• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blackINC
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2018

Optic for 12" 6.5 Hunting Setup Recommendations

I'm new to the forum and I'm sure there are plenty of threads out there on this topic so I apologize for any redundancy.

As the title says, I'm looking for an optic for my 12" PSA for whitetail deer hunting.

Most of my shots will be in the woods around 30-50 yards. However, I do have a spot over the food plot where I could easily reach out to 200 yards. So looking at 30 yards out to 200 yards, 300 max. Again, 75-80% of the time, it will be within a 50 yard shot for me in my primary stand. I plan on using Hornady SST for the lethal round. I prefer illuminated reticle, and BDC as well. Other than that, I'm not really brand specific. What are some recommendations for something like this? As far as budget, anything 600.00 and below would be fantastic. Thanks again for any input, and sorry for and redundancy on this topic!

-blackINC
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Will you be shooting before dawn or dusk?

A quality LPVO sounds about right for you. A red dot will handle those 30-40yd shots just fine, but isn't ideal for 100-300yds when looking to place hits inside of the vital zone.

It can be done, but a LPVO is better for that.

You can get a Vortex 1-8x24 Strike Eagle with Vortex mount from Optics Planet for $469 right now.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Bigs28
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2016

I second the strike eagle. For the price, warranty, and features, it's hard to beat. Black Friday is coming up to so their will be deals.

Comment

• blackINC
        Unwashed
        • Oct 2018

Thanks, that's the optic I've been leaning towards after reading some other threads. Prime time in Indiana is right when the sun comes up and about an hour before the sun goes down. So the lighting won't be as bright then, but I would think the x24 would just be big enough to let enough light through for me, along with the illuminated reticle. Wouldn't you all agree?

Comment

• Glockpride
          Warrior
          • Sep 2018

Last edited by Glockpride; 11-01-2018, 01:05 AM.

Comment

• FRB6.5
            Warrior
            • Oct 2018

Originally posted by blackINC View Post
            Thanks, that's the optic I've been leaning towards after reading some other threads. Prime time in Indiana is right when the sun comes up and about an hour before the sun goes down. So the lighting won't be as bright then, but I would think the x24 would just be big enough to let enough light through for me, along with the illuminated reticle. Wouldn't you all agree?
            At 4x you'd have a 6mm exit pupil which would be plenty bright, just a matter of is that enough magnification for you at the ranges you anticipate.

Comment

• blackINC
              Unwashed
              • Oct 2018

Thanks for the input, I think I'm going to go ahead and purchase the Vortex 1-8x24 Strike Eagle!

Comment

• Keef
                Warrior
                • Jun 2017

I've almost bought this one a few times.....and probably will whenever I get another scope. USA made. https://www.opticsplanet.com/shepher...mil-scope.html I've talked to shepard and if you buy direct from them the discount on a scope/mount combo is pretty good.

Comment

• Bigs28
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2016

If you can wait a couple weeks their will be good savings on black Friday

Comment

• easterneag
                    Bloodstained
                    • Oct 2014

Anybody have experience with Nikon 1x4''s. Either Black Force 1000 or Monarch 3. I have several Prostaff 7''s that I really like but have not seen the lower power models like these first hand.

Comment

• Bigs28
                      Chieftain
                      • Feb 2016

Every scope i used to own was a nikon. The nikon monarch 3 was the last nikon i will ever buy. It was not the low power. It's the 4-16x42. I personally would not recommend the monarchs or below. No experience with their higher end models but the blacks have got pretty good reviews.

Comment

• BrowningGuy88
                        Bloodstained
                        • Sep 2018

I have a Nikon on my Ruger SR. It is an older Prostaff 3-9x40 and it has been a jam up scope. Withstood 1000's of miles on the center console of the truck and on the dash of the side by side and never lost zero.

That said, for my 12" Monster build I am going with a 1-8 power Vortex.

Comment

• dl126
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jul 2017

I have a Black on both of my longer range rifles.

Bought a Strike Eagle 1-6 for my pistol.
                          Hated that thing.
                          Kept it for a month and sold it.

Replaced it with this one.

Stadia lines are almost too small for older eyes like mine.
                          And it needs illumination for low light hunting.
                          Other than that .... I'll be keeping this one for a bit.

Comment

• biodsl
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2011

Here are a couple of 1-4 options that should work well on a pistol. Note: both have exposed turrets if you like/or don't like that in a hunting scope.

This is a re-boot of the Vortex PST Gen I which was discontinued and is now a Midway exclusive. I actually own this scope and like it (though I wish I had bought the milrad version). It currently is doing duty on my S&W AR15-22. MOA reticle.

Here's an SWFA option that you don't hear about much. Should be 20% off during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale. I don't have any experience with it but have owned three SWFA scopes (currently own two) and been satisfied with them all. I'd like to test drive this one on my AA 16" carbine. Mil reticle.
                            SWFA is an optics manufacturing specializing in rifle scopes built for tactical, hunting, and long range shooting known for quality and precision optics.
                            Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Bearcatrp
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2018

I have a Burris RT6 on my 12 inch Grendel. It’s a good scope but wish the center dot was smaller. If you have old eyes like me, suggest you get a 1-8 for minimum scope. Am also considering a 2-10 but the ones I have looked at seem to large and heavy for a 12 inch barrel. Good luck on your decision.

Comment

Working...
                              X