel. Many hunting shots are in low light and I prefer the flash hider for hunting applications.
          Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• Triple 000 Buck
            Unwashed
            • Sep 2014

Checkout the "Covert Comp" at Black River Tactical, I have one on my Grendel and it appears to direct the blast out forward of the muzzle. Never have paid much attention to it as a flash hider, flash hasn't seemed to matter when hunting.

Comment

• AZHTfreak
              Warrior
              • Jan 2017

This
              AR .30 Caliber Blast Diverter from Midwest Industries, a U.S. manufacturer of quality tactical rifle accessories. Quality components, competitive pricing, and top-notch customer service.

or this...
              Great deals on 0.308 Rifle Barrel Parts. Trick out or upgrade your firearm with the largest gun parts selection at eBay.com. Fast & Free shipping on many items!

I've been pleasantly surprised with the fleabay comp...
              DOJ+FBI+IRS+AFT=NKVD. Joe Stalin and Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria are tap dancing in hell right now...

Comment

• Recondo
                Bloodstained
                • Mar 2018

Thanks for the reply’s . I will check them out and post back. Also plan on attending local firearms show and see what I can find at the end of the month.
                Recondo

Comment

• cwlongshot
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2018

I am a HUGE fan od Linear Comps and I also like the KAW VALLEY allot. (I have 7/8 of them now)

NO they will not make anything hearing safe, they are NOT A SLIENCER!! BUT, they absolutely will remove the concussive blast to the ears of the shooter!

This is the last one I installed on my 450 Bushmaster.

Here is one on my Marlin Camp Carbine 45 ACP

I have a couple on 300 BLK rifles and couple more on 223/556 all remove that annoying blast. On a 22 they are most fun!

CW

Comment

• Recondo
                    Bloodstained
                    • Mar 2018

Cool!I bought a Troy claymore at a show, also bought a “bev” block. Hope to install this week. Question: do you just slide in the bolt carrier backwards to assist in holding it all togetherness? Thanks
                    Recondo

Comment

• imaguy3
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2018

Originally posted by Recondo View Post
                      Cool!I bought a Troy claymore at a show, also bought a “bev” block. Hope to install this week. Question: do you just slide in the bolt carrier backwards to assist in holding it all togetherness? Thanks
                      fast forward to 3:00 and watch

Comment

• bj139
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2017

Originally posted by imaguy3 View Post
                        fast forward to 3:00 and watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN8auNCtZSk
                        This link is to a Giessele reaction rod video. Oops.

Do linear comps reduce recoil?
                        Found my answer here at 7:30. No.

No recoil effect but cool Grendel head at 14:50.
                        VG6 Epsilon and Gamma at 20:00.

It looks like the more gas directed rearward, the more effective the brake. Choice is ears or shoulder.
                        Last edited by bj139; 10-30-2018, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• FRB6.5
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2018

Originally posted by Recondo View Post
                          RE; the Bev block. Pull the bolt assembly out of the carrier. The carrier then slides over the O-ring end.

Comment

• Labrat198
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2018

Hope you don't mind me jumping in here.

None of my previous deer hunting rifles gave me the option of adding a muzzle device. Now that I have that option with the 6.5 Grrr I have been thinking about getting a linear comp. Looking at the BRT Covert Comp and Kaw Valley primarily and wondering if anyone has tried both?

Main goal is reducing noise to my ear. I've only just started bringing HP with me in the woods, but unless I'm in a ground blind I typically don't want to make the extra movements getting it on. Not interested in going down the suppressor trail at this time.
                            Secondary goal is to tame some muzzle flash. As long as it doesn't make MORE flash than a bare muzzle, I will be happy with it.

Comment

• imaguy3
                              Warrior
                              • Mar 2018

I had the kaw valley, and then switched to the griffin. The kaw valley made it sound lower in tone and did take away some of the ear pain. The griffin did the same but added a bit of muzzle control, unfortunately I don't see them having it as a 308 option.

Comment

Working...
                              X