Clear All
  • FLshooter
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2019

QD vs Direct mount suppressor

• Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

I have found that as soon as direct thread starts to heat up it wants to come loose. The suppressor gets hot and expands and so you are having to check tight every few rounds to stop it unscrewing on you. I use a cloth or hat as an oven mit. Doesn't matter how tight you put it on initially it seems to eventually come loose. That is a disadvantage, but it can end up lighter and cheaper with no brake and clamping frills.

Comment

• mel
      Chieftain
      • Nov 2019

Originally posted by Klem View Post
      I have found that as soon as direct thread starts to heat up it wants to come loose. The suppressor gets hot and expands and so you are having to check tight every few rounds to stop it unscrewing on you. I use a cloth or hat as an oven mit. Doesn't matter how tight you put it on initially it seems to eventually come loose. That is a disadvantage, but it can end up lighter and cheaper with no brake and clamping frills.
      i found a crush washer fixes this issue used to drive me nuts on mine.A wave spring washer supposedly also fixes it. that being said i stll perodicaly check mine , though since using the crush washer i havent had an issue

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by mel View Post
        since using the crush washer i havent had an issue
        Do you leave it on in storage?

Comment

• FLshooter
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2019

Comment

• mel
            Chieftain
            • Nov 2019

Do you leave it on in storage?
            i do

Comment

• mel
              Chieftain
              • Nov 2019

my buddies can uses a spanner wrench on the barrel side he uses it to tighten it on the barrel with no washers or anything and it never comes loose on his he has to use the wrench when he wants to take it off

Comment

• FLshooter
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2019

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by mel View Post
                  i do
                  Those things are corrosion magnets and the first thing I do is get them off the barrel, ASAP.

Comment

• mel
                    Chieftain
                    • Nov 2019

Those things are corrosion magnets and the first thing I do is get them off the barrel, ASAP.
                    up until this last week ive been using it about every day , i take it off and clean it very often , though this last week or so i havent even had it on the gun ive gone back to my muzzle brake for a bit. ill have to keep that in mind from now on though

Comment

• am4966
                      Chieftain
                      • Jul 2014

Your not supposed to use crush washers on suppressors. There is a chance for baffle strikes. Advise to anyone don't use one to time muzzle device or direct thread for your silencer.

FYI, there are more n more silencer companies offering a universal attChment so you can use one type of mounting device across different mfg. IMO a QD system is great, since you'll have a muzzle device if you don't use your suppressor or if you do simple way to attach it and take off. Like Klem said I've heard DT's coming loose. But some are being made to where if your muzzle is tapered it'll stay on nice and snug.

It's like everything some like DT n some prefer QD. It really Depends on you as a shooter.
                      12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                      Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                      Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• mel
                        Chieftain
                        • Nov 2019

Originally posted by am4966 View Post
                        Your not supposed to use crush washers on suppressors. There is a chance for baffle strikes. Advise to anyone don't use one to time muzzle device or direct thread for your silencer.

FYI, there are more n more silencer companies offering a universal attChment so you can use one type of mounting device across different mfg. IMO a QD system is great, since you'll have a muzzle device if you don't use your suppressor or if you do simple way to attach it and take off. Like Klem said I've heard DT's coming loose. But some are being made to where if your muzzle is tapered it'll stay on nice and snug.

It's like everything some like DT n some prefer QD. It really Depends on you as a shooter.
                        new can i just put in for has a qd and the companys end caps will fit the can i already have so ill be able to use the qd on both

Comment

• FLshooter
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2019

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                            Chieftain
                            • Oct 2016

All cans heat up and loosen. That's part of the fun of the can. Either you have a way to clamp it tight that resists this, or you're going to need to check it. Some of the fixes I know of are pretty extreme, but it's usually just a thing to check it before every string. The good QD cans have excellent mount and clamp designs that help to mitigate this, but even with them, the suppressor should be checked to ensure it's still tight after a warm up session, and each subsequent firing string. (The same for suppressor mirage covers, don't ask how I know)

Thermal expansion is real. I learned that you don't want to heat up a QD can, transfer it to another rifle hot, and fail to remove it before it cools down. This is a recipe for cussing and discussing yourself when you're home that evening and want to clean your rifle. It'll be fun to get off after it's cooled down and clamped itself onto your MD like Atlas.
                            Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• mel
                              Chieftain
                              • Nov 2019

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post

Thermal expansion is real. I learned that you don't want to heat up a QD can, transfer it to another rifle hot, and fail to remove it before it cools down. This is a recipe for cussing and discussing yourself when you're home that evening and want to clean your rifle. It'll be fun to get off after it's cooled down and clamped itself onto your MD like Atlas.
                              just did this a few days ago took a can off my buddies bolt gun hot and put it on my grendel , needless to say it took the qd off with it when we went to test the next can , ended up unscrewing the endcap from the can putting it in the vise to seperate the qd and endcap

Comment

Working...
                              X