Sanity Check: 20MOA Cant Mount with Sig Sierra3BDX (40H/40V MOA adj)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MegaHurtz
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2019

Originally posted by okstatefan View Post
    As a user of the BDX system, I'll give my accounts...
    After spending some time behind the scope pushing pills down the tube, I can not agree more. It is a hunting scope that shines brightly for what it is intended for, which isn't LR shooting...
    si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

• MegaHurtz
      Bloodstained
      • Oct 2019

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
      Looks like your best bet will be to use the SiG LRF with a dedicated target scope if you want to focus on LR shooting.

For optics, I would look at something from Vortex or NF with matching turrets/reticle with magnification and Field of View that is pleasant for you.

I'm on a trend of preferring more Field of View lately with as clear glass as I can get, even if the magnification is lower, but I'm mostly shooting 12"-20" steel targets, depending on the range. Anything within 400yds can be smaller than that, and anything beyond 800yds tends to be larger.
      Thank you for the recommendations. I am in the process of saving ~$2K to throw at some good glass.

One candidate that I have my eye on is the Leupold Competition VX-6 7-42x56mm that is currently listing for around 21 c notes. I'm interested in a MOA turret & reticle systems.

I like the concept of using the higher magnification to be able to help with mirage determination to aid in assessing winds out yonder.

EDIT: Additional considerations I've been gnawing on:
      - Ample elevation travel (i.e. more than 40 MOA... lol)
      - A reticle that is appropriate for LR/ELR employment
      - I'm leaning towards SFP, but am not dead set against a FFP setup, just need to learn to use same
      - Reticle illumination is a nice to have, not a got to have, I perceive (admitted ignorance persists, however)
      - I like the idea of 1/8th MOA clicks, just to be able to tune POI a bit finer when reaching out to touch sumtin far away
      - For multi-turn turrets, an indicator to let me know if I am on the original or extended rotation(s)
      - Plenty loud and mechanically crisp detents when twisting the turrets
      - Turrets Caps? Meh, no real preference at this time
      - Mechanical zero-stop turrets are desired
      - Side Focus/Parallax Adjustment is a must - spinning the objective bell housing is not an option
      - I'm a fan of Burris XTR Signature rings - as such, 1"/30mm/34mm tubes are fine
      - A sunshield tube is a consideration, especially if their importance becomes greater with LR/ELR endeavors
      - US based OEM is desired. S&B and other EU (DE) OEMs are OK, but carry a fiscal burden that may be out of my FOV

Based on what has caught my eye (i.e. the Leupold VX-6), and my anticipated budget, which models of the Vortex or NF optics would you suggest I look into? TIA

-MHz
      Last edited by MegaHurtz; 02-02-2020, 10:22 PM.
      si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

The Leupold VX-6 is really meant for F-Class high magnification applications on bolt guns. It isn't something I would consider putting an an AR, and I'm not aware of any people that would do that.

As to your list, I wouldn't worry too much about illumination unless you're in a hunting setting at low light hours before sunrise and around dusk.

For precision long range, I just never/rarely use the illumination in my scopes, but they all seem to come with it. I think I turned on my illumination to the lowest setting once several years ago after the sun had gone down to shoot a 12" popper I put out on a camping trip.

If you are going to be dialing for range, then you definitely don't want 1/8 MOA clicks in my experience. It gets really old trying to blast through all those clicks when you make TGT changes. They are great for Bench Rest with only one distance being shot that day, not multiple TGT transitions across a course.

I personally like FFP over SFP, while others like SFP. As long as you're not using the reticle for hold overs (I almost always use the reticle for windage holds, since they change frequently within seconds), SFP is doable but inferior in my experience.

With FFP, I can zoom out to acquire a TGT using the wider FOV. If I have to take a shot on a mover or make it quickly for some reason, I don't need to do quick math in my head to try to determine what my increments are with the magnification off of the factory set, which is usually the maximum (rarely used) magnification of the scope, and coincidently the hardest setting to acquire TGTs with due to the limited FOV.

I'm a big fan of mechanical zero-stop turrets and won't ever buy a LR scope that has TGT turrets without them. If it's a capped turret scope with stadia BDC or Horus-type reticle, then no problem. Set the zero and forget.

For NightForce, I can recommend the ATACR without hesitation. Pick what magnification range you want and either an MOA or Mil reticle and you've solved your optics solution.

For Vortex, the Razor HD and Razor HD Gen II are great. The Gen II HD 3-18x50 FFP checks all of your boxes I think, to include the revolution indicator, while adding locking turrets.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• MegaHurtz
          Bloodstained
          • Oct 2019

Thanks for the time and input. It is very much appreciated.

-MHz
          si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

• 65tac
            Unwashed
            • Feb 2020

In my opinion, shoot your rifle and learn your rifles abilities via your shooting ability. Kind of taunting the USMC creed "this is my rifle........" at any rate with a budget scope (basically all scopes under 2k for the most part) are not gonna give you the MOA desired for true long range shooting without adding a lot of gizmos and gadgetry to your weapon. Find a better scope like from schmidt and bender for example.... expensive, however, high quality reticle design lots of elevation MOAs and windage. As said before, you still really need to hone your shooting to the rifle and the intended ammo round desired. Practice makes perfect. The 308 is an example that peters out around 600 yards with basic instruments and factory loads. With the extra expense of high quality optics and HOT hand loads that wont foul your chamber and bbl prematurely, I was shooting out to 1200 yards with my 308. I say was because I gave my 308 retirement and adopted the 6.5 creedmoor in its place. I shoot the grendel for inside of 300 yards for reduced recoil and ethical kill shots but I would not hesitate a shot out to but no more than a 1k on coyotes. Good luck, I am sure by now you got your stuff together

Comment

Working...
            X