• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Delta3Two
    Unwashed
    • May 2020

Duramag (CPD) 6.5 Grendel Magazines

I have been a long-time lurker @ 65g.com. This is my very, first posting. Thought I'd share a positive experience.

I started shooting ARmalite platform Grendels about 2 years ago. Purchased a Palmetto State Armory, 6.5G with 12" barrel. Had to decide which magazines to purchase/use.

My initial mag purchases were basically a waste of money. Until I found the DURAMAG/CPD magazines. The AR15 type 6.5G magazines I initially found were based on the 5.56x45 cartridge taper. Each brand had feed issues, capacity issues (less capacity than advertised) and durability issues. At the time I considered DURAMAG/CPD mags for my Grendel. However, the Duramag Grendel mags were not to be found.

After my frustration with the marketed 5.56mm mags rebranded as 6.5 Grendel magazines, I kept gravitating toward using the advertised, yet unavailable Duramag Kalashnikov 47-style mags. Belatedly I researched the development of the 6.5mm Grendel round. I discovered to my surprise the 6.5G was developed from the 7.62 Soviet/.220 Russian cartridges. In turn, the 6.5 Grendel had the same cartridge taper as the 7.62 Soviet round ! No wonder they were far from reliable in magazines developed from a 5.56x45 cartridge taper.

In desperation, I decided to try the available Duramag 6.8 SPC 20 round magazine, having the well-known curvature of the 7.62x39 cartridge. "Why not ?" I thought. Has to work better than rebranded 5.56 mags.

Upon receiving my two 20 rd, 6.8 SPC mags, I opened one up. Tore open a box of Wolf 100gr, 6.5G. Then proceeded to see how well they would fit in the 6.8 SPC magazines. All 20 rounds filled the 6.8 SPC 20 round magazine. No magazine bulging. No having to force feed the Grendel rounds into the 6.8 SPC mag. No bent feed lips. Nothing except a perfect fit of all 20 rounds in the mag. So far. So good. Now, to get to the range.

A few days later I was able to get to a range and test the Duramag 6.8 SPC mags loaded with 20 rounds of 6.5 Grendel ammunition. Upon sending rounds downrange the 6.8 SPC mags worked perfectly. Before I ended my range session I
    used both magazines to fire 100 rounds each. The magazines fit the magwell without issue. I had not a single feed issue. After firing the last round the bolt locked back. What a great range trip ! I now had dependable magazines for my Grendel.

Since then Duramag has made their 26-round Grendel magazines readily available. I bought 1/2 dozen of the 26-rounders. All work fine. Also, added three more of the 20 round, Duramag 6.8 SPC magazines to my stock.

For those wanting a dependable, metal magazine for your Grendel I cannot recommend the DURAMAG/CPD mags enough. Their 26-round Grendel marked magazines work perfectly. For those wanting a shorter, 20-round magazine their 6.8 SPC branded magazine also works perfectly with Grendel ammunition. BTW....DURAMAG/CPD announced on their Facebook page that they will have 20-round Grendel magazines this summer, 2020.

There you have it shooters. My experience with 6.5 Grendel using Duramag magazines.

FWIW.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Thanks for the report sir.

Comment

• Wanderson
      Warrior
      • Oct 2018

Comment

• Bronz
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2018

I use my ASC mags as 20 rd. The CPD/Dura mags are great. Mine say 28 rd on the package.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Bronz View Post
          I use my ASC mags as 20 rd. The CPD/Dura mags are great. Mine say 28 rd on the package.
          So did all of mine but they wouldn't hold more then 27 and most times wouldn't feed properly with more then 26 rounds.

These are the grendel CPD mags, at 26 rounds they work perfectly, best of the metal grendel mags I have used.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
            Warrior
            • Apr 2013

A couple recent reports on the issue:

< https://www.thegunzone.com/65-grendel-magazines/
            >
            < http://www.gunpros.com/best-65-grendel-magazines/ >

Comment

• StoneHendge
              Chieftain
              • May 2016

Does anyone have the dimensions of the 20s? I'm most interested in how far it protrudes , ie measurement from the rear of the magwell to the rear heel of the mag (if anyone is bored!), and if they get in the way while on a bipod.
              Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

I received two new CPD/Duramag twenty round 6.5 Grendel magazines today. The fit and finish look very good. I like the matte finish and the magazines loaded easily. Both magazines held twenty Wolf steel case 100 grain FMJ ammo. The magazines fit and ejected from a couple of my lowers without issue. Here are the two magazines
                Last edited by VASCAR2; 09-07-2020, 02:35 AM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Just for comparison in case anyone is curious about the E-Lander twenty four round mags which are essentially the same overall size as the ASC twenty five round 6.5 Grendel mags.

Here is a picture of a twenty four round E-Lander 6.5 Grendel mag next to a 30 round 5.56/223 NHMTG magazine.

The twenty four round E-Lander 6.5 Grendel mag is essentially the same size as the mil spec 30 round 5.56/223 aluminum mag but the E-L mag is heavier. This picture shows the base of aligned E-L mag next to the NHMTG 30 round mag.

Comment

• Old Bob
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2019

6.5 Grendel Mags: The top mag is a Duramag 26 rounder. The lower mag is a Stoner (ASC) 25 rounder. I have two of these 26 round Duramag magazines. This particular Duramag will easily hold 27 rounds but the other one I have holds 26... can't squeeze in number 27.

GrendelHiCapMags.JPG
                    Last edited by Old Bob; 09-07-2020, 10:47 AM.
                    I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                      Chieftain
                      • May 2016

Thanks VASCAR! So it's pretty much flush or maybe slightly less with the bottom of the pistol grip like here? (With the curve, of course)

IMG_20200907_112859-648x486.jpg
                      Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• VASCAR2
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Here is the same Monster barrel upper with a CPD/D mag in the well.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 09-08-2020, 12:43 AM.

Comment

• JASmith
                          Chieftain
                          • Sep 2014

The DuraMag (and the Grendel) just got a nice review in Shooting Illustrated: https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...endel-magazine
                          shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                          -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                            The DuraMag (and the Grendel) just got a nice review in Shooting Illustrated: https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...endel-magazine
                            Dont get me wrong duramags are great grendel mags. In fact I personally feel they are the cream if the crop for metal grendel mags.

But this us the second article I have seen where they propaganda that stupid idea of leavt over ammo or throwing away away by accident leavt in a box.

Are people really that stupid and lazy?

Comment

• VASCAR2
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Comment

Working...
                              X