FDE Magazines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FDE Magazines

I couldn't find this on here or Google so here goes. I am building a Grendel right now and have decided to go with FDE furniture. I would ike to get some FDE magazines as well but reliability is much more important than looks. Is there currently anyone making FDE magazines for this round? I know Magpul isn't but They would be my first choice if there is anyway to modify them to make them work. Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Justin
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Pmags can work with a few rounds for informal shooting, but I wouldn't risk using 'em for protection or hunting.

No real FDE mag options that I'm aware of for the Grendel. You can paint 'em yourself and touch up as needed, try a better DIY coating (like Brownells Alumahyde), or get some mags professionally coated (Duracoat, Cerakote, hydrodip, etc).
    Last edited by Drifter; 12-30-2011, 02:08 AM. Reason: error
    Drifter

Comment

Well this is going to be a dedicated Coyote rig, with maybe a little hog hunting if the chance presents itself. Has anyone tried to have any mags powdercoated? I have a contact to do powdercoating really cheap. As far as the hydrodip goes how durable is it and who does it in NC?

Comment

• Drifter
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

My original post above said "can't paint 'em". It should have indicated that you can paint mags. Sorry for the error. I edited the other post.

FWIW, I've painted my own mags using cheap spray paint. Works surprising well, but will eventually require touch-up.

Not sure of professional coating sources in NC. Maybe others will chime in...
        Drifter

Comment

Has anyone tried the 17 round magazines the Palmetto State Armory sells? I don't know who the manufacturer is but might give them a try.

Comment

• Drifter
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Those appear to be either ASC or C-Products, which are of the same design.

Some say the 15 / 17-round versions are the most likely to be problematic, but I haven't had any issues with the ones that I've used.
            Drifter

Comment

I Cerakoted all my mags except for one 17rd, which I Alumahyded. The Cerakote holds up the best, although the steel mag catch will slightly scrape the mag no matter what coating you use.

The 17rd mags have worked fine for me only loading to 5 rounds, but over 10 and you run into problems. They should probably all be blocked to 10 or less, whatever works. The general consensus is to stick with 5rd, 10rd, or 25rd mags, and not load the 17rd mags to capacity if you have them.

Comment

Working...
              X