• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spool
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2020

Solid Scope for Hog Hunting

Hey all, as I am awaiting my LaRue UU to come in I've been looking for scopes that will do me well for hog & deer out to about 300 yards with low light conditions (dusk/dawn).

I have had my eye on the SWFA SS HD 1-4 & 1-6 illuminated options, as well as a Viper PST 1-6, though I would prefer MIL over MOA.

Price range wise looking somewhere in the $500 range, but am able to flex up a bit if it will get me a fair improvement, it's a hunting rifle so I don't plan on babying it and a $2,000 scope would make me do so.

Curious what people are using out in the field that they like.
  • mdram
    Warrior
    • Sep 2016

did you post this on reddit?
    i gave a reply there
    just some targets for printing
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• Spool
      Unwashed
      • Jul 2020

Originally posted by mdram View Post
      did you post this on reddit?
      i gave a reply there
      That I did, was not sure which had more traffic, I appreciate it

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

I love my viper pst gen 2 1-6 power for 300 and closer hunting and banging steel out too 600 yards.

Have a extra one and mount I'm selling if your interested.

Comment

• wreckster84
          Bloodstained
          • Jun 2020

I have a general question about hunting with 1-4, 1-6, or similar scopes. The rule of thumb for light transmission for all optics is the larger the objective/magnification ratio, the more light you get. These lower power scopes have such small objective lens, how can they work well in low light?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by wreckster84 View Post
            I have a general question about hunting with 1-4, 1-6, or similar scopes. The rule of thumb for light transmission for all optics is the larger the objective/magnification ratio, the more light you get. These lower power scopes have such small objective lens, how can they work well in low light?
            Better glass.

The 1-6 I have are surprisingly bright at last light and I can easly pick out a hogs ear under a feeder light from 50 yards.

Only thing I can think of is the better glass being used in scopes these days.

Comment

• Spool
              Unwashed
              • Jul 2020

Originally posted by wreckster84 View Post
              Also to add.

Increasing magnification decreases light, lower mags don't need as much light as a high mag

So the question ends up being what is good enough for your application from a size / weight basis / light / mag basis.
              Last edited by Spool; 07-23-2020, 10:17 PM.

Comment

• FLshooter
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2019

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Spool,

You may as well get technical and figure out the exit pupil if talking about how objectives and magnifications influence light transmission. Exit pupils are the cone of light able to exit the optic and into your eyes. It's calculated by the objective diameter divided by the magnification.

I have a 1-4*24 PST which is a light, compact short-range scope. At max magnification the exit pupil is 4mm (24/4 = 6mm). The pupil of a human eye is roughly 4.5mm during daylight and dilates to 7mm at night. At max magnification you are getting 6mm of light through the scope; great for daylight and pretty good for night, but 4x is not a huge magnification. At close range this is not an issue however. Your eyes can take and want more light at night. A larger scope has the potential to exit more light so you can have higher magnifications but still see well at night. A compact NF 2.5-10*42 on 6x has a 7mm exit pupil...perfect for both day and night shooting. If you crank it up to 10x its not so good for night shooting but perfect for daylight shooting.

The more you crank it up the less field of view so it's a bunch of trade-offs.

The quality of glass is also a factor in light transmission.
                  Last edited by Klem; 07-23-2020, 11:58 PM.

Comment

• drewthebrave
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2016

I replied on Reddit as well. I think you'd do well with A5BLASTER's Viper 1-6x for sale in the classifieds here. Sounds like exactly what you're looking for. I prefer 9-10x on the high end, but the Viper is a very good scope if you want 1x on the low end.

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                    I love my viper pst gen 2 1-6 power for 300 and closer hunting and banging steel out too 600 yards.
                    Have a extra one and mount I'm selling if your interested.

Comment

• PVBoom
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2017

I think you can do a little bit better with a 56mm Objective scope. Any thing smaller and you are leaving better performance on the table.

If you didn't want mil/mil I think you should be looking at the Trijicon AccuPoint 2.5-10X56, which is widely regarded as one of the best low light scopes.
                      At closer distances you would probably be fine with the triangle post, but their MOA dot otherwise.
                      This is the same great low light hunting scope as the Trijicon standard cross-hair scope, but with the added feature of mildots, making it ideal for precision long range shooting. And if you need assistance in determining mildot points of impact our staff will be glad to help. Trijicon Specifications Quick Review magnification range: 2.5-10x scope length: 13.80 inches scope weight: 20.70 ounces eye relief: 4.1 - 2.8 inches scope finish: matte black

So for mil/mil I think you should consider the Trijicon AccuPower 2.5-10X56 MIL-SQUARE CROSSHAIR W/GREEN LED
                      Trijicon Specifications Quick Review magnification range: 2.5-10x scope length: 13.5 inches scope weight: 23.6 ounces eye relief: 4 inches scope finish: matte black

The specs on those show the exit pupil at 15.3 - 5.6mm (AccuPoint) or 15.6 - 5.6mm (AccuPower)

Comment

Working...
                      X