• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WSAR15
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2017

Scope Ring Height?

Hello
    I just had a Ruger 6.5G American Predator bedded in a Boyds AT-One nutmeg stock (with thumbhole).
    Do you have suggestion for scope ring height (for Nikon M-Tactical 3-12x42SF Matte MK1-MOA).
    Thanks
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

This ruger has a pic rail on it, right? if so then any quality low-ht scope ring will do for you, it will place the scope sightline about 1.5-1.7" above the bore. The rail will give you some ht so you don't need med or hi-set rings.

Vortex has some good rings, I just broke part of a UTG ring (the adjustable clamp portion) so won't be getting any more of those. Also ps, try to use rings that have the torx screws for them, not the hex. hex screws (after loctite) can strip on you -- costing you an extra $85 for a gs to remove... don't ask me how I know!!

you will want to loctite blue the rail (clean any oil off from under the rail base first), and the scope rings (not the ring clamp screws), observe the 16-18 inch-lb torque for the rings. Don't want that scope mount/scope to twitch around during the shot.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• FLshooter
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2019

I am thinking a Nikon M tactical has a 30mm tube? So,Vortex low tactical rings will work.Or the low 30mm Vortex pro series rings,f you want to spend a little more.

Comment

• WSAR15
        Bloodstained
        • Jul 2017

Thanks GrayFox. Yes it has rail.
        FLShooter: yes the Nikon M-Tactical 3-12x42SF Matte MK1-MOA have 30mm tubes. I paid $250.00 on Amazon.

Leupold has some nice permanent mount rings (with Torx) - I also saw this - What about QR such as LEUPOLD - QRW2 30MM QUICK RELEASE SCOPE RINGS - any good or too much play??
        Last edited by WSAR15; 03-09-2020, 01:14 AM.

Comment

• kmon
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2015

Burris is another scope mount brand I have never had trouble with, I agree with Grey Fox that low rings should work fine, usually go medium rings for 50mm objective scopes.

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

I've got a couple of 30mm scopes on my Predators... all with the low rings. One benefit of the recent predators, is they have a stock picatinny ring on them, earlier ones had a rail quasi-pic, but had the ruger logo in the middle which messed up some of the spacing of the slots. But the new ones, straight pic'y.
            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• WSAR15
              Bloodstained
              • Jul 2017

I bought a couple Leupold PRW2 30mm.
              Thanks foe your help.

Comment

Working...
              X