• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FLshooter
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2019

Ruger 30 cal Hybrid muzzle bre

I have a 6.5 Grendel build I put together a while back.Has a 22 inch Criterion Hbar barrel.It is a great shooter but,it has a little recoil.So,I have been wanting to install aero precision VG6 on it.Just had not gotten around to it.
    Today,I helped my buddy swap out his shot out RPR 6.5 Creedmoor Barrel with a Heavy Bartlein barrel he just got from Paul Craddock(By the way,those RPR barrel nuts are a beast to loosen,this was my 3rd).
    Anyway,he felt he did not need the Hybrid muzzle break on the new barrel(it is almost an inch at the muzzle!).So,I gave him a SS muzzle protector and he gave me the Hybrid muzzle break.After all,he would have never have been able to swap that barrel himself.LOL! I have acquired a lot of parts by helping out buddies.
    After looking it over,I realized it was a 30 cal break.I really wanted the Aero precision Gamma 6.5,because I have heard so many good things about it from 6.5 Grendel owners.But,I figured,I had this in my hands and have nothing to lose.I reluctantly put it on my 6.5 Grendel Criterion 22 inch hbar.Took about 20 seconds,because it comes w/jam nut.
    I took it to the range this afternoon and it is an improvement.Accuracy is about the same.But,with the recoil of a 22lr.I was really surprised.I own 3 of the first gen RPR.Those factory barrels came w/no muzzle device.I figured the Ruger 30 cal hybrid muzzle break would be bobo.But it actually did a good job.I will probably leave it on for a while.
    Last edited by FLshooter; 11-30-2019, 11:19 PM. Reason: Spelling/wording
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Congrats.

Yea most any 30 cal brake does a good job of cutting down felt recoil and muzzle movement. The 6.5mm specific brakes from what I have seen posted online from testing is they typically do about 3 to 5 percent better then a 30 cal brake.

But hey 3 to 5 percent is 3 to 5 percent more chance of seeing vapor trails and bullet impact on target.

Comment

• FLshooter
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2019

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
      Congrats.

Yea most any 30 cal brake does a good job of cutting down felt recoil and muzzle movement. The 6.5mm specific brakes from what I have seen posted online from testing is they typically do about 3 to 5 percent better then a 30 cal brake.

But hey 3 to 5 percent is 3 to 5 percent more chance of seeing vapor trails and bullet impact on target.
      Sounds like the difference is negligible.Not enough gain to buy another break right now.But,I am building an AR 308(my first)with a bull barrel from Mark @ PF.And if I feel it needs a break,I would put the 30 cal muzzle break on it.Then, I’d get a Gamma 6.5 for the Grendel.

Comment

Working...
      X