• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NOLAGT
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2017

Scope mountfor a 12"er

I picked up a 12" PSA Grendel and im looking to put some glass on it. I have a ATN xsight 4k pro I was going to run on it but in the event I don't get it sorted out in time I need to mount a scope on it to hunt coming up. I have a Bushnell elite 3500 2-7x32 I was going to stick on it...that should be good to about 150 yards? Or would I be better served putting a Nikon M308 4-16x44 on it? I have the nikon on a 9" 300blk that I was going to bring along to hunt as well. What QD mount...looking for light and QD since this scope may bounce around to some other rifles as a temp.

TIA
  • Rangerofthenorth
    Warrior
    • Dec 2018

I have a couple of American Defense Recon mounts that are light and have solid RTZ. Running a scope similar to yours in one, a Nikon M Tactical 4-16, and it's a great combo.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 01-26-2019, 10:42 PM.

Comment

• Lastrites
        Warrior
        • Apr 2017

Yes you would be better served putting your Nikon M308 4-16x44 on it as it is a bit much for a 300 B, put the 2-7 on the blk out instead, unless weight is an issue then the 2-7 would work fine on your 12" out way past 150 to more like 300 yards if not further if you know the holdovers. Something in the 2-10 would be a great compromise bwtn the two, for me if the guns main purpose is for hunting I'd be more focused in getting the most magnification at the lightest weight possible.

QD mount, always liked the LaRues.
        Last edited by Lastrites; 01-27-2019, 11:58 AM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

I like these:

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• rebby
            Warrior
            • Mar 2017

I'm partial to Geissele mounts but they're only available in 30mm/34mm. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of QD mounts so I tend to go with something solid and fixed.

The Bushnell Elite is a 1" tube if I'm not mistaken so you'll need to go w/something else.

* LaRue - Fantastic mounts with impressive RTZ, I'm not a huge fan of the levers even though they work extremely well.
            * American Defense - Another great QD solution, uses a more conventional "clamp" than the LaRue.
            * Warne X-Skel - Really solid mount but very limited in extension options.
            * Aero Precision - Great lightweight option, can be tricky to level the reticle. Potentially the most "fragile" option.
            * JP Rifles - JP offers a couple of different mounts. I believe that they're all 30mm mounts with optional 1" sleeves, I'd only go this route if you're going to upgrade to 30mm in the future.
            * Leupold Mk2 IMS - I'm not a huge fan of the single screw caps but they certainly work.
            * PRI Gator - Another QD choice, this one just has one lever.

I'm sure that I'm leaving more than a few out but that's a pretty solid set of choices. I have a Warne X-Skel for some of my 1" tubes and the Aero Precision for others. I also have a few LaRue and AD mounts floating around (that I tend not to use). Since you mentioned wanting something QD, I'd grab either a LaRue or an AD. You really can't go wrong with either one.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

LaRue has a new scope mount with hand tightening knobs, no levers.

LR-204

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• rebby
                Warrior
                • Mar 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

LR-204

These new CAN adjust mounts are nice. I wasn’t referring to the adjustment wrench though, I meant the lever that engages w/the picatinny. I really wish that I could get a LaRue mount with some sort of permanent attachment but Mark is stubborn and will never do it. I find myself buying more and more Giessele mounts these days anyway.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

The LaRue VFZ mount is a permanent mount that I like as well, very streamlined with no snag exterior.

I put that on my Stealth 2.0 Grendel with the 1-6x24 GRSC Norden scope.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• jaybee1669
                    Bloodstained
                    • Mar 2018

LR-204

I just got my 204 in a few days ago. It's incredible how solid the thing mounts up.

The only problem i've seen with it so far is the retainer on the rear latch. It has a small raised edge, so if you have to adjus the levers too far down for a slightly out of spec upper, or maybe you have a build of ceracote then the rear latch won't close all the way and you can't lock it in place.

I tried it across 3 different manufacturers uppers. The SAA was fine, the Fostechs were fine, but the upper i got from Republic Firearms will not work with this mount. The forging mark indicates it's from Anchor Harvey.

Comment

• rebby
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2017

The LaRue VFZ mount is a permanent mount that I like as well, very streamlined with no snag exterior.

I put that on my Stealth 2.0 Grendel with the 1-6x24 GRSC Norden scope.
                      I remember when that first came out, I was so excited for a fixed LaRue mount. Then I checked it out and noticed that it used the same attachment method as the lever mounts.

Comment

• AZHTfreak
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2017

Got a lightly used Aero Precision APRA210700 1" SPR mount for sale. If you're interested, PM me.
                        DOJ+FBI+IRS+AFT=NKVD. Joe Stalin and Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria are tap dancing in hell right now...

Comment

• NOLAGT
                          Bloodstained
                          • Nov 2017

Comment

• rebby
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by NOLAGT View Post
                            Ok what about the actual scope now...looking at a vx5hd in either 2-10x42 or 3-15x44. Leaning to the 2-10 for the size but don’t want to short myself. I have a Nikon m308 4-16x44 on it temporarily and it feels ok...it’s close to the 3-15x44 size.

Or is there a better option y’all think.
                            What is your intended use? That may influence what type of reticle and/or turrets that you want. I have a number of short Grendels that I use for hunting. One of my favorites has 2-12x42 VX6 on it, another has a Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8x32. Both have served the purpose very well. I doubt that you'll be "shorting" yourself w/a 2-10 on 12".

Comment

• NOLAGT
                              Bloodstained
                              • Nov 2017

Comment

Working...
                              X