• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KZero
    Bloodstained
    • Jun 2020

Amend2 Mags, with photos (kinda)

My order of three Amend2 10-round Grendel magazines arrived today. Like others, they showed up the same day that the shipping info hit my inbox.

They arrived nicely packaged, in resealable plastic bags with all the nice marketing nomenclature printed on them:

Handling the magazines, they have a nice, non-cheap feel to them. The springs seems to have plenty of oomph, and the follower moves smoothly enough throughout it's travel. The texture on the front and back lower part of the magazine offers nice grip and feel, without being overly sharp or noticeable.
    Inserting the magazines into a random rifle within reach shows them insert, lock, and drop free easily, and all three locked back the bolt. I forgot to test with ammunition in them, but after all ten rounds are loaded, the stack can still be depressed a good half-inch, so I don't anticipate many issues with seating while fully loaded.

Having read of others' issues with loading, that's the first thing I wanted to check. All three of mine took the full ten rounds on the first attempt.
    As others have pointed out, after seven rounds, a little more effort is required. But for me and these three examples, I didn't find it extraordinarily difficult.
    Also noted by others, stripping the rounds out is very easy, and they will virtually fly out once you get them moving. Not anticipating feed issues lol

The ammunition is factory Hornady 123gr. SST. Overall length (averaged of 10 randomly selected rounds of the 40 I have) is 2.237"
    I wanted to show how they sit in the magazine; these look to be very near to maximum length the mag will allow.

For what it's worth, during the loading and unloading, it never felt like anything was binding or dragging.

As for the loading, someone in another post pointed out how they load differently than normal magazines that feed from both sides.
    There is a smaller, minor lip on the left side (arrow) that works with the normal feed lip on the right side to retain the round:

Placing the base of the cartridge just ahead of this minor lip, push down and back, it slides right in, with a molded-in slope on the left side helping direct the round to the right (arrow: )

Subsequent rounds load in the exact same fashion, though taking a bit more effort for the last few

So, now I have five magazines for a rifle that has yet to be built.

It will be interesting to see how they work and hold up over time.
    Hopefully this information will be helpful to someone. Thanks for taking the time to look.

p.s. Sorry for the links; I don't know if I can't post photos yet due to my newness/low post count, or what else I might be doing wrong, but I've tried two or three different hosting sites and no matter what share link I try to use, I get the message of "Invalid Link." And I'd rather not do the postage-stamp sized ones I get if I upload here directly.
    If I get it figured out, I'll edit this so it looks better.
    Kenny
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Good pics and informative post. Thank you.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• stubshaft
      Bloodstained
      • Jun 2020

Great post, thank you.
      If I agreed with you, then we'd both be wrong.

Comment

• Mustangfreek
        Warrior
        • Jan 2020

Comment

• KZero
          Bloodstained
          • Jun 2020

Thanks, guys
          Kenny

Comment

• tdbru
            Warrior
            • Dec 2019

KZero,
            the last photo of all 5 mags. are those all 10 round size? if so the Amend2 mags are quite a bit longer than the double stack variety for the same round count size. interesting.
            -tdbru

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Here is a picture of E-Lander 17 round next to 15 round CP/ASC and 10 round E-Lander next to 10 round ASC.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 07-09-2020, 03:25 AM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

I was curious, here is a picture of a C Products 15 round 6.5 Grendel mag next to a 20 round Pmag next to a mil spec 20 round 5.56/223 mag. The only difference between a C Products and ASC 15 round mags is the CP had a shiny finish and the ASC mags have a matte finish.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jjwUWc]
                Last edited by VASCAR2; 07-09-2020, 03:40 AM.

Comment

• KZero
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jun 2020

Originally posted by tdbru View Post
                  KZero,
                  the last photo of all 5 mags. are those all 10 round size? if so the Amend2 mags are quite a bit longer than the double stack variety for the same round count size. interesting.
                  -tdbru
                  The two metal magazines are actually five-rounders, one ASC and one C-Products. I imagine there is some internal limiter that can be done away with to make them hold 10; I'll have to look into it.
                  These are for my first Grendel, and was just wanting to get my hands on one of each to see which brand worked best. Also, this will be mostly shot from a bench, so sheer capacity isn't that critical for me.
                  Kenny

Comment

• VASCAR2
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Yes the bodies of five round and ten round mags are the same. The difference is the spring. The five round mag has a compressed bound spring which takes up space to permit fewer cartridges. I only have one 5 round C Products mag which only holds four rounds. Supposedly C Products count a chambered round into their stated capacity. My CP fifteen round mags only hold fourteen rounds. My C Products ten round mag only hold nine rounds. My 25 round CP mag only holds 24.

My E-Lander mags hold the stated capacity, 10, 17 and 24 rounds.

My ASC ten round mags hold ten rounds and my 25 round ASC mag holds 25.
                    Last edited by VASCAR2; 07-09-2020, 02:14 PM.

Comment

• Old Bob
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2019

All my magazines, regardless of manufacture, all held their advertised capacities, except one. I have 2 ASC 5 round magazines. One held 5 rounds & the other would only hold 4. Both mags have that limiter spring in them. I counted coils on both springs. One spring had one more coil than the other so I cut that extra coil off. Now both mags hold 5 rounds. :-)
                      I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

Working...
                      X