What Vise Rest Do You Use for Scope Mounting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hansel&Grendel
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2017

What Vise Rest Do You Use for Scope Mounting?

Recommendations please. Looking for a workshop rifle vise rest or other apparatus to provide a stable platform to hold level while mounting scopes, from SBRs to 16" + barrel lengths. What I've been using requires a lot of finicky adjustments and isn't as stable as I want for holding level. Portability in the great outdoors would be nice but not necessarily a necessity. Reviews of the top contenders seem to be all over the place.

Thanks, Hans
  • mdram
    Warrior
    • Sep 2016

if its an ar i just put the bev block in a vise, and then the gun on the bev block, and work from there
    just some targets for printing
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Hansel&Grendel View Post
      Recommendations please. Looking for a workshop rifle vise rest or other apparatus to provide a stable platform to hold level while mounting scopes, from SBRs to 16" + barrel lengths. What I've been using requires a lot of finicky adjustments and isn't as stable as I want for holding level. Portability in the great outdoors would be nice but not necessarily a necessity. Reviews of the top contenders seem to be all over the place.

Thanks, Hans
      Think mine is the Tipton best gunvise? Can't really remember really. I use it mostly for the bolt action now.

Comment

• Lastrites
        Warrior
        • Apr 2017

I have a Sight-Vise by Lohman that has the double Vee padded clamps, believe Kolpin also made the same thing. I've had it for well over 20 years, works well enough for me as it's easy to level an upper or bolt gun in it to make those finer adjustments and it was inexpensive to boot.

Comment

• mtnlvr
          Warrior
          • Feb 2019

I just use the bipod and shim the grip. Adjust close to level for and aft, find adjust roll by extending a leg of the bipod, fine tune pitch again, verify and mount lightly. Shoulder and adjust as necessary. For a precision rifle, you may want to do some boxes and such at the range. Other use a plumb Bob to align the reticle to.

Comment

• FLshooter
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2019

Tipton best

Comment

• CJW
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2019

I put my upper in a vice with soft jaws.......works like a champ

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

^^^^^^^^^

I use barrel clamps in a vise and a bubble on the top of the rail. Depending on how much barrel is clear from the handguard forward to the muzzle device (if you use one) you might have to take one, or both off. Or make a shorter clamp out of wood.

Comment

• CJW
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2019

Klem,
                  That’s how I do my bolt guns.

Chuck

Comment

• Wethepeople
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2020

I use the bev block in a bench vice also.

Comment

• snarkscarbine
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jan 2019

I just use a bipod, then level the scope to the rifle with a set of feeler gauges. Playing cards also work.

I'm aware of the NPOA school of thought that levels the scope to the shooter instead, but that tends to break down if you change positions in my opinion.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                        Chieftain
                        • Oct 2016

Originally posted by snarkscarbine View Post
                        I just use a bipod, then level the scope to the rifle with a set of feeler gauges. Playing cards also work.

I'm aware of the NPOA school of thought that levels the scope to the shooter instead, but that tends to break down if you change positions in my opinion.
                        You and I are similar. I use a Arisaka scope body leveling set, and just set the scope body to the rail. If I want more than that (my long range bolt) I take it to the range, and use the radio tower in the distance with a level on the scope body. That way, I KNOW the reticle is perfect, and the level makes quick reference for my 800+ yard shots. Inside that, I find that I have no issues holding minute of steel.
                        Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

Working...
                        X