Gun Lighting; Laser Excited Phosphor (LEP).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Gun Lighting; Laser Excited Phosphor (LEP).

For those interested...

Here is new technology laser excited phosphor (LEP) lighting adapted to shooting. LEP permits narrow, concentrated beams of light in a light-weight/compact size. This is something conventional LED's and hand-help spotlights struggle to do because either their beam is too wide or they are too bulky to weapon-mount. For long range searching and shooting it works. It's a blue laser fired through a layer of phosphor that turns it into white light.

It's expensive, and so far hasn't recoiled itself into pieces - fingers crossed. You need a square mount that co-witnesses the light to the scope axis. The beam is 3 degrees. I am using a 1" Leupold scope ring on top of the scope. No reason why it can't work with a handguard.

It is rated eye-safe but at close range you can't look into it. Reflection off gunsmoke is also fierce but it clears as quickly as the smoke. On firing the scope instantly white's-out but is clear again a couple of seconds later. Straight ON/OFF, no intermediate modes. You can see bullet holes in paper at 100 for night practise.

This range only goes to 400M so I'm not sure how much further it can be used. For catching the reflection off animal eyes in the distance it works fine.

Also uses latest flashlight battery technology. The single Li-ion is a 21700 which in a 1" tube is the largest battery for the available diameter (longer run times). Recharging is directly into the torch via a USB-C cable. There's a ring-cover with O-rings that unscrews to reveal the charging port. Screw back up to make it waterproof.

There are only a couple of flashlight types using LEP on the market ATM. The one I am, using is by Acebeam: the W10 Gen II. Weltool is the other brand retailing an LEP.
    Utilizing a laser excitation phosphor, Acebeam W10 Gen II is the ultra-throw LEP flashlight reaching 1217 meters.

(Disclosure: I am not a spokesperson/influencer for these guys. No money or freebies involved).
    Last edited by Klem; 01-08-2020, 02:22 PM.
  • Lemonaid
    Warrior
    • Feb 2019

Interesting product, thanks for the heads up!
    For some reason they don't trust the average person to own one.

"6: W10 II is purchased by only for professional users of the military and police. (It is not a civilian industry product.)"

Comment

• CJW
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2019

Cutting edge stuff Klem, interesting

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Thanks for posting, interesting design!

Comment

• Growler
          Warrior
          • Jan 2019

Interesting. I’d rather see a value improvement on the thermal or night vision side than brighter lights. That gear is just plain expensive.

<rant mode ON>
          At the risk of thread drift, I will say I’m not enthused about this tech in automotive headlights. I know, I know...it’s already out there.

Just like auto high beams (a truly horrible idea), this will just lead to more clueless Mr Magoo drivers running around with high beams on, blinding everyone on the road.
          <rant mode OFF>

I still want one
          Last edited by Growler; 12-28-2019, 04:46 PM. Reason: correct ? to ‘

Comment

• FRB6.5
            Warrior
            • Oct 2018

Neat stuff Klem. How hot does it get in use? Also does the run time match the claimed 3.5 hours?

Comment

Working...
            X