• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nodak
    Warrior
    • Nov 2016

Vortex Viper HS-LR 6-24x50 XLR MOA

I have wanted one of these for many years and now have a line on one for $480 shipped. Now that I'm ready to get it I am taking one last look around to see if there is a better option. Its for my Howa Mini in a chassis. All around usage gun. Hunting, target shooting, varmint, etc. Would I be better off with a used like new Sightron S3 for $500 or does an illuminated reticle come in handy with FFP stuff? PST maybe worth the extra $120? I did buy a Sightron S-Tac 4-20X50, mounted but not sighted in yet. I would easily move it to another gun. I am really looking to have a scope to dial with so zero-stop is high on my list.

One big question I have is will the 1/2moa click elevation be a cripple to me?
  • rabiddawg
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2013

The illumination will help because ffp reticle get hard to see in low light (hunting) situations.

IMO, 6x is too much on the low end for hunting. I have one that only sees hunting trips that offer long shots.
    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Lightning8
      Warrior
      • Jun 2015

I have one - to me it is the equal of my Vortex Viper PST 4-16. Biggest difference it capped windage turret. Reticle is more of a target reticle than a hunting reticle - the illumination will be useful morning and late afternoon/early evening. I had one for years and it is currently on a 223 bull barrel Savage 10.

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

This is just my $0.02 but 24x seems too much for a howa grendel.
        I'd suggest you look at either the diamondback 4-16x44 (this one is ffp) or the 3-18x44 strike eagle (this one has an Illum reticle) for that price range (even mid-hi $300's). Both will give you better close-ups. and while neither one has the zero stop they do have the zero reset so getting back to zero won't be an issue.
        I have the strike eagle on my howa, it's a definite improvement from the Nikon's I had it (not that Nikon's were bad but my eyes now seem to need a better scope). Couple of the diamondbacks on 2 other rifles.
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• TXCrow
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2019

+1 on the 4-16x44 diamondback tactical FFP. A buddy of mine picked up the 3-15 pst gen2 and returned it after shooting the Diamondback ffp on my 20" grendel. Damn hard to beat for the money.

Comment

• Glockpride
            Warrior
            • Sep 2018

6x is a lot on the low end. Yes, the pst is a great scope. I own many Vortex and just bought an Athlon late last year and really like it. Might take a look at those as well.

Comment

• Nodak
              Warrior
              • Nov 2016

I'll need to think on this some more. I going to leave the Sightron on for now and see what I think. I will add that I am more accustomed to higher magnification even in hunting. I even had great success for years with a straight 10x scope. I'm in my late 40's now and besides whitetail seas on its 90% gopher/PDogs with an occasional coyote. What I really need to do is sell off some of my collection to what I actually use and just get real good optics for them. Hard to drop $1000 scopes on 15 or so guns.

Comment

Working...
              X