• CMoor
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2020

I have some illuminated scopes but, I have never turned one on... lol

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

If you shoot at night or twilight, especially if your target is dark they are big help. During daylight, no help at all.

Comment

• Croak
        Bloodstained
        • Jun 2020

For LVPO use at short range, I consider a lighted reticle a must-have, day or night.

Comment

• Sinclair
          Warrior
          • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Croak View Post
          For LVPO use at short range, I consider a lighted reticle a must-have, day or night.
          Call me an ignorant, country bumpkin, but what is "LVPO"?

Tgself1, many years ago I had a Tasco 4 x 32 that I used to hunt coyotes at night. In the dark, the crosshairs turned a copper color, easy to shoot with when calling coyotes in close ( 30yds or so). I would assume that an illuminated crosshair would be just as beneficial. Just my WAEG.
          Last edited by Sinclair; 07-04-2020, 06:54 AM.
          "A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
          Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
          Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.

Comment

• Croak
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2020

Originally posted by Sinclair View Post
            Call me an ignorant, country bumpkin, but what is "LVPO"?
            A typo. LPVO.

Low Power Variable Optic.

Comment

• cosh
              Unwashed
              • Sep 2014

I have astigmatism that is worse at night. I found an illuminated dot worked better than the entire illuminated crosshairs. I lose the target unless the dot is at a low setting. I dont have a scope with a "dot only" but a Burris FF III. Young eyes probably wont have that issue though.

Now - looking for a "dot only" illumninated scope for my Grendel. :-)

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

All my sights have illumination. Only time I use them is when I'm running my shorty with the red dot are at night when I'm hog hunting and turn the dot on in my viper pst gen 2.

I keep both on as low a setting as possible.

Comment

• kmon
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2015

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                  All my sights have illumination. Only time I use them is when I'm running my shorty with the red dot are at night when I'm hog hunting and turn the dot on in my viper pst gen 2.

I keep both on as low a setting as possible.
                  Agree on that lowest setting possible. I have seen several scopes that d not turn down enough for my liking when it is dark. Too much light in the scope makes it hard for me to see the animal. Part of that could deal with my eye issues but not all of it.

Comment

• FLshooter
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2019

Comment

• jmkhenka
                      Bloodstained
                      • Mar 2020

Illuminated sights are really usefull if you do driven hunts or need to take fast shots at closer ranges. FFP sights are nearly useless when hunting, the crosshair is to small and black on black/brown is hard to see.

I have a zeiss v6 2-12 with illumination and use it when im hunting moose, but for situations where I only take planned shots on well lit targets the dot is not helpfull. But in forrest its not a bad thing. It draws the eye and make a fast shot easier to make properly.

Shot a roe with 6-24 vortex tactical FFP. It was a bad shot, the reticle is almost invisible on low magnification.. never again. 2-4X works great up to 100 meters unless you are hunting rabit sized animals.

Comment

• FLshooter
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2019

Comment

• R2BRO
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2017

FLshooter, just curious, why you prefer 2nd plane? isnt FFP literally better cuz corrections hold at all magnification levels?

Comment

• danm
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2014

I have both, and I prefer..... both

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                              Chieftain
                              • Oct 2016

Illumination is a feel good feature. It's absolutely un-NECESSARY. But, when you want it because it would be handy, it's awful nice to know it's there.

What did we do before 10 years ago when illuminated reticles became market-available? It must have been hard, because I don't buy non-illuminated reticles. I won't even look at them anymore.

Correction: once you've had light, you'll know what's right.

If you're going to be hunting into the 30minutes before/after sunset windows - that's the regs here in KS - then they are almost a must have. Especially good ones, that have settings for night vision or low light specific settings. Too much light is a bad thing. Not fun to lose your target to the blinding light in the reticle. The one's I've got are low light friendly, they are visible during almost no light, but can't be seen at all during the day.
                              Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

Working...
                              X