Leupold won't fix my scope, but went way beyond to make it RIGHT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gos
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2017

Leupold won't fix my scope, but went way beyond to make it RIGHT!

Back in the early 80's I spent a paycheck on what was at the time a great rifle scope. I bought a Leupold 20x Gold Ring for distance shooting, and proofing out hand loads from the bench. I figured that this optic would eliminate the scope as a variable and let me focus on finding the "right load" for each rifle I worked with; and it did. This scope has been on everything from the 22 zipper to the 338/375 Ruger without a flaw; until last month!

I was working up a load for a distance wildcat round 6.5-30/06 when it went out of focus. I had to dial the parallax to zero then back to 300 to get it clear, after each round fired. Obviously something came loose inside.
    I contacted Leupold, got a return authorization number for shipping and sent it off. A couple of weeks later, I found out that they refused to repair my old 20x Gold Ring. See quote below.

"Thank you for writing us! Unfortunately we no longer make that exact scope, or one that is really even close. However we are more than happy to replace the optic with something comparable under the lifetime warranty. I would be happy to provide a few different options for replacement:
    VX-3i 6.5-20x40mm EFR
    Competition 45x45mm
    Please let me know if you have any further questions!
    Best,
    David"

Since this is my go to optic for fine tuning hand loads, I opted for the 45x45. Today I have my new Leupold in hand, and WOW! What a piece of Glass! I already warned my Mrs. that should Leupold ever make a truck with their same warranty, I'm buying one!

Sorry I could not post a picture, the ones I took keep getting rejected.
  • peak98
    Warrior
    • Dec 2019

Comment

• TomSawyerNW
      Warrior
      • Nov 2015

I can also vouch for Leupold's customer service. I have an old 3 x 10 that came with a rifle I purchased second hand. Without a doubt, the scope had some years behind it. I was working with the turrets which were difficult to turn (the kind you use a dime to twist and turn), until something clicked and the elevation turret just froze in place. I sent it to Leupold with the idea of paying to have that part replaced (the glass was perfect & I bought it with the rifle at a good price, so I didn't mind paying to update the scope). Within a few weeks, they returned the scope with 2 new turrets and a note "no charge".

Other manufacturers might also have good customer service, but I can't imagine any being better than Leupold. When I think of paying alot of $$$ for a scope, Leupold is always my first consideration.
      If the Democrats had been in power when this country was founded, we'd be the British.

Comment

• Jakegsxr11
        Warrior
        • Nov 2016

I sure hope vortex does similar for me. I bought a viper pst 1-6 and I can barely turn the turrets. Also the red dot bleeds when off and shows Starburst patterns when on (lowest setting). I sent it back once and they said they cleaned and greased it. The illumination is apparently normal. It is still the same. It's the most expensive scope I have and the worst of the bunch. Next time I'll maybe try a leupold.

Comment

• FLshooter
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Jakegsxr11 View Post
          I sure hope vortex does similar for me. I bought a viper pst 1-6 and I can barely turn the turrets. Also the red dot bleeds when off and shows Starburst patterns when on (lowest setting). I sent it back once and they said they cleaned and greased it. The illumination is apparently normal. It is still the same. It's the most expensive scope I have and the worst of the bunch. Next time I'll maybe try a leupold.
          Vortex customer service is second to none. Not only will they fix it, they will have it back to you within 10 days.

Comment

• Jakegsxr11
            Warrior
            • Nov 2016

Vortex did finally send me a new scope. This one is much better.

Comment

• Bretandry
              Bloodstained
              • May 2021

Yep hard to beat that kind of Customer service. I had a similar thing with SIG I bought a used BDX and the levleplex was off just a bit. Called them and sent it in and in a week and a half i had a BRAND NEW scope and a box of "shwag"

Comment

Working...
              X