• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FLshooter
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2019

First vs second focal plane scopes

All I have ever owned was SFP scopes.Never felt the need for FFP.A few months back, I was hanging out w/my buddy in the the tactical shop he runs.Anyway,a guy comes in looking to do a trade.He has a like new in box Nikon FX1000 6-24x50 FFP scope .He wanted $400 to put towards a new AR rifle.My buddy wanted nothing to do with it.Unless he can get something real cheap,he said,he prefers cash.
    I own a couple Nikon X1000 4-16x50 SFP scopes that I like.So,I offered the man $300.I ended up getting it for $350.I packed it away for my next build.
    So recently I swapped barrels on a .223 AR and was needing a higher magnification scope.I mounted the Nightforce 4-14x56 I had on my Grendel on it.AndI mounted the Nikon FX1000 6-24x50 on my 24? Grendel.I ended up really liking this scope more than the Nightforce that I previously had on it.
    This is the first FFP scope I ever owned.I like it.Not saying I will replace all my SFP scopes with FFP.I won?t.But the advantage to a FFP is if you do a lot of holdover.
  • lazyengineer
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2019

I will say, you got a Heck of a good deal!

On the concept of FFP vs SFP; I have mixed emotions. While in concept it sounds like a slam-dunk to go FFP; in my renditions I find that at the low power settings the scope basically doesn't work. The reticle gets so small and so hard to see, particularly in poor lighting, as to be unusable. Once you get up to about half magnification and up to full, it works great, and the concept is awesome. My only wish is that for scopes that are FFP, the would include some sort of Donut of Death reticle design overlay, such that the large circle around the middle area remains a usable aiming tool at the lower power magnification. This seems obvious, but few providers do this.

FWIW, my FFP models are the
    -Primary Arms 3-18X with their 6.5Creedmoor Apollo reticle; and the
    -Burris XTR II 5-25X.

On most of my other kit, I just run fixed low power optics, be it 2X up to 4X style.
    4x P100

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Tryed a few ffp scopes and hated every single one if them.

Can't stand the reticle getting bigger when I increase magnification. And high magnification at close range in low light while hunting just don't work.

I also don't need the reticle to range a target, I can do that quick enough with sfp scopes and my rangfinder.

Now I'm sure for some they are great. But for my hunting and target shooting. Sfp is world's better then ffp.

Comment

• FLshooter
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2019

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
        Tryed a few ffp scopes and hated every single one if them.

Can't stand the reticle getting bigger when I increase magnification. And high magnification at close range in low light while hunting just don't work.

I also don't need the reticle to range a target, I can do that quick enough with sfp scopes and my rangfinder.

Now I'm sure for some they are great. But for my hunting and target shooting. Sfp is world's better then ffp.
        I wouldn’t buy a FFP if I were buying new because I don’t do holdover much.I keep a dope sheet and dial it in.And like you,I am accustomed to SFP scopes.But,I can see the advantage for someone who does do holdover.I do like the clarity and the magnification.The crosshairs aren’t too thick and reticle does not bother me.I will use it for a while.It certainly does not hurt the accuracy of my 6.5 Grendel Bartlein barrel.In fact,going from 16-24 magnification helps at 600 yrds.

Comment

• Bigs28
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2016

Both scopes have a place. I like them both for their intended purposes and have them both.

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Both types have advantages and disadvantages. I use FFP for judging distances and object sizes. It helps if the reticle and dials speak the same language, and use the decimal system (intuitive) - So Mils/Mils.

Comment

• centerfire
              Warrior
              • Dec 2017

Originally posted by lazyengineer View Post
              I will say, you got a Heck of a good deal!
              Ummmmm...

Comment

• centerfire
                Warrior
                • Dec 2017

Spotter: Hold four tenths right and fire the same solution.
                Shooter: (takes off shoes) Let me see, I'm on ten power so that's two times the call and carry the three!
                Spotter: Is this guy retarded?

Comment

• Flight Medic
                  Bloodstained
                  • Sep 2019

Originally posted by centerfire View Post

Your link is for a lower powered scope. THIS is the one the guy was selling...

so a good deal was made, me thinks.

Comment

• FLshooter
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Flight Medic View Post
                    Your link is for a lower powered scope. THIS is the one the guy was selling...

so a good deal was made, me thinks.
                    Yes,that would be da one!
                    I temporarily have it on my 6.5 Grendel build It will eventually go on my new AR308 build when it’s ready.It’s a great scope for shooting 600 yrds.What I like about is that I can tell how far the bullet holes are from my mark,so I can dial in accordingly.

Comment

• Clove8
                      Bloodstained
                      • Nov 2019

That was one of the best scopes Nikon made. If all of their scopes would have been half as reliable as they were then they possibly would not be closing the doors on their scope division at the end of this year.

Comment

• centerfire
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Clove8 View Post
                        That was one of the best scopes Nikon made. If all of their scopes would have been half as reliable as they were then they possibly would not be closing the doors on their scope division at the end of this year.
                        They're a good value for $350, not so much at full retail.

Comment

• FLshooter
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2019

Originally posted by centerfire View Post
                          They're a good value for $350, not so much at full retail.
                          I agree.I would not have bought it for the full price.My thinking was that if it does not work out,I can at least sell it for what I paid.
                          Anyway,it’s a good scope.I would compare it to the Vortex Viper hd 6-24x50 scope.

Comment

Working...
                          X