Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 SHOT Optics Reviews

Kahles:

Kahles has introduced a new tactical line of really nice rifle scopes, and they don't disappoint. They have several different models, to include a 1-6x that I really liked, as well as some other 4-16x50 I think, and 5-25x50 IIRC. Couldn't take any pictures of course legally, but the scopes are great:

Turrets have tactile clicks, zero-stop on some of them, lots of elevation
    Tubes on the 4-16 and 5-25 are 34mm
    Glass is superb really
    Reticles are nice, with Mil scales I think
    These scopes are REALLY lightweight gents/gals
    I checked them over with 3 of my other long-range buddies who are at the level where they shoot or run invitational only and other national-level field matches, and they were all impressed. They run USO and S&B exclusively on their guns, but were really impressed with the new Kahles tactical line-up. Kahles reps were extremely customer-friendly, knowledgeable, and asking for honest feedback. Great people all around.

NighForce updated their velocity reticle line, by shooting running 5000 different loads and taking averages to get the best stadia indexing for that line of reticles. The also debuted a new MOAR reticle, with a floating crosshair like an S&B PMII P4, but in MOA, with different duplex bars with fine points, rather than blocks line a traditional duplex.

USO has some great new 1-6 and 1-8 smaller scopes that are really matched well to the AR platform. You can customize of course, and spec your preferred reticles, knobs, coating, and other features as usual. Great glass, and they are now ISO 9001 certified.

I'm going to check out the new Hensoldt scope that is supposed to be the cat's meow, and look over the Steiners tomorrow. From what I've seen at a glance so far with the Steiners, they look like S&B, and I saw some with Cerakote finishes on other exhibitor's rifles.

Let me know if anyone wants me to look over something for you...

Mounts:

I really have to put a major plug in for PRI's Gator Grip mount. It has a heavy spring tension camming system that clamps to a 1913 rail like nobody's business. I have to say that this will be my next mount for a 1-4x or 1-6x scope, and they are a $185 MSRP:

You can put whatever PRI rings you want on it, and they have a ton of options in that area. Really solid, quick detach/quick attack system...no tools.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
      Let me know if anyone wants me to look over something for you...
      If you do not mind... Meopta is announcing on the web site two new item that I am interested in.

http://www.meopta.com/en/new-meostar...404043227.html and

I would like to know. If they will sale them soon and MSRP. Thank you!
      Last edited by Guest; 01-19-2012, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Ammo, have you been to the Wolf booth, any word on steel case Grendel ammo? Any new player, other manufactures jumping in?

Comment

Wolf has Grendel ammo on the floor, and even some new polymer/metal case stuff they have been working on.

Didn't get to stop by Meopta.

So far, the things with optics that really impressed me today were Hensholdt's new long-range scope with x26 magnification and very short overall length, & 18 Mils per turn! Hensholdt also has some great little fixed 4x and 6x compact scopes that smoke the ACOG, and are under $1k easy.

Steiner's 1-4x. You really have to see the Steiner 1-4x to believe it, simply beautiful. It has a red dot feature in it with plenty of brightness like an Aimpoint, and on 1x, it looks as if no glass is in the tube...super crystal clear and no real optical distortion feel at all, like a Swarovski Z6i 1-6x. It also has the smoothest magnification ring, small target turret with zero stop, .1 Mil clicks, off-between illumination settings, and is light. It's a really great scope all around, and you can tell they took a lot of input from people that know when they did everything on it. The Steiner tactical line also has 4-16x and 5-25x scopes that are amazing...like S&B or Hensholdt in appearance, 34mm tubes, great turrets, zero-stop, illumination, great reticles with Mil hashes and mil dots with .5 mil hashes in between.

The Steiner tactical scopes are also made in the US except for the 5-25x56 Military, which is entirely made in Germany.

Comment

• icanhithimman

Any eyes on the Leupold MK6?

Comment

Originally posted by icanhithimman View Post
              Any eyes on the Leupold MK6?
              I didn't have plans to stop by their booth, but now I kinda want to after looking into that. Seems quite large though, like the 1.1-8 CQBSS.

Comment

• icanhithimman

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                I didn't have plans to stop by their booth, but now I kinda want to after looking into that. Seems quite large though, like the 1.1-8 CQBSS.
                Oh well to bad its about the same size I think but half the cost. I'm excited it will have the H58 in it.

Comment

• usmc1371
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2011

i have steiner binos. i have been keeping an eye out for there scopes...waiting for the price to come down....

Comment

Did you looked at the March 5-40X40mm FFP?

Comment

I didn't make it by March's booth. I would check with Liberty Optics reviews for new glass, as well as Sniper's Hide. I didn't even know March was there. I poured over the exhibitor info index when making my floor plan routes. There's no way to see everything, even if you ran...simply too much, and a lot of rubber-necking. You have to be very disciplined to not stop and check out everything you're interested in, which is extremely difficult.

Comment

This was by far the most impressive long-range optic:

This is a very short x26x56 scope, and has the glass that all others are judged by. uses a CR123 battery. 34mm tube. Nice turrets. Zero-stop.

$4k MSRP

Comment

• bwaites
                          • Mar 2011

Wow!! Very nice. What a wonderful present for your favorite sniper!

Comment

From Steiner:

That 1-4x24 Steiner sticks out the most to me as the most impressive optic I've seen in a while. MSRP is supposed to be something like $1700, unfortunately.

The Steiners seemed like an optic between NightForce and Schmidt & Bender, without being able to see them outdoors. The 1-4x had amazing glass. I really like what Steiner has entered into the rifle optic market to compete strongly with the higher end precision rifle optics like NF, USO, S&B, Premier, & Hensholdt.
                            Last edited by Guest; 01-23-2012, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X