• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • isaacspoon
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2019

Best stubby scope for AR

Hey all, I am in the final stages of my AR build. I havent gotten the TOP NOTCH items for everything, but this AR is purpose built and I expect to see .5" or smaller groups. Reason for the build is primarily hunting, but realistically it will probably see more range time time hunt time because I have another bolt gun i use for deer hunts.

I have been looking for a quality optic to throw on top of the grendel that TRACKS EXCELLENT, and is still fairly clear. tracking is more important to me than clarity since the round can't accurately shoot much passt 1200yds. My first choice of optic would be a leupold mark 5, but those are a bit more than i want to spend on a rifle that wont be my primary rifle for any specific purpose. Because of that, I have started looking for other stubby (short) scopes that will still track reliably at long range (I have a 2k yard range near me, so yes I actually shoot longer distances) and a scope that has acceptable clarity. I would prefer an optic to have at least 14x magnification, but i find myself shooting at or around 20x at distance with all my other optics. It must be variable because it will be used for hunting as well.

Here are a list of some of the scopes I have been considering IF I do not end up just getting a mark 5

-Bushnell DMR or HDMR gen 2
    -Burris XTR 2
    -Eotech vudu
    -sig tango 6

I would prefer a stubby/short scope because my barrel is an 18" and I don't want the scope to be near as long as the handguard/barrel itself.

Any of you guys have any experience with any of these optics on a grendel? pics? pros/cons on an AR? If I had to pic a 2nd place optic behind the leupold mark 5, it would be a tie between the sig and eotech
  • Kswhitetails
    Chieftain
    • Oct 2016

Stay away from the Sig optics. I've held two T6s and several T4s. None have impressed me at all. Mushy, sloppy, and disappointing. I've never shot one, so I cannot attest to their tracking, but the construction and weight were nauseating.

Burris XTR II or the HDMR2 would be my choice if I couldn't bring myself to get the Mark5. Both of these picks are known for relatively accurate erector assemblies.

My 5-25 Mark5 makes me want to sell a leg for it's little brother for my Grendel.
    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Bigs28
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2016

Didn't this thread have a whole bunch of replies before?

Comment

• Jakegsxr11
        Warrior
        • Nov 2016

Hey all, I am in the final stages of my AR build. I havent gotten the TOP NOTCH items for everything, but this AR is purpose built and I expect to see .5" or smaller groups. Reason for the build is primarily hunting, but realistically it will probably see more range time time hunt time because I have another bolt gun i use

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

If you want a really short scope, these are the shortest, high quality optics that will take semi auto recoil and return-to-battery stroke impacts:

NightForce NX8 1-8x24
          March Optics 1-8x24 Shorty

An 18" Grendel doesn't look bad with most mid-range variable scopes, including 2.5-10x32 Vortex, Leupold Mk 6, or even 3-15x50 slow scopes.

A slow scope is longer because it has less optical elements, whereas a fast scope is shorter but with more optical elements stacked closely.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• isaacspoon
            Unwashed
            • Apr 2019

I have decided to go with the 5-25 eotech vudu with the h59 reticle. I pick it up on friday. I will post pics of my build in a new thread as well as pics of the optic and how it performs. I will be at my 2k yard range on friday after I pick up the scope and be shooting with hornady black. I plan to work up loads in the future but want to stretch its legs as soon as i can

Comment

• centerfire
              Warrior
              • Dec 2017

Originally posted by isaacspoon View Post
              I have decided to go with the 5-25 eotech vudu with the h59 reticle. I pick it up on friday. I will post pics of my build in a new thread as well as pics of the optic and how it performs. I will be at my 2k yard range on friday after I pick up the scope and be shooting with hornady black. I plan to work up loads in the future but want to stretch its legs as soon as i can
              Please post a review if you don't mind. I don't know what other scopes you have but a comparison would be great.

Comment

• isaacspoon
                Unwashed
                • Apr 2019

Originally posted by centerfire View Post
                Please post a review if you don't mind. I don't know what other scopes you have but a comparison would be great.
                here is a quick overview of the scope itself. I am still trying to find some good shooting box ammo, but i am just getting the rifle broken in. I will update as i move forward.

I plan to try and get a video comparison of the optical quality between my gen2 razor, athlon ares etr, and this video. so keep an eye on my youtube channel and i will post it when i can

Comment

• centerfire
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2017

Thanks for the review. I found Federal 130gr GMM (Berger AR Hybrid) to be great shooting ammunition.

Comment

• isaacspoon
                    Unwashed
                    • Apr 2019

Originally posted by centerfire View Post
                    Thanks for the review. I found Federal 130gr GMM (Berger AR Hybrid) to be great shooting ammunition.
                    I will get some of that soon, i hope to make it back to the range here in the next few days to try a few other over-the-counter ammo.

below is a video of my build for any who are interested

Comment

Working...
                    X