Which Primary Arms 3-18x50 ACSS reticle for grendel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GrendelFanatic
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2019

Which Primary Arms 3-18x50 ACSS reticle for grendel?

• Sinclair
    Warrior
    • Feb 2018

Have you even looked through a scope with an ACSS? I hate them, but many others like them. Do yourself a favor and at least hold up an ACSS reticule scope and have a look see.

To answer your question, it depends upon how critical you are. None of the ones mentioned are very close to the Grendel, at least to my concept of close enough. The Grendel starts off flat and begins a progressively and rapid decline somewhere beyond 600 to 800 yards, depending upon the bullet/mv combo. If you stay under 300 yards, I guess that the 5.56 or the .308 MIGHT be close enough for deer hunting. Some else will have a different answer, like I said, they are neither close enough for me.
    "A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
    Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
    Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.

Comment

• Lemonaid
      Warrior
      • Feb 2019

You can figure this out. First go to the manufacturers web site and go to where they explain the reticle subtensions. For example the Primary Arms SLx 3-18X50mm (this is a .308 - .223 version) it has 4.04 moa at 300 yards, 7.07 at 400 and 10.52 at 500 (there are more out to 1000 yards).
      Next using a ballistic calculator put in your favorite load data. Hornady's work's fine https://www.hornady.com/team-hornady...alculators/#!/
      Now check how close the drop in moa is between the ballistic chart and the substension. Let's use a Sierra 120 pro hunter bullet at 2600 fps. (Calculated at sea level) at 300 yards it drops 5.3 moa, 400 9 moa and 500 it drop 13.3 moa.

Comment

• GrendelFanatic
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2019

Originally posted by Sinclair View Post
        Have you even looked through a scope with an ACSS? I hate them, but many others like them. Do yourself a favor and at least hold up an ACSS reticule scope and have a look see.

To answer your question, it depends upon how critical you are. None of the ones mentioned are very close to the Grendel, at least to my concept of close enough. The Grendel starts off flat and begins a progressively and rapid decline somewhere beyond 600 to 800 yards, depending upon the bullet/mv combo. If you stay under 300 yards, I guess that the 5.56 or the .308 MIGHT be close enough for deer hunting. Some else will have a different answer, like I said, they are neither close enough for me.

Comment

• GrendelFanatic
          Bloodstained
          • Sep 2019

Originally posted by Lemonaid View Post
          You can figure this out. First go to the manufacturers web site and go to where they explain the reticle subtensions. For example the Primary Arms SLx 3-18X50mm (this is a .308 - .223 version) it has 4.04 moa at 300 yards, 7.07 at 400 and 10.52 at 500 (there are more out to 1000 yards).
          Next using a ballistic calculator put in your favorite load data. Hornady's work's fine https://www.hornady.com/team-hornady...alculators/#!/
          Now check how close the drop in moa is between the ballistic chart and the substension. Let's use a Sierra 120 pro hunter bullet at 2600 fps. (Calculated at sea level) at 300 yards it drops 5.3 moa, 400 9 moa and 500 it drop 13.3 moa.

Comment

• biodsl
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2011

For their original 1-6 scope, PA recommends zeroing one inch high at 100 yards if using the military Mk 262 load of a 77 grain Matchking at 2700-2750 fps. Here's a chart attempting to match various Grendel loading to the Mk 262 ballistics.

ACSS Drops.jpg
            Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Comment

• drewthebrave
                Warrior
                • Aug 2016

If you really want to get into long range shooting, I would advise that you get a reticle that has evenly spaced hashmarks measured in MIL or MOA instead of a BDC (bullet drop compensating) reticle. Find out what your shooting buddies use (MIL or MOA) and get a scope with a reticle that matches theirs. Having a consistent unit of measurement really helps you spot your misses (1 MIL left, 0.5 MIL low) in a unit that everyone can use quickly & easily.

If you're not sure what to get, SWFA makes a good fixed magnification scope in either MIL or MOA with an easy to read crosshair that will serve you well no matter your skill level. It's a scope that will last a lifetime and then some, has very good glass, and will help you learn the basics on a budget without sacrificing quality. When you're ready to upgrade, you can keep this as a backup, put it on a hunting rifle, use it for a rimfire trainer, or sell it for a small loss (there's always someone looking to buy one of these).

Comment

• Sinclair
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2018

I agree with drewthebrave. The scope on my CZ is the SWFA SS 10 x 42 with Mil Quad reticule. Simple, easy to do the math in my head, on the fly, and a bright, well made scope. They are the civilianized version of a Navy Contract rifle scope. Nobody knows why or for what the Navy is buying them, but it is good for us civies. The reticle appears to be an upside down German No. 4 With mil hash marks. The Army turned down a similar reticle during Viet Nam, but after several hours studying the reticle and as well as dry firing, I can effortlessly make elevation and windage adjustments with just the hash marks. It all depends upon what you are able to get comfortable using.
                  "A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
                  Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
                  Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• GrendelFanatic
                      Bloodstained
                      • Sep 2019

I like the Arc2. PA makes a 3-18 with a moa grid. It is way too complicated for me to take advantage of. Out of curiosity, what scope mount are you using with the 4-14?

Comment

• VASCAR2
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Comment

• grayfox
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2017

Since it is on my ruger predator (bolt gun) I'm using vortex 30mm rings, I think the low set, it has a pic rail already there so elevation is fine for the scope bell.
                          I like stuff like rings to be put-it-on-and-forget... I had one of a utg set break, so I went to the vortex.

Comment

• FRB6.5
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2018

Most of the ACSS reticles are in Strelok. The free version of the app will work fine for what you are trying to figure out and you can see exactly what each stadia line equals for your load.

Comment

• grayfox
                              Chieftain
                              • Jan 2017

True. I think also the Arc2-moa is in there, the free version, which is what I have.
                              He seems to update and add to even the free version from time to time.
                              In any case, try to visualize both the scope and what you will do with it.
                              If using more than one bullet or load setup, which is what I do with each of my rifles, I still think the straight mil or moa type scale is the most versatile.

Comment

Working...
                              X