• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DL42
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2017

Dumb question about hold overs with SFP reticle

I recently picked up a Bushnell forge 4.5-27x50 SFP scope, and I love it so far. My only gripe is that if you want to use the reticle for holdovers or ranging, it has to be done on 20x magnification, which is outrageously high for most shooting situations. My question is this: With a SFP scope and a typical tactical reticle, can you range at other magnification levels and compensate with multiplication/division?
    Example: If the hash marks are every 2 moa on 20x, would they be spread out 4 moa at 10x, and 8 moa at 5x?
  • kpswihart
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

Regarding holdovers, the Strelok Pro ap will let you enter specific ballistic info, as well as select your reticle. When you plug in your target info, push the calculate button and then the reticle button. The reticle window will show a point of aim on your reticle and will adjust accordingly as you adjust magnification on the ap. Make sure the magnification on the ap and your scope match, then fire away. Won't be precise, but it may be able to get you close enough to make fine adjustments on your own.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Agreed use sterlok too make up a dope card at the magnification you like for shooting plate out too whatever yardage you like.

Example. My CZ has a 4.5 x27 on it but I shoot plates out too 600 yards with the scope on 8 power. Once I had my data I imputed it into sterlok got my dope. 8 power gives more then enough power to see the plates and low enough power that I can stay on target through the shot and watch my vapor trail going down range.

I don't use any reticle for ranging, the ranges I shoot at are marked and when hunting I carry a range finder and sterlok app on my phone.

Comment

• ricsmall
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

You can adjust for different magnification, however, I would use a grid target with 1moa grid at different magnification to verify accuracy of magnification ring/reticle.
        Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• daved20319
          Warrior
          • May 2019

To answer your question, yes, your numbers should be about right, and agrees with what the cheat sheet for my Sightron says. May not be exact, but it should be really close. Good luck.

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
            You can adjust for different magnification, however, I would use a grid target with 1moa grid at different magnification to verify accuracy of magnification ring/reticle.
            Yes, the SFP reticles are proportionate at other magnifications. So if calibrated for 20x, then each 1 MOA at 20x would be=2 moa at 10x. Strelok (even the free version) has the reticles re-calibrated for you at any magnification but you can also do it by the math...
            Like Ric says however, that is the ideal situation so do some verifications on a 1" grid target to ensure your reticle hashmarks, MOA clicks, and elevation/windage clicks are all calibrated ok.

Some reticles like the "bdc" style have MOA mutiples like 1.5, 4.5, 7 etc which makes it difficult to use at the non-calibrated magnif's -- which is one reason I ditched my Nikon BDC's for straight-MOA hashmark style reticles.
            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

Working...
            X