• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Planning phase for upgrading 3 scopes

It is with some sadness that I must plan for upgrading 3 of my old but trustworthy (older style) Buckmasters BDC scopes, 4.5-14x40 all. Somewhat sad b/c they have, I think, done well for me over the years, but alas my eyesight may need more clarity than they can deliver, eyes are not getting any younger that's for sure... 6.5+ decades on them ..... so, the planning phase has begun.

Mostly hunting but some target work - that's what I shoot. These will sit on 2 grendels (16 AR and 20" Howa) and a 6.5 CM 24" hunter. 300 hunting shot, 600 target shots, max anticipated ranges.

What I like about the Nikons, beyond the fact that to me the glass has been pretty decent.

1. they have a BDC reticle, so either keep that style or get some MOA marks, 2-20 or whatever. Not real sold on the Vortex "3 or 4" DOA dots like some diamondbacks and HS's (and the glass may not be much better than my BM's). I have a VMR and an EBR-2C which seem pretty good (although their hairlines are a tad thin).
    2. the reticle needs to be thick enough for shooting indoors at the range (where the lighting must be lower than outdoors, idk but it always looks a bit darker to me than outside). the bdc crosshairs met this fine.
    3. Range: 4.5-14x is great, I could go I think as low as 10x on the top, so 10-16x top end is what I'm looking for.
    4. MOA subtensions, all of my scopes are MOA and I will stick with that.

Above all, improved glass clarity and a decent eye-box are top-line needs.

So, with this in mind..... what scopes should I be thinking on? I can't go the $1K route, but if they are up to $600 I would probably plan on one at a time over a period of months, which would be ok. I'll sell the BM's to recoup a bit on the new scopes, so a $600 net is my working figure budget-wise for now.
    There are some Nikon prostaff 5's, I have one but have not run a comparison to my older BM's, so that's a maybe.

1 or 2 could be 2.5-10X but the third I want more like a 14-16x top magnification.

Ideas and discussion appreciated. This is a planning phase, so I'm not gonna run out and buy one or 3 right away...
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Hmmm very thought out list Gray hmmmm.

I have been running vortex since I got into the grendel and they have done good for me. Like you my eyes are getting worse and I now feel like 16 on the top end of power is borderline.

I got my hands on a Athlon Argos not to long back 4-20 power and have been very happy with it. Love their reticle that's in the scope.

Plan on upgrading all my scopes too athlon one by one.

Comment

• BCHunter
      Warrior
      • Jan 2018

I just received an athlon midas 2.5-15x 50. They are currently 250.00 from cameraland NY. This is normally 500 scope glass is Japanese. And often reviewed as similar to vortex hs line. The most common complaint is the turrets being too light. But for the price I couldn't pass trying it.

I would take a serious look at there products for a budget minded hunting /non competitive target scope.
      I'll try to do a review once set up. I have Leopold vx3, nikon, zeiss conquest, vortex Hs.

It is a heavy scope, if that influences your decision.

Comment

• dl126
        Bloodstained
        • Jul 2017

2nd FP
        MOA markings only accurate on 16X
        Can use SpotOn app for BDC at lower mag if desired.
        Last edited by dl126; 12-13-2018, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

That nikon x1000 is a good candidate. I've not ever owned an Athlon although looked at them
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• NeilVT79
            Bloodstained
            • Oct 2018

If I were in the market for a target scope with bdc the new primary arms 3-18 ffp really gives me the fizz.

I have no experience with this particular optic, but there are extensive reviews from big you tubers. The pa scopes I do have are excellent, the bdc works very well and the chevron tip really helps with accuracy.

I have a newer Nikon prostaff on my muzzleloader and really like the clarity and the bdc is "spot on" so if you already like Nikon they have plenty of great options.

Hope I could help, good luck.

Comment

Working...
            X