Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nightforce Reticle Options and Clarification

Gentlemen,

I am completely new to the long range shooting forum and have just purchased my first Grendel. It will be here in 8-10 weeks and I am trying to get some research done to make sure I get the right scope/reticle combination. I am leaning heavily towards the Nightforce NXS 3.5-15 x 50F1 which is the first focal plane and I was considering the LV.5 reticle (see link below). My question is does this reticle allow me to make elevation and windage adjustments OR turret adjustments? It seems odd to me that some of these reticles that have the windage and elevation on them would also have the turret adjustments. Forgive me here but I am completely new to this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

CK

Also of note, this rifle will be used primarily for hunting coyotes and hogs but I want to have the capability to shoot out to 600 yards or so just for fun.

Comment

• Drifter
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

The NF F1 is an excellent scope, but I'm not overly fond of the ballistic-type reticles from any manufacturer. They just don't seem as versatile as modern mil-based reticles. You can run the numbers on on-line calculators and think you have the perfect match, but it doesn't always pan out that way. For instance, your altitude might be different than what the calculator is based upon, or your barrel doesn't like the load that you planned for, or you decide to try a different load in the future.

I have a NF 2.5-10x32 with Velocity reticle, and also a NF F1 with MLR2.0 reticle. After using both, I much prefer the MLR2.0, along with 0.1-mil clicks.

I think NF is still showing the MLR2 reticle on their website, though all evidence suggests that it has been phased out in favor of MLR2.0 for the F1.

Here's a small image:

Reference this thread to get an idea of how a mil-based reticle and turrets can be used effectively in the field:

I have a trijicon mil dot 2.5-10 Power scope and am wondering about hold over from a 100 yard zero. I know mil dots can be used for a range finding apparatus at 10 power on this optic but am wondering if anybody has any input for a consistant hold over without doping my scope seeing it doesn't have external turrets, although it

If you go with a ballistic (Velocity) reticle, make sure ahead of time that your rifle shoots your chosen load well, what your muzzle velocity is, and accept that changing ammo will change how closely the reticle matches your trajectory.

With such a quality, versatile, and expen$ive optic, it doesn't seem appropriate to purposely put limitations on its capabilities.
      Drifter

Comment

If you're shooting at distance with the Grendel, i.e. past 600yds, we can assume it isn't in a hunting role, since there isn't much energy to expand at that point, let alone anything past 400yds. That leaves us with connecting with steel usually, and I prefer to dial my turrets where I have a consistent focal point in the reticle, not some fleeting intersection along the Christmas tree. I have used both, and I always go back to dialing after trying those ballistic stadia reticles if the tube has target turrets.

NF has some of the best turrets that return to zero, and hold true through all kinds of abuse, so a 3.5-15x50 FFP NF scope is a great choice for the Grendel that you intend to push the limits with, like on a 20"-24" barrel stick. I like the MLR type reticles as well.

Comment

Working...
        X