• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flight Medic
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2019

Spotting scope recommendations

My son and I recently made our very first attempt at a long distance shooting range. I was using my .308 on the 300-800 yard lane that had "4 MOA" targets. I did very well on the first 3 targets (300, 400 and 500-yard) making adjustments using the ballistic calculator app. However, when I attempted 600-yards, I stopped doing well. At that range I was only hitting the target once in every 6 or 7 shots. Our biggest problem was, looking through our rifle scopes, we couldn't see where the shots were hitting off-target. The 600-1000 yard targets were on grass (as opposed to dirt), so no dust would scatter to see where your missed shot actually landed...and therefore I had no idea how to correct.

I thought perhaps a spotting scope would help, and I'd like to invest in a quality model, but after spending WAY more than I anticipated on my upcoming Grendel build (mostly the additional $500 in tools that I didn't have) I cut into my available budget. I was originally vacillating between the Vortex Razor HD 27-60X85 and the NightForce TS-80 20-60X80, however I cannot justify an additional $1500 right now (even with my discount, the Vortex is still $1200) so I'm wondering if there are any GOOD spotting scopes in the $500-range that will work well for the scenario above. I wont be doing much low-light shooting, if any, I just need something that will help us to see MISSED shots at 600+ yards.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

What scope are you using?
    How big is the target?
    Do you have a spotter?

Point being, even with a spotting scope you still might not see splash in scrub or deep snow. With scope magnification getting higher and glass quality getting better there are fewer spotting scopes at the range. They tend to be used by guys with iron sights.

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Flight Medic View Post
      My son and I recently made our very first attempt at a long distance shooting range. I was using my .308 on the 300-800 yard lane that had "4 MOA" targets. I did very well on the first 3 targets (300, 400 and 500-yard) making adjustments using the ballistic calculator app. However, when I attempted 600-yards, I stopped doing well. At that range I was only hitting the target once in every 6 or 7 shots. Our biggest problem was, looking through our rifle scopes, we couldn't see where the shots were hitting off-target. The 600-1000 yard targets were on grass (as opposed to dirt), so no dust would scatter to see where your missed shot actually landed...and therefore I had no idea how to correct.

I thought perhaps a spotting scope would help, and I'd like to invest in a quality model, but after spending WAY more than I anticipated on my upcoming Grendel build (mostly the additional $500 in tools that I didn't have) I cut into my available budget. I was originally vacillating between the Vortex Razor HD 27-60X85 and the NightForce TS-80 20-60X80, however I cannot justify an additional $1500 right now (even with my discount, the Vortex is still $1200) so I'm wondering if there are any GOOD spotting scopes in the $500-range that will work well for the scenario above. I wont be doing much low-light shooting, if any, I just need something that will help us to see MISSED shots at 600+ yards.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
      FM:

Nope -- not one that will be as good as the ones you were looking at.

You want to be able to read mirage and spot trace and unfortunately, you won't find a $500.00 scope that will do either even half as well as one of the more expensive scopes.

Most of us who shoot competitively have been there and done that. The resolution of a top end scope will let you see more detail in the environment for wind doping and because of its higher resolving power, see bullet trace easily and more precisely.

As Klem said, you won't see splash in snow or grass no matter the quality of the scope. That isn't how your spotter should be reading your shot. He should be able to pick up bullet trace and follow it into the target. Splash is very deceiving in terms of where the bullet actually went. We look at trace and then splash. A $500.00 optic will not resolve enough and normally its construction is not good enough for you to pick up trace and read it effectively.

That said, with spotting scopes you really do get what you pay for and you will get two to three times better quality with the ones that cost in the $1200 - $2K range and that directly correlates to improvement in your performance. If you can not see clearly in the shooting sports, you are toast.

Think very closely before you spend the money. My advice on spotters is to get one with an angled eyepiece, fixed power at about 27 or 30X. An objective of from 70 to 80 mm. Focus adjustment that is easy to reach and function. And the optic be truthfully water resistant. You don't need fully water proof but it must take some rain and not get water into the optic. You do not need variable power because under 20 is useless and over 30 is difficult to get into focus and the slightest vibration means your image is uselessly blurred. A fixed at 25 to 30 is extremely good. You will thank me for recommending an angled eye piece if you have to use the optic while in the prone or from your position as in High Power. Do not go for the objectives over about 75 or 80 mm. Unless they are heavily coated, they will take in too much light and that will cause problems. 60mm is not big enough, over 80 is too big.

One months flight pay ought to cover it pretty easily. Save until you can buy a top end spotting scope.

LR55

Comment

• BobinNC
        Warrior
        • Oct 2017

For under $500. This one: In addition to good glass, and top end Magnification, don't underestimate the usefulness of a reticle in your spotting scope.

Though I do agree that Reticle equiped spotters in the $1500. range are a better long term value, but if you don't have the money, a $500 one is better than nothing.

Comment

• Bigs28
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2016

Try finding a used one. Ar15.com or Ebay. If it's vortex, used doesn't matter because if it's broke they will replace it.

Comment

• Bustedknuckles
            Unwashed
            • Oct 2019

Someone has a leupold 12-40 hd for sale for $750 on northwestfirearms.com right now.
            I like mine a lot.

Comment

• CJW
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2019

Look at the Kowas.

Comment

Working...
              X