• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maximus83
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2019

Magnification range for a general purpose optic on 18" upper

I have a PF 18" upper used mostly for target shooting (mostly on a 100-600y range, occasional access to 1000y), or for hunting.

Looking for an optic with a good magnification range that will....
    • Not get TOO long/bulky for the compact size of the rifle (let's say 13" max length), and not too heavy for carrying
    • Still give enough magnification to stretch the legs of the PF and take advantage of its accuracy potential beyond 300y.

What's the best magnification range for that? I've thinking 3 possibilities:
    * 2.5-10x on the low end (I use 1-6x on my 5.56 AR's, but that doesn't seem like enough scope here)
    * Maybe the 3-15x or 3-18x optics in the middle
    * Something like 4-20x (or with new 8x optics like the NF NX8, 2.5-20x) at the high end.

They all have their trade-offs, obviously. I'm inclined to go with something in the 2 or 2.5-10x range, keep it light and handy, and not overload the rifle with a big bulky optic. Especially interested in the new Vortex Razor 1-10x (if you could actually find one in stock). But then I see other folks running up to 18x or 20x top end scopes on Grendels, with the rationale it helps with the longer range target shooting. Seems like my usage will be concentrated around shorter ranges, and some degree of carry/hunting, so that usage should drive the selection of a more handy optic.

Thoughts on best magnification range? What have been your experiences of the trade-offs?
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

I use a march 1-10x24 and have shot it out to 500np. Im not shooting groups, just banging steel. Nightforce has some 2-10 stuff to. If your wanting to shoot groups then you might want to go up some.

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

A March 3-24*50 is a good Grendel all-rounder for its magnification range and compact size and weight. I don't think 2.5-10 will cut it for anything other than steel at 600yds and definitely not 1,000. That said, the NF 2.5-10*42 is a great compact scope for the AR. Not too big for a 223 or Grendel at hunting ranges but if you shoot groups at 600yds frequently you will want more top end.

As for the occasional 1,000yds the 3-24 March will work. But you can also swap it out for the biggest, highest magnification scope you can find and clamp it on just for that day.

Comment

• maximus83
        Bloodstained
        • Jul 2019

Fair enough, on the need for the larger optic.

I like the point about perhaps running the larger optic for the common case (the range), then swap it out for a lighter optic, for hunting. I already run my AR optics in one-piece mounts, so it's easy to swap them between rifles and re-zero for the different caliber.

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• maximus83
            Bloodstained
            • Jul 2019

You guys have convinced me I need a little more scope. I'm looking at options that top out at 20x or 24x.

Already have a NF NX8 2.5-20x50, a great little scope. A little heavier than I had planned, at about 28oz, but man it has great glass. I could potentially move that one to the Grendel in a QD mount, and potentially get a larger mag scope (say, 5-25x) for my 6.5 CM bolt gun.

Comment

• drewthebrave
              Warrior
              • Aug 2016

For my 18" Grendel, I'm really happy with the 3-15x SWFA for a relatively handy (< 9 lb) do-all rifle. I used a 3-9x for a bit, but having the 15x mag on the top end really was helpful when shooting at 600+. I'm considering a LPVO or 2-10x for a lightweight 12" Grendel build I'm brainstorming... For your use, a 2-10x would work for hunting, but you might be wishing for a little more mag for target shooting at 600+ .

That NF 2.5-20 seems like it would be dang near perfect for what an 18" Grendel is capable of!

Comment

• maximus83
                Bloodstained
                • Jul 2019

Yeah Drew I've seen that 3-15x SWFA scope, they produce some very cost-effective quality glass that is made in Japan. How do you like that scope, esp the reticle and glass, and using it at 15x?

Comment

• Bigs28
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2016

My buddy i shoot with uses the eotech vudu and loves it.

Comment

• drewthebrave
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2016

I have the discontinued SFP model with the diamond reticle, which is great for my uses: mostly target shooting, and future plans to hunt (hog, deer, coyote). I was initially looking for the FFP version, but I found a used SFP at a price that was too good to pass up. The glass is good for the money, it tracks true, and I have 100% confidence in the scope's durability. I feel like it's an easy recommendation for a starter/midrange scope, because you get something that just plain works, and you're not paying for a bunch of extra features that don't really matter for most practical shooting.

If you can find them used under $600 (samplelist.com had tons, pre-COVID), they're great deals. At $700 for a new one, you might want to consider stepping up to the $800+ range with a Burris XTR 2, Viper PST G2, Athlon Ares BTR/ETR, or Meopta Optika6 for some more modern features like illumination, zero stops, tree reticles, etc. (if that's important to you).

For what it's worth, I appreciate the simplicity of the SWFA reticles and don't feel limited in any way by the lack of those "modern" features. If a utilitarian optic suits you, you'll be pretty happy with an SWFA.

Comment

• diggler1833
                      Bloodstained
                      • Aug 2020

I run an older Busnell Elite Tactical 3-12 FFP on one of my 18" 5.56 rifles, and it works great. I've only killed a few coyotes with it, but I rarely found myself in a situation where I was fighting with the scope to get a shot off.

My 18" 5.56 ranch rifle wears a Burris XTR II in 1-8, and I really like that setup. It isn't high-end glass, but it hasn't failed me yet either. I've killed five daylight hogs and a coyote with it this summer. I really reccomend the 1-6, or 1-8 optics on a working rifle.

Comment

• Wethepeople
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2020

I have the PST G2 2x10*32 on a Grendel 18" and a .223 18" DMR. My eyes are old so I have days where my vision is pretty good, others days it's pretty blurred. Shooting steel @ 1000 hasn't been problematic for me thus far. On my crappy days I wear my prescription glasses and just dial down the diopter. I'd say that 90% of the time I'm just using shooting glasses.

Comment

• Grendelshooter
                          Warrior
                          • Jun 2017

Comment

• VASCAR2
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Comment

• PVBoom
                              Warrior
                              • Oct 2017

3x15 was my first thought for versatility and some service at longer ranges as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X